- Way too wide being 15-16 feet in some places.
- All the fines are packed like cement under the loose stone. So the whole thing is just loose stone everywhere
- Crown and slope allows storm water across and down the lawn to the house. The front walkway becomes a river
- Difficult to mow around the upper parts to the grade
I narrowed it down to about 12 feet by digging up the down hill side. Thank you heavy hitch toothbar, which was the only way to get through that hard packed base. Dug up several feet of driveway width and the adjacent grass. Graded the excavation with the back blade to even it out for top soil fill later. The section of the driveway I cut out is mostly the section that was crowned down slope, which helps address the water issue as well.
My back blade couldn't cut into the hard packed fines. It just dragged the stone around. So I finally got a box blade, which is the right tool for the job. Man what a difference. This is my new favorite attachment. With the rippers down, it churned the fines back up and mixed it with the stone just as it should. I used the tilt angle to re-grade the driveway for stormwater management. Moved a LOT of material from one side to the other. The entire driveway from the road down to the bottom is now sloped to the uphill side where the V it forms acts as a ditch for storm water. This stops all the runoff from reaching the bottom of the lawn and house. Just how I wanted it. I also cut out the lawn and extended the driveway over to the side of the shed. That way I'm not driving on muddy grass to get my trailer.
I ordered 10 yards of top soil to fill in and re-grade what dug up along the driveway. I thought 10 yards would be more than enough, leaving some to fill in some low spots around the yard. As it turns out, it was maybe half what I actually need. So more coming.