Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: NC lawsuit appeal

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

NC lawsuit appeal

Recent lawsuits in North Carolina have resulted in very high awards for homeowners who suddenly discovered that hog farms have objectionable odors. In some cases, these homeowners lived next to the adjacent hog farm for 20 years without an issue but when out of state lawyers knocked on their door promising , everything changed.

The awards, indeed the verdicts are being appealed. For those with an interest in agriculture or even in making sure that food is in the local grocery store at a price we can afford, a friend of the court brief is available here: https://www.fb.org/files/McKiver_v_M...AFBF_et_al.pdf

For a legal brief, it's pretty readable and not overly long.

Better eat bacon while you can. If the original verdicts and awards stand, either the price will drastically increase or it will simply disappear from the grocery store. In fact, that's one of the stated aims of the original cases- they want to totally eliminate any kind of large scale production of animal agriculture. That will drastically impact what consumers will have available.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (03-09-2019), mark02tj (03-09-2019), rtgt (03-10-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:45 AM
    Thanks
    I read about this in the news a while ago. This has the potential to kill the hog industry and Smithfield in particular. Where I live it's chicken farms but they only smell occasionally and are not nearly as bad as hog farms. They seem to be accepted in this country without any problem. This is like residents who build near an airport or military base and then complain about the noise.
    mjncad, rtgt, mark02tj and 5 others like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    More of the “not in my backyard” thing.

People want electricity but don’t want to have power plants or windmills near them.

People throw garbage away like there is no tomorrow but don’t want landfills near them.

Now people want bacon and pork chops but don’t want the hog farms near them.

And for those people who lived there for 20 years already - always makes me think. If you are going to live in a house on a dirt road you don’t have a right to complain about the dust.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

JDSwan87 (03-11-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    They managed to close down all of the large hog farms, as well as the farms that "tested" livestock feed, in my region. The farms had been in the families for many generations, but all it took was some city dude and his wife, building a "McMansion" next door, to start the cascade. I'm having a sign made for my fences, because the area around me is growing so quickly. (Moving is not an option, YET.) The signs will read....

This is a farm. Farms house animals, as well as crops. Farm animals have an odor, make funny noises and have outdoor sex. If you are not OK with smells, funny noises and outdoor sex, this might not be where you want to live.

We have similar signs posted on a few airports, but we replace the "animals" part with "skydivers".

I've never understood how someone can buy or build a house next door to ab airport, then complain about the airplanes.
    mjncad, Kennyd, DRobinson and 17 others like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    They managed to close down all of the large hog farms, as well as the farms that "tested" livestock feed, in my region. The farms had been in the families for many generations, but all it took was some city dude and his wife, building a "McMansion" next door, to start the cascade. I'm having a sign made for my fences, because the area around me is growing so quickly. (Moving is not an option, YET.) The signs will read....

This is a farm. Farms house animals, as well as crops. Farm animals have an odor, make funny noises and have outdoor sex. If you are not OK with smells, funny noises and outdoor sex, this might not be where you want to live.

We have similar signs posted on a few airports, but we replace the "animals" part with "skydivers".

I've never understood how someone can buy or build a house next door to ab airport, then complain about the airplanes.
    Love this sign verbiage!

It reminds me of when we occasionally think about moving now that we are getting older and somewhat crippled up. The only thing we could afford now would be in a town it seems. When we drive by some places they all have neighbors close by.

I know I couldn’t do it but some signs like you posted would be great. Like “we have small children who will be outside screaming at the top of their lungs all day” or “I am a nosy neighbor and will be watching your every more”. That’s all I think of when I see houses next to the houses we drive by.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Thanks

Didn't know that about skydivers. Only problem I ever had with them was that they would sit on the runway & wouldn't move when you were on final approach. At least the cows did. (I learned on a dirt strip in what was then rural territory.)

Know what you mean about the transplants. I only have 13 acres, but it was carved from a dairy farm. Dearly loved the farmers, but health issues made them retire. Was truly "country" here then, but now...
    Last edited by dianedebuda; 03-09-2019 at 08:23 AM.
    mjncad, farmgirl19, rtgt and 8 others like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:37 PM
    Thanks

Hey now!! Some here may resemble that remark. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skydiver.gif 
Views:	171 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	675570
    "We're all ignorant, just in different subjects." - Will Rogers

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Thanks
    Youd think it would be about doing research before moving.
    If the hog farm was there before you moved there, tough. If it moved in AFTER, then MAYBE youd have a case.

As to the living near an airport and complaining about the airplanes, well, I do live near an airport, and have complained, so a bit of insight on that one, we knew it was there. We talked to several neighbors. We moved. Within a few weeks, a stunt plane decided it was a good idea to perform dives, rolls, etc right over our woods.
    Now, normal plane traffic from that small airport isnt a big deal, even the occasional jet taking off. They are here and gone, done. The stunt planes though, its constant, but not a constant sound, and it can be VERY loud. This is something everyone around here complains about, including the farmers.
    The reason being, once in a while a stunt plane is no big deal. 8-10 hours a day, for several weeks straight is too much for about anyone. The other issue is that one or two were flying well below 500 feet. Some would barely clear the tree tops, and thats a BIG no no according to the FAA.
    Now, we (the residents around the airport) dont constantly call and complain. We have a few people that go to the airport meetings and voice concerns about it. Usually that puts a stop to it for a while. Lately its been fine, but that 3 month stretch of non stop stunt planes over the house was pushing it for me.
    None of the stunt planes were mentioned by anyone before we moved, so we just deal with it as best we can. Nobody around here is trying to sue anyone to stop them from doing anything, but we would like them to at least fly a bit more responsibly, and with some regard for the residents around the area. And if they wont, they wont. If we cant deal with it, we move, not them. But they arent farmers either, producing food that we eat. They are more like kids racing down the road in loud cars, and that would have been put to a stop a long time ago...but planes are different than cars.

We are surrounded by farms (its Indiana), and have never really noticed the manure they spread, except maybe the day they do it, but hey, thats part of living anywhere to me. You want to eat, you deal with what farmers do. Pretty simple.
    mjncad, rtgt, Treefarmer and 4 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:37 PM
    Thanks
    I provide IT services for the local township building in a rural area (farm country). The stories the receptionist tells of calls she gets from people who obviously moved there from the city into one of the few developments that have sprung up.

- The farmer spreading fertilizer and it stinks.

- There's a bunny nest in the yard, someone come get them before something happens to them.

- There's a snake in the front yard. I'm afraid to let the kids go out and play
    I liked her reply to this one. "Tell them to go out and play in the back yard."
    Last edited by DanW; 03-09-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    mjncad, farmgirl19, rtgt and 8 others like this.
    "We're all ignorant, just in different subjects." - Will Rogers

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    Farmers are not the only ones who deal with this lunacy. I was in the radio communications business for 35 years. When cellular first started to build out, the towers were tall to achieve the range, provide some return before having to add more to support the increased subscriber load, and control the costs. Anything over 200' has to have obstruction lighting or even less within an airport's glide slope. I live in lake country and we get a lot of libs retiring here. As soon as the first tower went up near one's lakehome, he was complaining the tower lights were reflecting off the water into his bedroom at night, keeping him awake.

He had a lib county commissioner who went along with this madness and managed to pass a moratorium on new tower construction in the county, while they revised the ordinance. I ended up on the committee and so did the complainant. He wanted towers banned within 10 miles of a lake. The committee researched this and found that anything within two miles of a lake excluded the entire county. Moreover, one mile excluded 80% of the county. After a number of meetings it really didn't go anywhere and the moratorium lapsed.

It came up about 15 years later again and passed this time.

Of course, all the libs expect their cell phones to work everywhere, including their basements.
    mjncad, farmgirl19, rtgt and 6 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast