Chip & Seal my 1000ft driveway?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Chip & Seal my 1000ft driveway?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks

Question Chip & Seal my 1000ft driveway?

Hi everyone, I have over a 1000ft driveway, with a decent size parking area by the house/garage. My driveway has a couple slopes, goes over two creeks, and is never really truly flat anywhere. For example, right now it's gravel and in pretty bad shape and needs new gravel at least, and all this snow melt just goes down parts of the driveway like a little creek from the tire tracks imprinted in it.

I definitely need to do something this summer. I feel like it needs to be re-graded and build a solid base backup, and that I shouldn't just dump new gravel on top.

I really started thinking about having it chip and sealed, and it sounds like it can be done for $1 or $2 per sqft. It looks like that would be at least $10k almost though if its 8ft wide, and the parking area. Whew!

Can anyone give me any opinions on this? I just moved into this place last fall, so I bought it in this current shape, it's a 15yr old house, no idea what he did to upkeep the gravel driveway over the years. I'm not sure what it costs to regrade the entire drive and build it up just for new gravel even.

Thanks for any help!

-Michael

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
    Hi everyone, I have over a 1000ft driveway, with a decent size parking area by the house/garage. My driveway has a couple slopes, goes over two creeks, and is never really truly flat anywhere. For example, right now it's gravel and in pretty bad shape and needs new gravel at least, and all this snow melt just goes down parts of the driveway like a little creek from the tire tracks imprinted in it.

I definitely need to do something this summer. I feel like it needs to be re-graded and build a solid base backup, and that I shouldn't just dump new gravel on top.

I really started thinking about having it chip and sealed, and it sounds like it can be done for $1 or $2 per sqft. It looks like that would be at least $10k almost though if its 8ft wide, and the parking area. Whew!

Can anyone give me any opinions on this? I just moved into this place last fall, so I bought it in this current shape, it's a 15yr old house, no idea what he did to upkeep the gravel driveway over the years. I'm not sure what it costs to regrade the entire drive and build it up just for new gravel even.

Thanks for any help!

-Michael
    Before doing that I had the driveway at my old home "gravel" for a period of time prior to paving. I would dig out to see what you actually have as a base. If there is none, you might be better to dig it out and build it up. I had what is called Modified in my neck of the woods, on the top layer. went 4s and lost two truckloads in the mud, then 2 more loads on top of that. The next part was 2s, then a layer of the modified. On top of that I put down a 2 inch layer of fines only. mixed in calcium then compacted with the car and threw some more calcium on top. Made it hard as a rock.held up for 5 years until i paved it. no pot holes...
    Levi likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    So normally the company that does the chip and deal would create a solid base for it, dealing with rebuilding a solid dirt foundation and whatever else they do?

Man, I can see this being expensive, but I need major rework done on it anyways before even just adding more gravel....
    JD 1026r

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    What kind of tractor do you have? Fel or bh? If you have the fel. Dig about and see what you have. If you have access to mine rock you could dig it out yourself and have that hauled in. If you need a tractor there is a great reason to buy one for the better half!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Levi likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    647 Tiller
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    Mantis Rotary Tiller

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
    So normally the company that does the chip and deal would create a solid base for it, dealing with rebuilding a solid dirt foundation and whatever else they do?
    That was the question I was going to ask. If the price you were quoted includes all that it isn't all that bad I think. Either way the base and mid layer needs to be repaired before any topping material is laid down.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    That was the question I was going to ask. If the price you were quoted includes all that it isn't all that bad I think. Either way the base and mid layer needs to be repaired before any topping material is laid down.
    If I understand what chip and seal means to your contractor, that is what is done typically over a paved asphalt surface. to extend the life of the surface. Usually fills in the cracks and then they chip over it, then sometimes they respray to cover the chip to finalize it.

This was done years ago on a secondary road, almost every year. They do not hold up well. If you are going to put that on anything but asphalt, I feel you will be wasting your money. The layer that results is usually less than 1/2 inch per application. Now if they are going to apply 5 or 10 applications at the same time one after another, then it may make a good job, if you build the base up like I suggested. My drive is done similarly at my new home and paved, and is about 15 years old and still in great shape.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    647 Tiller
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Mantis Rotary Tiller

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    First thing I'd be doing is what John Deere 1025R TLB said. Invest in a tractor. Doing that you should make sure to get a FEL, Box blade, and a disk/harrow. FEL, you can do a lot with. Box blade can level the drive and a few other things. Disk/harrow will tighten up the ground. I've had pot holes with standing water in them and ran a disk/harrow over it and when I got done the pot holes were gone and the ground nice and hard. Matter of fact my wife told me last year I better never ever use the disk on the garden again. She had a hard time planting and even harder time trying to hoe the weeds out. Now that I'm retired, guess who will be doing the hard work from now on. No, I will NOT be using the disk on the garden. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0716.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	41939 My disk.
    Last edited by Levi; 03-12-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    coaltrain likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I have a 1026 with rear blade, no disc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1426373585838.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	593.5 KB 
ID:	42020

Take a look at this article: http://garages.about.com/od/building...p-Driveway.htm

It's like what they do with country roads around here.

What do you think about having that done?
    JD 1026r

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    If you are meaning the old school tack oil with stone chips layered on it, think on that one. Maybe check out some of the jobs they have done to see how it is holding up.
    It is kinda thin. If you have any soft areas it will be disasterous. Especially if you get any deliveries of fuel, propane, ect with a bigger truck. The edges tend to crumble first. Frost heaves will crack it as well easily.
    They have all but stopped that practice around here as it never lasts with alot of traffic. I'm sure in alot of sections of the country it is still used alot. Especially on rural roads as it goes down pretty quick without alot of labor or material involved.
    Some roads have had multiple layers built up over the years, so after 40 years or so it's not that bad of a system as you have a thick base.
    Don't get me wrong, i feel your pain. My driveway is about 1000' feet as well, maybe longer.
    For 10K of oil chipping, i think i would spend that money on a better layer of crowned up crushed stone blend and drainage.
    Asphalt would be great but you couldn't touch all that for 10.
    Or maybe if you have a troublesome area like a hill, try just a section of the tar and chip for a couple years and see how it holds up.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any size hills on your 1000' drive?

I'm not sure if just my 1026 is enough equipment to redo the drive, even if it is I don't have the experience to know how to work it correctly. I'm only 25 and first time home owner.

So best bet is to find someone who can come out and assess what needs to be done I guess. What kind of company does that best?
    JD 1026r

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast