Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Gravel Driveway/PAD

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks

Gravel Driveway/PAD

Hey folks looking for advice.

I had a barn built 2 years ago 30x30 with concrete floor and 10 foot pad leading into it (see pics below)

So I have been trying to get grass to grow for 2 years at the entrance to no avail and nothing but mud.

So my thoughts are to add a gravel drive leading to it.

so the area IU want to add to is 15 feet from the front (from the edge of the concrete out 15 feet) then 48 feet to (far left edge to the other gravel drive)

basically the are in the pic that has the new grass trying to grow. this pic is old.

My question is

any advice on doing this, steps to follow. I assume I cannot just dump gravel there and be good to go as there need to be some ground prep

any advice is appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161007_065907.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	665154
    mjncad, keane, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    ~Rick~

Psalm 27:1

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the
    strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Tolerance And Apathy Are The Last Virtues Of A Dying Society

2016 4105 - FEL, iMatch, Land Pride RCR1272, 5" Taylor Rotary Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Thanks
    I can tell you what I did.

Dig down about 8-12inches (to remove the topsoil and get to clay), bring in #2 stone to create a good base, then fill the rest with #73 limestone. It has served me well but that is just what I have done. I am sure others will chime in.

My neighbor just poured limestone on his grass and over time it settled and he just added more stone. After about 5-6 years of that his driveway is pretty nice and stable.

I will say that if you have any drainage issues take care of them first as it can be a headache to have water running across you gravel drive as the water will wash the stone away quickly.
    mjncad, arlen, Treefarmer and 4 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1023Easy View Post

I will say that if you have any drainage issues take care of them first as it can be a headache to have water running across you gravel drive as the water will wash the stone away quickly.
    Not sure if I would call it a drainage issue but if you look in my picture above, the right side of the fence where you see the first white section (smaller one) is where a natural run off does happen but the grass is in tact there
    Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    ~Rick~

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Thanks
    When I extended my driveway to make it a circle driveway, I dug down a few inches as I thought that was the proper way. I would never do that again. I had to have them bring another round of gravel to get the surface back up to the area around it. I used what we call around here AB3, which has a lot of fines in it which sets up like concrete after it has been wet. I is 3/4 inch size. The truck with 20 tons of gravel was able to drive over the gravel with the second round of gravel without leaving any impressions. If I had it to do over again, I would not have removed any of the existing dirt as the gravel will sink down into the dirt.

Dave
    pappa, raco232, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Good points... No disrespect to 1023easy but digging down 8-12 inches does seem extreme..

Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    When I extended my driveway to make it a circle driveway, I dug down a few inches as I thought that was the proper way. I would never do that again. I had to have them bring another round of gravel to get the surface back up to the area around it. I used what we call around here AB3, which has a lot of fines in it which sets up like concrete after it has been wet. I is 3/4 inch size. The truck with 20 tons of gravel was able to drive over the gravel with the second round of gravel without leaving any impressions. If I had it to do over again, I would not have removed any of the existing dirt as the gravel will sink down into the dirt.

Dave
    raco232 and Robnik like this.
    ~Rick~

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by testedone View Post
    Good points... No disrespect to 1023easy but digging down 8-12 inches does seem extreme..
    No worries, none taken. I did it because I was putting a drive on a freshly plowed farm field and the topsoil is very soft. It did take a lot of gravel to build it back up but it is really solid at this point. I have just never had good experience with not removing the topsoil first as it just becomes a mud mess for me.

I also got driveway quotes from a few different contractors and they were all going to do the same thing. Maybe because its a farm field?

I only mention the drainage since running water will erode the gravel quickly with a hard rain. In your situation it might not be an issue. You can see in the second picture the standing water and the culvert. Without that the stone was washing away very quickly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180324_102426.jpg   Front door 3.jpg  
    mjncad, PaDave, Ray_PA and 4 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yep, understood.

In my original pic where I have been trying to grow grass it's hard packed clay... yeah I know, grass ain't gonna grow without topsoil

Local rock crusher will deliver 21 tons for $390.00 of what we call here "crusher run now... forgot to ask him what size it was though

Probably much like what ddinham did, I am going to take off just a few inches in the places where I have top soil and then use the crusher run.

I was also told to put fabric under it

Quote Originally Posted by 1023Easy View Post
    No worries, none taken. I did it because I was putting a drive on a freshly plowed farm field and the topsoil is very soft. It did take a lot of gravel to build it back up but it is really solid at this point. I have just never had good experience with not removing the topsoil first as it just becomes a mud mess for me.

I also got driveway quotes from a few different contractors and they were all going to do the same thing. Maybe because its a farm field?

I only mention the drainage since running water will erode the gravel quickly with a hard rain. In your situation it might not be an issue. You can see in the second picture the standing water and the culvert. Without that the stone was washing away very quickly.
    mjncad, raco232, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    ~Rick~

10. Top | #8
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Thanks
    I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to put another driveway on the other side of our house.

Driveway fabric is definitely a very good idea. I was told a few years ago by different contractors that using it is the proper way to do it.
    mjncad, PaDave, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 01:32 PM
    Thanks
    My experience is similar to others, if you just dump small DIA rock over the ground it will sink in and require additional rock every couple of years. My best advise is to dump large DIA rock (the size of your fist) to make a good base and then top that with smaller DIA.
    mjncad, PaDave, raco232 and 1 others like this.
    2016 JD 2032R, front end loader, 61" bucket, Imatch, ballast box, 72" mid mount mower, Frontier RC60 rotary cutter, Woods RB72.50 rear blade, power beyond, R3 & R4 tires

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Thanks
    Once you get the gravel in place, the grass will grow just fine up through the gravel. It's not doing so well right now because you're making it feel too welcome.
    mjncad, 69project, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast