Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Corn harvest 2019

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Thanks

Corn harvest 2019

Finally got our lease fields combined today. Latest I can remember as its been so wet they havenít been able to get in the fields. Finally cold and frozen enough last Wednesday they could start again. Fields firmed up good and theses are the last fields they have to do and their done for the season.
    Shot three short videos and back to work. You can also see by second video that the I got two Gator loads of wood cut today. Other than a chilly North wind was a nice day.
    2019 corn harvest - YouTube
    2019 Corn harvest #2 - YouTube
    2019 Corn Harvest #3 - YouTube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 94D50282-49A8-4C67-A9D3-D4DFDD3A8A09.jpeg
    DRobinson, pappa, Levi and 10 others like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    That's good they got it done. I just talked to one of our farm accounts this morning, he finished up yesterday afternoon finall, my wife's cousin's farm are still going at it. I think they are down to their last 200 acres but with this storm coming through this weekend I believe whatever they get today may just be the last of it. I talked to him a few weeks ago and the yields are still quite high believe it or not, so even if he left 150+ acres standing it's not a real loss.
    DRobinson, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Harvesting corn in January in Michigan - has to be some kind of record?
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Harvesting corn in January in Michigan - has to be some kind of record?
    Latest I remember. Have video from 2015 on January 2nd that year but this year is the latest for sure
    Thanks Bob

JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    jdmich, I tried to get a pic of my wife's cousin combining a field along the interstate. Man oh man, the damn flash went off in side the truck, boy that was bright.

Anyway, he's using the smaller International combine that they had to buy when they picked up these fields 3 years ago because the only access is a small bridge that the JD combine is too big to cross, so they use that one with a 6 row head for those fields.
    DRobinson, Levi, keane and 3 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    jdmich, I tried to get a pic of my wife's cousin combining a field along the interstate. Man oh man, the damn flash went off in side the truck, boy that was bright.

Anyway, he's using the smaller International combine that they had to buy when they picked up these fields 3 years ago because the only access is a small bridge that the JD combine is too big to cross, so they use that one with a 6 row head for those fields.
    I had the same thing happen the other night. I was in my Gator and Tried to get a pic right at dark of a 10 point buck I’ve been seeing in our back field and the flash went off. Had to sit there for 10 minutes, I couldn’t see to drive back down the trail .
    Last edited by jdmich; 01-16-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Big fingers
    DRobinson, Levi, Old Cajun and 3 others like this.
    Thanks Bob

JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post
    I had the same thing happen the other night. I was in my Gator and Tried to get a pic right at dark of a 10 point buck Iíve been seeing in our back field and the flash went off. Had to sit there for 10 minutes, I couldnít see to drive back down the trail .

I was doing 70+ on the interstate with s light dusting of snow on the road.

But I like to live dangerously.
    DRobinson, Levi, jdmich and 3 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

Soybeans are late as well

We had people with corn still in the field in November and I think there are still some soybeans standing. It's just been too wet for people to get in the fields to finish up. Normally our harvest pattern is backwards from the midwest- we cut corn first in early September through October and beans in October and November. This year it was cut what you could on whatever land would hold up the combine and come back for the "leftovers" if the land dried up. I know of one farmer who is super careful about his land and not only did a combine get stuck but it was on tracks.

I'm not sure how much bigger combines can get for our area. It's really difficult to move them on the roads now due to the width and impatient drivers who can't stand to be behind farm equipment for 5 minutes. It used to be the header width was the limitation but now it's the width of the basic machine.

Treefarmer
    Levi, keane, jdmich and 3 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Thanks
    I saw the farmers across the street from me heading out with their combine last Thursday. I think they were towing the head to harvest the beans and not the corn head. Don't know if that finishes it up for them or not.

I can't remember still seeing crops in the field this late, although we do have one area farmer that "never seems to get around to it" until Spring. Another farmer buddy of mine told me "Well, he must be the smart one! He claims he's saving on storage fees at the grain elevator. Maybe I should do that and just pull the planter behind the combine. Think of the time I'd save each year!"
    Levi, keane, jdmich and 4 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

I knew one of those

Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    I saw the farmers across the street from me heading out with their combine last Thursday. I think they were towing the head to harvest the beans and not the corn head. Don't know if that finishes it up for them or not.

I can't remember still seeing crops in the field this late, although we do have one area farmer that "never seems to get around to it" until Spring. Another farmer buddy of mine told me "Well, he must be the smart one! He claims he's saving on storage fees at the grain elevator. Maybe I should do that and just pull the planter behind the combine. Think of the time I'd save each year!"
    I knew one of the never get around to it farmers as well. He's out of business. I don't say that if someone is late, they are a bad farmer but if they chronically miss time planting, harvesting, fertilization etc. they had better have another source of income to support their farming habit. Stuff does happen and even very good farmers have years when things go wrong but not every year.

Treefarmer
    Last edited by Treefarmer; 01-17-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    Levi, jdmich, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast