Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: So I've got this cliff?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:49 PM
    Thanks

So I've got this cliff?

My house sits on kind of a ridge, and on either side of it is a creek. This is Illinois so not a ridge like the mountains have. The creek on one side has eroded into the hillside and there is a vertical drop of about 8' down to the bed of the creek. If this cliff fell in to the creek my house wouldn't be in danger of falling in but it would be getting close enough it could be a problem if it keeps eroding. This creek is normally small, sometimes very little flow but when it rains it can get a little wild. Long story short I'd like to stop the creek from heading towards my house.

So for the last couple of years I've been dumping over sized gravel over this cliff with my old tractor, a Kubota BX. I recently had 24 tons of rip-rap delivered and need to dump this over the edge. Rip rap is anywhere from softball to bowling ball sized rock. There is a little bit of a hill to drive down to where I am dumping this stuff. Its not a problem to drive up to the edge of this drop off parallel to it, but when you turn to drive up to dump over the edge, it gets a little hairy. You are nosing your tractor up to a vertical drop of about 8 feet. The tractor dies, the brakes fail, it slips into neutral, you push the wrong pedal, your going over that edge. I think this rip rap will stabilize the slope, I've already improved it with what I've done with my old tractor.

So far I haven't had any close calls but it still makes me nervous. I haven't really figured out a way other than to dump the rip rap near the top edge and push it over by hand. Well, that would kind of suck to do with 24 tons. I'm looking for any ideas on how to make this safer and easier.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    SRG
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks
    3pt mount for your loader, and put a 3pt rear blade on your loader, in reverse. Push it off that way, Keeps the machine that much farther back off the ledge. Just an idea. Around here, I've seen everything used to stop bank erosion. Huge concrete foundation chunks, seem to be real popular in the worst areas.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks

You aren't going to want to see this

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeman View Post
    My house sits on kind of a ridge, and on either side of it is a creek. This is Illinois so not a ridge like the mountains have. The creek on one side has eroded into the hillside and there is a vertical drop of about 8' down to the bed of the creek. If this cliff fell in to the creek my house wouldn't be in danger of falling in but it would be getting close enough it could be a problem if it keeps eroding. This creek is normally small, sometimes very little flow but when it rains it can get a little wild. Long story short I'd like to stop the creek from heading towards my house.

So for the last couple of years I've been dumping over sized gravel over this cliff with my old tractor, a Kubota BX. I recently had 24 tons of rip-rap delivered and need to dump this over the edge. Rip rap is anywhere from softball to bowling ball sized rock. There is a little bit of a hill to drive down to where I am dumping this stuff. Its not a problem to drive up to the edge of this drop off parallel to it, but when you turn to drive up to dump over the edge, it gets a little hairy. You are nosing your tractor up to a vertical drop of about 8 feet. The tractor dies, the brakes fail, it slips into neutral, you push the wrong pedal, your going over that edge. I think this rip rap will stabilize the slope, I've already improved it with what I've done with my old tractor.

So far I haven't had any close calls but it still makes me nervous. I haven't really figured out a way other than to dump the rip rap near the top edge and push it over by hand. Well, that would kind of suck to do with 24 tons. I'm looking for any ideas on how to make this safer and easier.
    You potentially have an issue by putting material into a stream. I know you just want to stop the erosion and that's a good thing, however you may want to discretely find out if it's allowable without one or more permits. You might also want to see what the fines are if you get caught. They can be pretty steep.

However, assuming you are placing the rock legally most people here use and excavator for that because they can precisely pack the rock where they want it. The normal practice here is geocloth first, then large rock with spaces in between filled by small rock and the whole thing is lightly packed with the bucket.

With a SCUT and loader you are pretty much limited to simply either dropping material over the edge or dumping it on the upper side and pushing it toward the edge. If you always leave a pile on the ground it could be like one of those coin machines where one coin pushes another one over the edge. You would still be driving toward the cliff but always keep a pile of material between you and the edge.

The other option is to tether your BX with enough cable/chain so that you literally can't get the front wheels over the edge. That also means it will be a PITA when backing up as you have to back up straight then be careful to not run over the cable on the way forward as you move from side to side but it's possible.

You could also build a side dumping chute by propping up some sheets of heavy plywood on an angle and dropping the material onto the plywood so it rolls/slides down. I still don't know how you control placement when dumping or pushing it over the edge.

Treefarmer
    Robnik likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I don't think I'm going to have any problems with anyone worrying about what I'm doing. The Kubota BX is gone and replaced by the 2025R I have now. Some kind of ramp isn't a bad idea. The rocks might just build up to the point new loads would fall over the edge, they are headed down hill as it is. Using a rear blade isn't a bad idea either. I don't have one but plan on getting one before next winter. I could angle it some and back up to the pile of rocks I make and push it over the edge, that way I might be able to be driving more parallel to the drop off instead of straight at it. Keep the ideas coming. A couple of good ones so far.
    Robnik likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks

A) Football Helmet
    B) Hockey/Goalies outfit
    C) 2/3 LAP, PULL DOWN, BOLT IN, BLACK: Simpson Race Products
    D) Fire extinguisher

Drive slow on firm ground and have someone observe you.

YMMV
    Robnik likes this.
    Chris

2019 4052R/Cab, iMatch QH, 440R Loader w/BW16358 Bucket(Got Loops) , Frontier RB5072 Blade, Frontier LP1184 Land Plane, Front moveable fenders, Rear fender extensions, Dual Exterior mirrors,Ballast Box BW15073, Dual rear work lights(LVB24853), JD Hammerstrap, R2 4" Edge Tamers, (coming soon: Weather radar,FLIR,HUD, Chocolate bar & "Manpon" dispensers)

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    05-24-2019 @ 05:11 AM
    Thanks
    I don't think I'm going to have any problems with anyone worrying about what I'm doing. ....
    Along the lines of what treefarmer was saying, around here you would be heavily fined for messing with a waterway without permits. And they would catch you too, because they'd see it on the satellite imagery and come knocking. It's Federal Law (Clean Water Act, Section 404, Dredge and Fill Permits.)

What you're doing sounds dodgy in lots of ways. Be careful!
    Robnik likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Knowing what farmers in my area do, I'm jut not worried about anybody worrying what I'm doing wrong. I've been dumping rock over this cliff for a few years now.
    DRobinson and Robnik like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-23-2019 @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks
    how about some sort of a positive stop for your front wheels that will act like a wheel chock when pulling up to the edge? Sort of like a parking stop at any business. A large rock, railroad tie driven into the ground, anything that will positively stop forward movement.
    jdforever, keane, Jeff B and 3 others like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Safety MIke For This Useful Post:

Herminator (03-22-2019)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety MIke View Post
    how about some sort of a positive stop for your front wheels that will act like a wheel chock when pulling up to the edge? Sort of like a parking stop at any business. A large rock, railroad tie driven into the ground, anything that will positively stop forward movement.
    That was going to be my idea. Drill a couple holes thru the railroad tie, then drive rebar thru the holes anchoring it into the ground. Maybe a cable attached at both ends of the railroad tie, then anchor the cables into the ground uphill from the rr tie.
    Robnik, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    The stops was a good idea. I had some old telephone pole laying around and drove in some T posts. It wouldn’t 100% stop the tractor but I’d have to try to hop them. Thanks for the idea. I tried to add a photo from my phone also. Not sure if it will show up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BE87DFE9-4835-4825-B6EE-BD6451891082_1553292873286.jpeg  

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast