Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Driveway edging? Steel or?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Thanks

Driveway edging? Steel or?

My gravel driveway has apparently gotten wider over time. It is now up to 16 feet wide in some places. What should be grass sloping away from the driveway is driveway. So this weekend I dug up the side of the driveway to bring it back where it belongs. Now I want to do something to edge the entire length of the driveway to keep it all pretty and contained. Way too much driveway for railroad ties, landscape timbers, or 6x6s. So I think what I want to use is steel edging. It will flexible enough to shape properly, and strong enough to not fall apart in a week. The best I can find looks like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/COL-MET-...814B/100137006

I figure I can hammer it a bit into the base layer. That and stakes should be pretty solid. I will backfill topsoil up to it on the lawn side, and crusher run on the driveway side. I don't want a lot sticking up, just enough to keep it separated.

Any suggestions or other ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drive1.jpg
    mjncad, OxPath, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Driveway looks great now I have zero experience with steel edging, canít help you there, but that driveway looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OxPath, jdforever, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Installing any kind of edging like that will end up a disaster. It will hold water not alowing it to drain and will just get dug up with snow plows.

I've never seen edging of any sort used on gravel roads - been working on them at the state and township level for many years.

A gravel road takes maintenance - plain and simple. Each spring it needs to be graded. You run the grader - or in our cases our tractors with an angled rear blade - and pull the edges back in and recreate the proper crown.
    mjncad, ejb69, OxPath and 8 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Thanks
    Ok, but this is a 12ft wide 150ft long driveway, not a county highway 😁.

Without some form of hard edge, what do you suggest to keep the lawn and driveway separated?
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks
    I'd suggest some topsoil along the edge area you worked and some good grass-seed.
    2017 2032R - 220r FEL, 72" mmm,Frontier 2084 blade ,JD 670 tiller, frontier 48" pallet forks, allied 2060 snowblower,JD 513 brush hog, EA 55" grapple,Frontier 2060 box blade, Farmi 351p logging winch
    LX 186 - 48" deck, 38" snowblower
    F 510
    GTX 38
    Cub Cadet GTX 1054
    2011 825i Gator

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goat704! View Post
    I'd suggest some topsoil along the edge area you worked and some good grass-seed.
    This right here ^^^^^^^ itís a pain every spring to clean up from plowing, but itís a necessary evil. I have a few spots I reseed every year.

Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 PM
    Thanks
    I've done a lot of steel edging for gardens and to separate grass from rock. The ground will have fun heaving your edging. However you had it situated in the fall, by spring it will look entirely different. It will also push up the pins that you use to hold it in place. I use a sledgehammer vertically to pound them all back in every spring. With a driveway that long, you'll get tired of that sledgehammer.

I've found that I have to overlap the edging by a few inches and secure the joint to keep it stable. I drill a couple of holes through both pieces where they join and put a couple of galvanized bolts through them. If I don't, they won't stay aligned and you'll have a sharp corner sticking up at every joint. Drilling this many joints for a long driveway will make you insane. The steel is not easy to drill through. I would avoid steel edging.

Other ideas: Pavers might not cost much more than edging, and might even be easier to install. They need to be flush or you'll be hitting them with the snowblower/plow blade. Several of my neighbors have put in these continuous pour concrete separators around landscape features on their property. They sure look nice. They should be a lot cheaper than a concrete driveway, but probably still expensive.
    mjncad, Tomfive, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,080 Posts
    what would be wrong with sloping the grass side too. then sow grass to that. that way u wouldn't have such a drop off at the yard side. that would save ya the time and money of edging-and i agree the frost is gonna heave it each yr, and i bet u would hit the edging mowing-at least that would be my luck. just my 2cts. i wished i knew how to use my putal to draw it out on ur pic. might explain it easier than of what i'm trying to say.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Installing any kind of edging like that will end up a disaster. It will hold water not alowing it to drain and will just get dug up with snow plows.

I've never seen edging of any sort used on gravel roads - been working on them at the state and township level for many years.

A gravel road takes maintenance - plain and simple. Each spring it needs to be graded. You run the grader - or in our cases our tractors with an angled rear blade - and pull the edges back in and recreate the proper crown.

Quote Originally Posted by goat704! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    This right here ^^^^^^^ it’s a pain every spring to clean up from plowing, but it’s a necessary evil. I have a few spots I reseed every year.

I agree completely. I think the edging will become a full time job. If you get a good stand of grass going and keep it graded back to center and crowned it will work well. As Pat says there will still be areas you have to reseed from damage getting it back to center. I love the look of the driveway but can’t tell from the photo, Does it have enough fines or clay to keep it compacted? It just looks loose.
    Last edited by Herminator; 03-17-2019 at 11:38 PM.
    BigJim55, jdforever and PJR832 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks
    What Keane said.

If you go steel; find a landscape supplier that sells 10' x 4" sticks of the stuff and the stakes in boxes of 500 or more.
    Herminator likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast