Frost humps in lawn - Roll / Aerate / Do nothing?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Frost humps in lawn - Roll / Aerate / Do nothing?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Frost humps in lawn - Roll / Aerate / Do nothing?

    Hey

    What do you do, if anything, in cold climate areas to deal with the frost heaving or bumps in the lawns, so that by July the lawns not a bumpy Safari Park?

    Do you roll it when soft, aerate, or do you do anything?

    Top dressing and leveling the bumps is too time consuming and hard work and raising the lawn over the patio level and path. Long term not good.
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Rear 3-point-Hitch and PTO
    Snowblower

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,717
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,208 Posts
    I roll mine with a 920 lb lawn roller. Otherwise the lawn resembles the lunar surface and you risk a twisted ankle every time you step on the lawn.

    I just rolled mine on Friday. You need just the right conditions where the soil is squishy enough to easily pack down but not so wet that you have no traction.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I roll mine with a 920 lb lawn roller. Otherwise the lawn resembles the lunar surface and you risk a twisted ankle every time you step on the lawn.

    I just rolled mine on Friday. You need just the right conditions where the soil is squishy enough to easily pack down but not so wet that you have no traction.
    Are you getting these bumps as a result of frost? Does it really level your lawn well? What tractor do you pull that weight with?
    Does it tear up the lawn much?
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Rear 3-point-Hitch and PTO
    Snowblower

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,717
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
    Are you getting these bumps as a result of frost? Does it really level your lawn well? What tractor do you pull that weight with?
    Does it tear up the lawn much?
    Yes, massive frost heaves. It looks like someone stuck firecrackers in the ground all over the lawn. If I roll when the ground completely thaws and is a little "spungie" it does a fantastic job in one pass. The ground has to be just right. If it's too sloppy then the tractor will spin a lot.

    I have an Ohio Steel 24x48" roller that weighs 920 lbs and I pull it with my X500. I used to pull it with my old JD 175 Hydro but had to be careful as I could easily get stuck on some of my slopes. But with the differential lock on the X500 I have no problems.

    Friday's conditions were perfect. I was able to roll the entire yard without hardly spinning a tire. This roller has rounded corners on the drum so it doesn't tear up the lawn when making a sharp turn.
    goat704! likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
    Are you getting these bumps as a result of frost? Does it really level your lawn well? What tractor do you pull that weight with?
    Does it tear up the lawn much?
    Yes, massive frost heaves. It looks like someone stuck firecrackers in the ground all over the lawn. If I roll when the ground completely thaws and is a little "spungie" it does a fantastic job in one pass. The ground has to be just right. If it's too sloppy then the tractor will spin a lot.

    I have an Ohio Steel 24x48" roller that weighs 920 lbs and I pull it with my X500. I used to pull it with my old JD 175 Hydro but had to be careful as I could easily get stuck on some of my slopes. But with the differential lock on the X500 I have no problems.

    Friday's conditions were perfect. I was able to roll the entire yard without hardly spinning a tire. This roller has rounded corners on the drum so it doesn't tear up the lawn when making a sharp turn.
    Sounds exactly like what I have!

    What’s the weight I should go for and width?

    What do you think of those poly (fill with water) types? At least I can drain and roll under the deck or something to store (I don’t have much space and don’t want to leave a massive roller sitting out all year....a one and done item each year I assume...
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Rear 3-point-Hitch and PTO
    Snowblower

  8. Top | #6
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,717
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
    Sounds exactly like what I have!

    Whatís the weight I should go for and width?

    What do you think of those poly (fill with water) types? At least I can drain and roll under the deck or something to store (I donít have much space and donít want to leave a massive roller sitting out all year....a one and done item each year I assume...
    I assume you are planning to pull it with the X758? I would think a roller about the size and weight of mine would be fine. I'm even able to back up with mine to get into areas too tight to turn around. I didn't get a poly roller as you hear so many stories about them splitting or developing holes from running over stones. Although the metal ones seem to seep a bit of water too after a few years. Nothing that causes a problem. Mine is filled with water and I drain it each fall and give it a fresh coat of paint prior to storing it.

    I use mine all season long. I have a gravel driveway and sometimes after a heavy rain it will need a bit of grading. After I'm done I run the lawn roller all over the driveway and parking area and it smooths and flattens the gravel and makes things really nice.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  9. Top | #7
    jdforever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:31 AM
    Location
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Posts
    1,669
    Thanks
    458
    Thanked 451 Times in 297 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
    Hey

    What do you do, if anything, in cold climate areas to deal with the frost heaving or bumps in the lawns, so that by July the lawns not a bumpy Safari Park?

    Do you roll it when soft, aerate, or do you do anything?

    Top dressing and leveling the bumps is too time consuming and hard work and raising the lawn over the patio level and path. Long term not good.
    I do nothing as the freeze thaw cycle is nature's way of aerating the lawn for me. However, if you do choose to roll your lawn, use no more weight than absolutely necessary. Then core aerate it as soon as possible to undue the compaction from rolling.
    Last edited by jdforever; 03-24-2019 at 09:01 AM.
    coaltrain likes this.
    Greg

    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

    2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

  10. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The only thing I can find right now nearby is a Blue Hawk Steel Roller that is only 36 inches wide, it’ll weigh 300 lb with water or 450 lb with sand

    He has a 48 inch also but a poly version

    What do you suggest? (Guys that use these)

    Is the 36” steel too narrow and not enough weight?
    Last edited by Eire1916; 03-24-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Rear 3-point-Hitch and PTO
    Snowblower

  11. Top | #9
    Superglidesport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Location
    Littleton, MA
    Posts
    7,701
    Thanks
    693
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 993 Posts
    Same here. Lots of settling and heaving on my property. Was noticing it yesterday as I was out cleaning up some downed branches and debris.

    I can't use a roller as there are too many slopes and hills. I'd be afraid of tearing up the turf and causing more work requiring top dressing and reseeding.
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 03-24-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    PJR832 likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

    John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

  12. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,588
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 865 Times in 660 Posts
    Not sure where you are located in MA but Tractor Supply has their Ohio Steel brand 24x52 steel roller in stock at the Leominster, Taunton and Millbury stores. It's also available in Putnam, CT.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. French drains below frost line??
    By jermedic in forum Land Ownership, Landscaping, Lawn Care & Gardening
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-17-2018, 06:29 PM
  2. To Roll or Not to Roll That Is THE Question
    By Motorman in forum Land Ownership, Landscaping, Lawn Care & Gardening
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-12-2016, 12:31 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 09:14 AM
  4. Nothing but problems since my mower deck was added on 1026R (RESOLVED)
    By cjdavis618 in forum Sub Compact Utility Tractors (SCUT)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 10:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts