Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Trees Coming Down Today

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks

Trees Coming Down Today

I had a couple of trees blow over in a storm a few years ago that hung on another tree. The trees are still alive and originally were only at about a 20 degree angle. Well, over the past couple of years they have slowly been pushing the 3rd tree until they started pushing on a 4th tree. Now the original trees are at a 45 degree or greater lean with the other trees being pulled out of the ground. There is a slim chance that tree #4 could reach the house. As much as they are leaning, I fear they could hold a lot of snow, and if we got a heavy wet snow that might be enough weight to take everything down.

That tangled mess is too much for me and my neighbor to tackle, so I had to call in the pros. Gonna cost me a $1000 just to have everything put on the ground.

Here they are. Trees 1 and 2 are the 2 on the left. They first started impacting the one at the far right of the group (one that is bent like a bow). When they got far enough, just a 6-8 inch branch hung on the one in the middle and started pulling it out of the ground.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trees.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	661600

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trees Closeup.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	661602
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thats going to be a lot of firewood to split.
    ColonyPark, OxPath and rw580 like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rw580 View Post
    That tangled mess is too much for me and my neighbor to tackle, so I had to call in the pros. Gonna cost me a $1000 just to have everything put on the ground.
    Money well spent in my opinion! That job has "Emergency Room Visit" written all over it.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, PaDave and 6 others like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Thanks
    Easy solution. Don't take them down yourself. Don't hire someone to take them down for you. Just don't look at them at all, and wait for a big snowstorm to do it for free
    pappa, OxPath, coaltrain and 1 others like this.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    Money well spent in my opinion! That job has "Emergency Room Visit" written all over it.
    AGREED
    OxPath and rw580 like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Kinda depends on how you plan to get them down as to whether its dangerous or not.
    Ive got a few of those around here, and slowly but surely, Im getting them taken care of.
    The last two were a piece of cake. Took a couple chains (only needed one), hooked around the base of the furthest leaner, hooked to the 2025, and pull. Easy peasy.
    Rinse and repeat for the 2nd one on that mess.
    Both came down nice and easy.

The big one in the back of the woods is a bit more of an issue, as its MUCH larger than the other two I pulled over.
    They were less than 12" in diameter and about 40-50'. The bigger one is near 70', and is 15-18" across at the base.
    Now, the 2025 wont touch it, so Im not even going to attempt that.
    The first thing Ill try is throwing a rope over it, pulling a chain or strap around it nearer the top, and just winching it over to twist it off the other tree its hung up on.
    Since its been dead for quite some time, I expect some of the smaller stuff in the top to break loose and let it fall.
    Should that NOT work, and its possible it wont, I plan to wait until the field is frozen good, then take the truck around, and use it to pull it backward out of the tree. Once it starts to move, they generally just fall straight down nice and easy, but I have had to pull one quite a ways to get it completely down.
    Pulling like that, there is almost no danger, unless someone is dumb enough to be standing near the tree.
    You are basically pulling the bottom out of it, assuming you can move it.

Ive seen several guys who will cut those, and while thats a solution for a well practiced arborist, its not something Im going to try. While you can see the lean, there isnt much way to accurately assess the stresses in the tree and know which way its going to go once you cut part of it off at the bottom.
    If I cant pull them, Ill leave them.
    Ive got one thats hung up darn good in a Hickory. Its going nowhere until it rots out of that tree.

This is one of those things I planned to get pictures of as I progress, so I can maybe post some about it on here.
    Now, remembering to actually do that, thats the hard part!
    OxPath, jdforever, keane and 2 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    Without doubt or hesitation. Grab a coffee, have a seat and watch the show unfold in safety.
    Unless Gizmo2 was there to supervise you, I'd just let it go and live to fight another day.
    Last edited by PaDave; 12-11-2018 at 06:17 PM.
    Gizmo2, OxPath, Treefarmer and 1 others like this.
    3520, Sicma 74 tiller, 12Kw PTO gen, 72"auto connect deck, 300cx FEL, 61"HD w/JD toothbar & 6ft snow pusher, JD Ballast box w/Extension, Land Pride FDR-2584 finish mower,

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    It was a good show and money well spent. After they got the 2 major leaners down, they started on the one with the big bow in it. He barely got the saw in to it and that was enough to relieve tension and that sucker split up the middle about 15 or 20 feet so that top was almost touching the ground while still attached to the trunk, making a big upside down U. Also, when the leaners came down, the middle tree sprung back and forth and ended up on the wrong side of a good tree. That put it on a direct course to hit the house so they had to get a rope around the top and hang it from the good tree and slowly cut away the base, pretty impressive.

Only some minor damage to the fence (just wire and T post anyway) when one of the crowns landed and exploded branches everywhere. Some branches came real close to nailing a window, good thing the company was L&I.

Now I just need to slice those suckers up and get 'em split so they'll be ready to burn next winter.
    ColonyPark, PaDave, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Thanks

That sounds like like it was a good show indeed!
    rw580 likes this.
    3520, Sicma 74 tiller, 12Kw PTO gen, 72"auto connect deck, 300cx FEL, 61"HD w/JD toothbar & 6ft snow pusher, JD Ballast box w/Extension, Land Pride FDR-2584 finish mower,

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 AM
    Thanks

Laundry issue?

It was a good show and money well spent. After they got the 2 major leaners down, they started on the one with the big bow in it. He barely got the saw in to it and that was enough to relieve tension and that sucker split up the middle about 15 or 20 feet so that top was almost touching the ground while still attached to the trunk, making a big upside down U. Also, when the leaners came down, the middle tree sprung back and forth and ended up on the wrong side of a good tree. That put it on a direct course to hit the house so they had to get a rope around the top and hang it from the good tree and slowly cut away the base, pretty impressive.

Only some minor damage to the fence (just wire and T post anyway) when one of the crowns landed and exploded branches everywhere. Some branches came real close to nailing a window, good thing the company was L&I.

Now I just need to slice those suckers up and get 'em split so they'll be ready to burn next winter.
    Those splits can be deadly and one reason I hate dealing with leaning trees. Did they cutter have a change of clothes handy?

Treefarmer
    PaDave and rw580 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast