Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Brush disposal

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Thanks

Brush disposal

I have a fair amount of brush I plan to clear off my property this year. Initially, I'll probably just pile it in an appropriate corner of the lot and let the critters use it as habitat. But if, as I expect, the pile gets too big I have the good fortune of a mulch producer not too far away that'll take all this type waste you can give them. I have a grapple on order so loading mass quantities of this into the bed of the pickup for hauling is the easy part. Once I get to the dump site getting the debris out of the bed of the truck is where the problem arises.

I have some ideas ranging from going at it with a mulch fork by hand to putting a tarp down in the bed of the truck and rigging it so I can pull on the end behind the cab and pull the brush out with it. Sounds good in theory but I have a feeling in practice it won't be quite that simple. Anyone have any suggestions for an easy way to get a load of brush (honeysuckle, wild roses, raspberries, etc) out of the bed of a pickup?

Thanks.
    "Wherever you leak, the world hangs a bucket." - Gallagher

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    I have a fair amount of brush I plan to clear off my property this year. Initially, I'll probably just pile it in an appropriate corner of the lot and let the critters use it as habitat. But if, as I expect, the pile gets too big I have the good fortune of a mulch producer not too far away that'll take all this type waste you can give them. I have a grapple on order so loading mass quantities of this into the bed of the pickup for hauling is the easy part. Once I get to the dump site getting the debris out of the bed of the truck is where the problem arises.

I have some ideas ranging from going at it with a mulch fork by hand to putting a tarp down in the bed of the truck and rigging it so I can pull on the end behind the cab and pull the brush out with it. Sounds good in theory but I have a feeling in practice it won't be quite that simple. Anyone have any suggestions for an easy way to get a load of brush (honeysuckle, wild roses, raspberries, etc) out of the bed of a pickup?

Thanks.
    Problem is... there is no easy way. You'll probably find the pile too heavy to pull out with a tarp. Forking it out is likely the only way. My brother used to have a little gizmo that he would put in the back of his pickup. It was like a big nylon tarp attached to a roller with a crank handle. He could load in light material and then when he was ready to unload he would drop the tailgate, crank the handle and all the debris would just roll out the back. It was very inexpensive and worked quite well if you didn't overload it.

I have a similar situation when I take brush to the mulch producer with my small landscape trailer. When I get there I have to unload it the same way I loaded it... by hand. I tried the tarp trick once and it didn't work.

Once while I was there a guy pulled in beside me with a dump trailer. He was in and out in less than 10 mins. I yelled over to him "Show off!!" He just laughed. :-)
    farmgirl19, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

DanW (03-24-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Problem is... there is no easy way. You'll probably find the pile too heavy to pull out with a tarp. Forking it out is likely the only way. My brother used to have a little gizmo that he would put in the back of his pickup. It was like a big nylon tarp attached to a roller with a crank handle. He could load in light material and then when he was ready to unload he would drop the tailgate, crank the handle and all the debris would just roll out the back. It was very inexpensive and worked quite well if you didn't overload it.

I have a similar situation when I take brush to the mulch producer with my small landscape trailer. When I get there I have to unload it the same way I loaded it... by hand. I tried the tarp trick once and it didn't work.

Once while I was there a guy pulled in beside me with a dump trailer. He was in and out in less than 10 mins. I yelled over to him "Show off!!" He just laughed. :-)
    For $32 after coupon it would certainly be worth a try!

1/2 Ton Truck Bed Cargo Unloader

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EDDF2B3E-547E-4787-A7B9-615CB2ACED79.jpeg 
Views:	178 
Size:	262.5 KB 
ID:	677878
    Tomfive, farmgirl19, rtgt and 3 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

DanW (03-24-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

Yeap... that looks similar to the one my brother has.
    rtgt likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

My only concern with this is the same I suspect will happen with my earlier tarp idea. The tailgate opening is smaller than the bed and as branches get caught on that lip the material will stop flowing.

Just to clarify on my original tarp idea. Picture a tarp long enough (or 2 attached together) that will go from the tailgate to the front of the bed, then up and over the brush and back to the tailgate. I can then anchor the top tarp to the bed rails to keep debris from blowing out on the way to the mulch producer. Then when I get there, just grab the top section at the tailgate and walk away from the truck, basically rolling the brush out. Even if I can pull the weight, again my concern is between the narrower tailgate opening and the lip around the top of the bed I'll get about 1/4 of the way out before it's trapped and it's back to unloading by hand.

Still hoping to hear from someone that's been here and came up with something clever that worked. Then again, the solution may just be make more/smaller trips so the brush doesn't get wedged in the bed...
    Last edited by DanW; 03-24-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    rtgt likes this.

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    "In theory, theory is a lot like practice. But in practice it isn't."

I see you specified easy, but nowhere did I see cheap. So, here ya go.... DumperDogg® Polymer Dump Insert | Buyers Products
    rtgt likes this.
    2032R classic, H130 Loader, 46 Backhoe, 54" Snowblower,
    214 (1978), 46 mower with powerflow bagger, 31 tiller, 37A snow thrower
    some other stuff

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks
    What has worked for me in the past. Whether trailer or truck box, I lay a couple good sized branches or small tree's that go from front to back as a base that give you something to pull on at the bottom of the pile. It's very important, as you stack your load that the bottoms all face towards the back. This allows the branch's to flow out and not snag everything as you pull. It's still pain to pull it out but it does work. How you stack your load in, has a lot to do with how well it comes out.
    rtgt, 69project, PJR832 and 3 others like this.
    2017 2032R - 220r FEL, 72" mmm,Frontier 2084 blade ,JD 670 tiller, frontier 48" pallet forks, allied 2060 snowblower,JD 513 brush hog, EA 55" grapple,Frontier 2060 box blade, Farmi 351p logging winch
    LX 186 - 48" deck, 38" snowblower
    F 510
    GTX 38
    Cub Cadet GTX 1054
    2011 825i Gator

12. The Following User Says Thank You to goat704! For This Useful Post:

DanW (03-24-2019)

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks
    I have the HF version of the crank cargo unloader & it worked surprisingly well for decomposed granite, mulch & dirt. Added a sheet of 2x8 plywood on edge to each side of the bed to keep material from getting into the cavities created by the wheel wells. That mini-barrier may work for you too.

Don't use the unloader for brush here. Am careful to load it much like goat says, but hand unload it mostly 'cause I toss it on top of an existing "habitat".
    rtgt and goat704! like this.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger47 View Post
    "In theory, theory is a lot like practice. But in practice it isn't."

I see you specified easy, but nowhere did I see cheap. So, here ya go.... DumperDogg® Polymer Dump Insert | Buyers Products
    Wow, that's tempting, but darn. I have the 6' bed this is only for an 8' bed.
    rtgt likes this.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    I don't suppose you could just burn it? They still let us do that here in MN, a blue state no less. They do frown upon a placing a couple of old tires beneath the pile, however. They sure get the pile nice and hot so even green and wet stuff burns downs thoroughly. Dumping all your used drain oil on top of the pile works almost as well.
    pappa, farmgirl19, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast