Hi folks. I've never really done a thread like this, but thought it could be interesting for anyone entertaining the idea of doing some drainage around a building. The goal is, ultimately, to rehab this detached garage/barn. The home was built in 1959, so the barn is sometime afterwards and we've owned it since 10/2015. I had the pole barn in the back built in Spring of 2017, in preparation for 2018's purchase of the JD 2025RClassic. Here's what I'm working with:
We had the overhead door replaced in 2016, but this year will be new gutters, soffit, entry door and double-upper doors replaced and all white trim getting re-done with a clay color to match the pole barn. Also, in the back is a window upstairs that is getting pulled out and changed into an entry door. I'll build steps up to a landing for that door. Right now, access to the second floor is a set of steps that hinge down from upstairs. So, an entrance in the back will be a welcome upgrade! The trim is all bunged up from years of life in the woods, previous owner's kids hitting doorways, etc...it needs to be done over.
My task right now: French Drain installation. Since we've moved in, I have battled high moisture / mildew inside the garage. I painted the 3 foot cinderblock wall inside with DryLok Extreme and still get a fair amount of water inside from heavy rains. This is due in large to a poor gutter and shallow overhangs on the gambrel style roof. However, the soil around the garage is red, thick, sandy clay. Its nasty...and holds LOTS of water. This lays in against the foundation and just keeps things wet.
First step: Get the existing gutter drain opened up and cleared out
Next up: Start digging down to the footer. I'm going to the footer and then one shovel width beside the footer. Trench width is roughly 16 to 18 inches.
Keep Going: I've finally rounded the corner to the back. (Oh, and that chimney just had the top 4 blocks replaced and new concrete cap installed. Old top block had a hole large enough to put my fist through.)
Made it to the corner!: Sunday evening, I finally made it around the chimney and to the corner. I hit a road block, though. Two big rocks, easily weighing 200 lbs each, are in my way. Tonight, my wife will operate the tractor and I'll get straps around them to lift them up and out with the KennyD gold hooks.
The last part of the dig, and I hope the easiest, is now from the corner towards the front. If you look at the top, first picture, you can see how the yard slopes and will be a much shallower dig. The back wall was the deepest at 42 inches. I'm digging this all by hand, by myself. I've got 25 hours invested so far.
This last pic is just crazy for me...I don't have a picture for you all to compare to, but the woods was literally right up to the garage up until a year ago. I felled trees and cleared a wide path and put the stone lane in to reach my firewood pile up in the back there. Lots more work to do, to make it all look pretty!!! But the garage is priority yet.