Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: building next to trees

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 03:39 PM
    Thanks

building next to trees

Some day we would like to put a garage on our property. Due to the weird layout of our property we are kind of limited to two places to put it, and both are pretty close to some large trees. I want to keep as many of these old trees on our property as I can. How close can I build to a tree without affecting it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    Depends on lots of things. The root structure of the tree being a biggie. Some trees have a central tap root that usually grows pretty much straight down. The root structure is almost all downward so it isn't very wide. Others are more shallow rooted and the roots spread out sideways more than down. Their roots can go 30'- 40' ft from the trunk of the tree.

Then of course, you have t look at what your building. Will your garage slab need footers dug down below a frost line? Or can you go with just a simple slab on grade? The less digging you do, teh less roots get disturbed.

I'd start by figuring out what kind of trees they are and figure out their root system. That'll give you most of the info you need right there.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Depends on lots of things. The root structure of the tree being a biggie. Some trees have a central tap root that usually grows pretty much straight down. The root structure is almost all downward so it isn't very wide. Others are more shallow rooted and the roots spread out sideways more than down. Their roots can go 30'- 40' ft from the trunk of the tree.

Then of course, you have t look at what your building. Will your garage slab need footers dug down below a frost line? Or can you go with just a simple slab on grade? The less digging you do, teh less roots get disturbed.

I'd start by figuring out what kind of trees they are and figure out their root system. That'll give you most of the info you need right there.
    The type of tree certainly matters and it may come down to how much you want a garage and how much you like the trees. One option would be something like a pole building without a perimeter foundation extending below ground. Any roots under the roof will eventually be a problem but it would give trees more time to adjust. A metal building anchored by ground anchors would have minimal impact as would a portable building/garage.

One other issue is that large trees usually shed limbs. Some trees are worse than others about dropping limbs but all will drop some over time.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Thanks
    As already stated, with the right foundation and and a little foresight, you can build pretty close.

I built my garage within 6' of a mature, >30" diameter at the time, maple tree. The tree is at the gable end of the garage and nearly centered. The season before construction, I did some major pruning on the garage-side of the tree. I needed clearance and I also pruned some limbs that looked like future problems. Pruning early gave the tree some time to recover before I intruded on its root system.

The garage is on an Alaskan slab on top of 12" of crushed stone over hard pan. Some surface roots were disturbed when removing the top soil, but nothing major. I dump both front and back gutters to the tree-end of the garage and the tree likely receives more water from the gutters than it did before the garage was erected.

It's been nearly 30 years and the tree is thriving. With the tree being mature when I built, there has been no noticeable change in the root system and there is no sign of intrusion with the foundation. It loses a few small branches on the roof every now and then and the over-abundant leaves in the gutters are a pain in the neck, but I'd build in the same spot if I had to do it over.
    Last edited by OxPath; 12-12-2018 at 06:40 AM.
    PJR832 likes this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    Years ago I would have agreed with others here, today, I'd have to say 60ft.
    Kennyd, etcallhome, pappa and 4 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    The type of tree certainly matters and it may come down to how much you want a garage and how much you like the trees. One option would be something like a pole building without a perimeter foundation extending below ground. Any roots under the roof will eventually be a problem but it would give trees more time to adjust. A metal building anchored by ground anchors would have minimal impact as would a portable building/garage.

One other issue is that large trees usually shed limbs. Some trees are worse than others about dropping limbs but all will drop some over time.

Treefarmer
    Not only the shedding of limbs which is real - some trees are just plain old dirty constantly dropping sap and other goodies on the building and any vehicles/equipment outside.

I agree with Gizmo when he says 60’ is a good rule or thumb. I look at what our power company has for their right of way which is also about 60’. It really isn’t enough for the 80’-100’ trees around here but that is all they can get - a lot of times a lot less than that.

Also something else to think about as far as the above ground part. When you take some trees out for the building itself you are leaving an open space. Over the coming years the surrounding trees will grow most of their limbs into that open space seeking sunlight and will eventually get heavy on the building side.

But with all that said I have huge trees within 10’ of both my house and barn - just the way it is around here living in the big woods.
    etcallhome, mark02tj and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 03:39 PM
    Thanks
    I sketched up the property layout. I was thinking the ideal spot would be under the compass up against the neighbors fence facing north. Most of the trees are maples 30'-40' tall. I think a 30' x 20' would be ideal for what we need, and I have been looking at pole buildings too. I would like a cement slab, but if I can get crushed packed down hard enough to roll jacks and engine lifts on it I'll be happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOUSE.jpg   side of house.jpg  
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, OxPath and 2 others like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Years ago I would have agreed with others here, today, I'd have to say 60ft.
    I agree to a point. if the est tree height is now 60' clean an area at least double that to 120.

I believe you stated these are older trees, these trees more than likely will not last your life time without causing you some trouble. Limbs falling off or tree blowing or falling over do you want that tree to fall on your building when your 75-85 yrs old . A large tree can look healthy on the outside,, ask Gizmo, cut into the tree and the whole inside is rotted.
    I have a few trees behind the house on the property line , they are in reach of hitting the back side of our house. I wanted to cut them this fall didn't happen , if the Good Lord is willing they will be cut come spring.

SIL is wanting to put in a pole building ,while he cutting the area around where his building will go he's going to cut those that could hit his house .

Why create a possible issue, but as others the roots can do damage to drain field to your concrete floor. Not only to your new building but to your house. If you have a septic field the roots can really cause issues.

Just because it is a pole building ,they can still have a concrete floor. My guess would be 95%-100% of pole buildings have a concrete floor after the building is built or seems the new way is to pour your concrete slab and then build a pole structure on top of the concrete,, still a pole building.
    Last edited by etcallhome; 12-12-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    Gizmo2, pappa and PJR832 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (12-12-2018)

12. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    I agree to a point. if the est tree height is now 60' clean an area at least double that to 120.

I believe you stated these are older trees, these trees more than likely will not last your life time without causing you some trouble. Limbs falling off or tree blowing or falling over do you want that tree to fall on your building when your 75-85 yrs old . A large tree can look healthy on the outside,, ask Gizmo, cut into the tree and the whole inside is rotted.
    I have a few trees behind the house on the property line , they are in reach of hitting the back side of our house. I wanted to cut them this fall didn't happen , if the Good Lord is willing they will be cut come spring.

SIL is wanting to put in a pole building ,while he cutting the area around where his building will go he's going to cut those that could hit his house .

Why create a possible issue, but as others the roots can do damage to drain field to your concrete floor. Not only to your new building but to your house. If you have a septic field the roots can really cause issues.
    I forgot about that.
    Good post BTW.
    etcallhome, mark02tj and PJR832 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (12-12-2018)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Those are huge old trees. I would avoid them altogether.

Being I live in the woods I pictured like what I have which are humdreds of trees just on my 6 acres. You only have a couple to deal with - build where they aren’t or remove what you have to. Old trees like that will start giving you problems in short order anyway.
    etcallhome and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast