Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Protecting yourself and pet from coyotes

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-26-2018 @ 07:34 PM
    Thanks

Protecting yourself and pet from coyotes

I have a cottage which is located in the woods about 3/4 of a mile from the township road. Every day I do three return trips. There are many deer here in the winter which attract coyotes. My neighbour (who gets up much earlier than I) has seen fishers in the early hours also. I had bear tracks at my place about 7 years ago to boot.
    I take my 27 pound corgi with me on a leash. How can I protect us from an attack? I'd love to be able to have a handgun but carrying one here isn't allowed. Suggestions?
    Ransx77 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Thanks
    The cans of bear pepper spray that they market to hikers is probably all you'd need. Since a handgun is out, you'd probably have to go to a shotgun if you wanted that level of... deterrent.
    HydroHarold and Levi like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    The coyotes won't bother you. They won't bother your dog either, if on leash with you. If you allow your dog to roam free, then it can become coyote food. Not an issue for a larger dog, but could be for a Corgi, with coyotes being a pack.

Put your mind at ease. I have 4 different packs of coyotes near me, and can tell each pack by the noises they make when out hunting. My dogs remain in a securely fenced yard around the house, unless they are next to me or indoors, but my largest one now is 22 pounds.

Smaller dogs are likely to become prey for owls, hawks and falcons, even in the yard, so I never let smaller dogs out alone during the times of peak hunting of birds of prey.

Welcome to the country!! You will soon learn to enjoy the lifestyle, and know what is safe, and what requires worry.

Bears on the other hand, I have no real experience with. Can you carry a rifle or shotgun?
    Last edited by farmgirl19; 02-21-2015 at 08:12 AM.
    Levi likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,328 Times in 2,601 Posts
    When I lived in Alaska and was out in nature, bears didn't present much of an issue. They are pretty easily scared of by what they don't know. Most times if you could hear or see a bear, he saw or heard you long before you did. They key was to make noise and be seen. Pepper spray offers so little protection it isn't funny. The bear has to be right on top of you in order for you to spray him with it. They have very short range and bears are ridiculously fast. The bear won't hold still for you to shoot a little irritant in his face. Even if you were successful with the spray, all you would have is a really mad bear at this point. Take a good healthy walking stick with you and make noise. You don't need to be rediculous, but don't be stealthy. I always carried a gun of some kind, but never needed it.

There was on ongoing tale to tell the tourists who asked this very question. We would tell them to buy the pepper spray and some cat bells that you put on a cat's collar. This way you were making noise out in the woods. It was always good to know what kind of bears are out there, so we would educate them on the bear scat. Black bear scat was greasy and was in a pile similar to a cow patty. Grizzly bear scat smelled like pepper and had little bells in it.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Pepper spray offers so little protection it isn't funny. The bear has to be right on top of you in order for you to spray him with it. They have very short range and bears are ridiculously fast.
    It does work wonders on coyotes though.... Which is he more likely to run into?

There was on ongoing tale to tell the tourists who asked this very question. We would tell them to buy the pepper spray and some cat bells that you put on a cat's collar. This way you were making noise out in the woods. It was always good to know what kind of bears are out there, so we would educate them on the bear scat. Black bear scat was greasy and was in a pile similar to a cow patty. Grizzly bear scat smelled like pepper and had little bells in it.
    When I lived up in Maine people used to hike with a handgun in case they ran into a bear. We used to suggest that they remove the front sight. That always got a puzzled look from people until you'd explain that it would be a lot less painful when that handgun was being removed from their butt. A .38 special isn't going to slow down your average bear...
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    My only time to be around bears was also in Alaska. I was in an area where salmon were spawning at the time. Saw a momma and her cubs, and several big boys catching salmon. (Wasn't much "catching" to it, as it was in the spawning "hole", and the salmon were dying anyway.)) I saw them, and am sure they knew I was there, but kept my distance. They didn't give me much of a second thought, with the easy meals available. And I never was close enough to be a real threat to the cubs, so momma just noted I was there.

I've never had a fear of wildlife, but did show them respect. What Jason posted from his experience living in AK, I guess my experience was the norm.

This thread made me think of this video...

Last edited by farmgirl19; 02-21-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: add video
    Levi, spferdil, Yamaguy and 1 others like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideau View Post
    I have a cottage which is located in the woods about 3/4 of a mile from the township road. Every day I do three return trips. There are many deer here in the winter which attract coyotes. My neighbour (who gets up much earlier than I) has seen fishers in the early hours also. I had bear tracks at my place about 7 years ago to boot.
    I take my 27 pound corgi with me on a leash. How can I protect us from an attack? I'd love to be able to have a handgun but carrying one here isn't allowed. Suggestions?
    id be more concerned about the bigfoot....
    ColonyPark, HydroHarold and tj1 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 AM
    Thanks
    The only contact I had with bears is with Yogi and Smokey. Oh, and Gentle Ben.
    Levi likes this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Bear species and location can really vary. Around here we have a large Black Bear population - actually one of the most dense populations of the state. They are very docile and timid here - unless of course you come across a mama bear and her cubs.

The coyotes around here will mostly be alone except during a bad winter they will pack up to hunt together. Coyotes are also very timid unless they are starving during a bad winter. A small handgun will dispatch a coyote fairly easily, but will do nothing for a Black Bear but to piss them off.

As was said already - walk your dog on a leash and also make some noise now and then (every couple minutes) and you'll be fine. The coyotes and bear will do whatever they can to avoid you unless you corner them.
    Levi and Rideau like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    I would think you are fairly safe but a can of bear spray and some thing to help make noise to alert an animal that you are coming so you don't spoke it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast