Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Yard Hydrant Problem

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks

Yard Hydrant Problem

I have a Woodford Iowa Y1 yard hydrant installed in my barn. My wife used it this morning, and it worked, but this evening the handle won't come up...the rod is locked up tight.
    My first thought was that it didn't drain back and froze, but I can blow air through the spout, and the only place it can go is through the drain hole. It has been cold, but not like last year, or the year before. I installed it myself, backfilled around the drain with pea gravel, and given the fact that it's in the barn....well I'm having a hard time accepting that it would drain back.
    The only thing different that I can think of is that my wife only ran about a pint of water (she filled her water bottle), normally we would run a minimum of 10 gal at a time, so any ice from the prior time would flush out. Since it was -13, I'm wondering if I just have some ice build up that locked the valve in place...since the drain hole appears to be clear.
    Anybody have anybody ever had this happen? I have 5 Woodford Iowa's and have never had one single problem.
    I guess the strange part to me is that I can blow air through to the drain hole.
    OxPath and BigJim55 like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    The valve is at the bottom like a fire hydrant.
    You have a handle that pulls and pushes the valve rod up top.
    Perhaps if it was sub zero when you used it, a little water flash froze in the seal that the rod passes through near handle.
    Try a little indirect heat. Being careful not to melt the seal
    coaltrain likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    arlen, It's probably froze. I've been there a couple of times. Each time it has happened to us there was no apparent rhyme or reason.
    I always figured the ground was frozen enough the water draining from the drain hole had no place to go. What you have is a small underground pool. If this is the case, you should be able to fill the pipe with hot water.

I take the top off, pour hot water down the pipe and then heat the pipe down low on the pipe with my acetylene torch until the water boils up over the top and then let it sit.

BTW, I would rebuild the bottom half of the hydrant come summer.
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 03-06-2015 at 06:42 AM.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

arlen (03-06-2015)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    Perhaps if it was sub zero when you used it, a little water flash froze in the seal that the rod passes through near handle.
    Try a little indirect heat. Being careful not to melt the seal
    We have this same issue at times, I agree with the above statement. At least as a starting point. We use hot water, as hot as we can get out of our water heater to pour over the area were the rod goes through the handle , keeping steady pull pressure on the handle. This procedure has worked well. I don't ever remember having an issue other than this , we've had the Iowa hyd. Since the mid '60 s On the farm about 6 of them, used them every day.
    ColonyPark likes this.
    - JD 1025R, R4s, H120 FEL, 53" bucket w/ hooks, 54" auto connect MMM, wheel weights
    - Artillian Forks 42",
    - Expanded piranha bucket edge
    - 72" FEL mounted snow plow,
    - Home built-35 gal 3pt. sprayer w/ pto pump, 3 pt. Hitch weight bracket w/ receiver hitch, holds 8 JD 42 lb. wts, Ballast box 3pt., w/ 6" caster wheels, stainless steel lawn roller
    - JD 425, 54" MMM, 3pt. PTO, MC 519 collection cart with hydraulic dump and power flow

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    arlen, It's probably froze. I've been there a couple of times. Each time it has happened to us there was no apparent rhyme or reason.
    I always figured the ground was frozen enough the water draining from the drain hole had no place to go. What you have is a small underground pool. If this is the case, you should be able to fill the pipe with hot water.

I take the top off, pour hot water down the pipe and then heat the pipe down low on the pipe with my acetylene torch until the water boils up over the top and then let it sit.

BTW, I would rebuild the bottom half of the hydrant come summer.
    I just couldn't believe that the drain would be saturated. When I installed it, I buried 6 feet down into porous bedrock, I dug out at least a cubic yard and backfilled with pea gravel. I insulated the whole thing with hi density foam. I don't think you could fill the drain area with a fire hose.
    Anyway, since I could blow air through the spigot, I knew the drain must be clear.
    I strung out 750 feet of garden hose from the outdoor hot water spigot on my shop to the barn. I connected it to the hydrant using a wash machine hose.
    It only took about 5 seconds to get it working.
    There must have just been a chunk of ice binding up the rod going to the bottom.
    I think when my wife use it a couple of times and just ran a tiny bit of water when it was -13 deg caused the problem.
    Looks like I dodged the bullet this time.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,074 Times in 2,540 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    ...I strung out 750 feet of garden hose...
    I don't think I could come up with that much hose if I hit up every neighbor on the street
    Gizmo2 and ejb69 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I don't think I could come up with that much hose if I hit up every neighbor on the street

I don't think any store in town has that much garden hose.......

Dave
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Believe it or not, I have 2000 feet...give or take a couple hundred feet.
    farmgirl19 and blue87fj60 like this.
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    Now that's alotta hose.
    ColonyPark likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Geeze. I thought I had a lot of garden hose with roughly 400'. My entire stock is barely more than your 'margin of error'.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast