• 4 Post By fdmars
  • 4 Post By PJR832

Thread: Fields not tended well in CT

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Thanks

Fields not tended well in CT

My nephew has 2 about 1 acre lots that were pasture when he got them. They have not been used or mowed for a year perhaps 2. I would hate to see them grow out to trash. Any ideas on how to help bring them back?
    Would you let them be and mow in spring?
    Mow them now as best we can before snow to help mulch existing grass, of course all laid down now
    Plow under and start again?
    Thx
    Last edited by fdmars; 12-20-2018 at 06:43 AM.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-26-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fdmars View Post
    My nephew has 2 about 1 acre lots that were pasture when he got them. They have not been used or mowed for a year perhaps 2. I would hate to see them grow out to trash. Any ideas on how to help bring them back?
    Would you let them be and mow in spring?
    Mow them now as best we can before snow to help mulch existing grass, of course all laid down now
    Plow under and start again?
    Thx
    We had a similar situation with a few acres at one side of the property. It was meadow that had been untended for probably 10 years. Full of thorns and nasty vegetation.
    Ended up using the neighbor's bush hog to cut it down, and then used the the MMM to cut it to about 8". Kept it cut at that length for about 6 months and it's turned into beautiful grass.
    fdmars, pcabe5, Levi and 1 others like this.
    2017 2032R (Gen2)
    FEL (220r) w/57" Bucket and 48" forks
    60D AutoConnect MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    I agree, mow it and keep mowing it, eventually the unwanted will die off and the grass will take over. Maybe a little overseeding if that is necessary.
    etcallhome, fdmars, pcabe5 and 2 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Id recommend cutting it back in the winter months, you will have less vegetation mass, which will make it easier for the machine to handle. Keep hitting it in spring once regrowth sprouts up. You can also spray it with something like remedy ultra herbicide in spring when new growth has started.
    -J.R.
    5065E MFWD
    D140 Lawn Mower / R1 rear tires / Ribs front

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 11:21 AM
    Thanks
    It may not be allowed where you are located but burning it off in the early spring is a quick way to remove old dead grass, briars and weeds. Most of my property was overgrown in weeds, burnt it off the first spring followed by cutting with a brush hog 3-4x during the growing season. It grows back as nearly all pasture grass now about 4 years later. I wouldn’t plow it all under and try starting over until you at least try keeping it mowed every 4-6 weeks during the growing season. I wouldn’t cut it this late in the year.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks

Fire

Quote Originally Posted by MTB98 View Post
    It may not be allowed where you are located but burning it off in the early spring is a quick way to remove old dead grass, briars and weeds. Most of my property was overgrown in weeds, burnt it off the first spring followed by cutting with a brush hog 3-4x during the growing season. It grows back as nearly all pasture grass now about 4 years later. I wouldn’t plow it all under and try starting over until you at least try keeping it mowed every 4-6 weeks during the growing season. I wouldn’t cut it this late in the year.
    It's really, really old school but controlled fire is very useful in controlling a lot of vegetation. Fire, combined with mowing can be an extremely good way to quickly change the landscape at potentially not a high cost. Let the fire get away from you and the cost is very high so it's something to be approached with care.

Treefarmer
    fdmars, keane, MTB98 and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Thanks
    *update* mowed the 2, 1/2 acre fields yesterday with a 60” land pride finish mower. It did very wel except for the chunk of wire I found. They were pretty wet, but sure look better. Wish I brought the schnauzers with me, they would have had a field day nailing field mice....
    Last edited by fdmars; 01-05-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fdmars View Post
    *update* mowed the 2, 1/2 acre fields yesterday. They were pretty wet, but sure look better. Wish I brought the schnauzers with me, they would have had a field day nailing field mice....
    One thing to keep in mind is if you are clearing for weed control or unwanted growth is to mow again late spring and then more during summer. You want cut the growth before it’s seeds out or you’re essentially seeding the area when you mow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fdmars, BigJim55, MTB98 and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements