Like Tree31Likes

Thread: The Empty Swimming Pool and Other Disasters 2014-2015

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

The Empty Swimming Pool and Other Disasters 2014-2015

Our above ground swimming pool has relieved itself of most of its water again this winter . In thinking about sharing this with all of you I realized that I never showed you what happened last year as at that time I wasn't on GTT much due to "life". Last year the extreme cold and an early freeze/thaw pattern caused ice to shift in the pool (we surmise)/(18'x33' oval) and apparently the liner flexed/tore and the water "trickled" out. We noticed it was pretty much empty around President's day when we saw the cover had gave up under the weight of the snow, with nothing to support it underneath. We found the missing water though! It was in the barn....in the form of a 6" layer of ice. Luckily nothing was damaged in the barn and the ice eventually melted. We didn't find the "smoking gun" hole in the liner that we had hoped. Instead, many small tears, 15 to be exact. Luckily the sand under to pool seemed solid although not perfectly smooth. So Mrs. CP eventually had the pool holding the 14,000 gallons of water the water truck brought us to fill'er back up. We knew with 15 patches, that the liner wouldn't last forever, but everything seemed fine when we splurged, and had the pool place close the pool for us in the fall (best $ ever spent?). I had a feeling it was leaking by the end of the year as the ground seemed awfully wet on the downhill side, but it was wet weather too. Well this week's thaw confirmed it, it's lost most of its water again. But there is no water in the barn . So we will wait and see. The new last fall winter cover is shot. Obviously a new liner is in order, and it of course it will need to be refilled, but that doesn't answer the "why" does this keep happening. Our theory is that it is a combo of the soil conditions (not good, especially in the vicinity of the pool) and the extreme cold of the last 2 winters. Time will tell, but we are contemplating throwing the towel in on the whole pool. We use the hot tub, way more than the pool anyway.

Last year:

The amount of water left in it last year:

The skating rink in the barn:

This year:

The deck heaves this year:

The amount or lack of water:

Also to pour salt in the wounds, shortly after realizing the pool had issues, we realized our sand filter for the septic system was shot. We will blame it on old age (25 years old), yeah that's our story. And then while the lawn was tore up, I put some pressure on the town to clean out the ditch that carries all the road runoff into the woods. It was making us nervous in the spring and was damaging the berm that we had put in for extra protection. I used the material from the ditch to repair the lawn. It worked like a charm. The lawn is now smooth and I managed to get some grass seed down, but not many pics of the finished product.

Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Interesting story CP, but a lot of bad luck in a short period of time. This is a good thread to remember when something goes wrong. Read this and we will find that maybe our problems aren't quite as bad as we think.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 1 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Excellent point! The ditch was more of a progressive thing so that didn't weigh on our minds much. But in the midst of the septic and pool, a wind gust blew over our glass topped patio table. I was finding tempered glass bits all summer long. We figured/hoped that was our "bad things happen in 3s"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Wow - as far as the pool I would ditch it myself. But that's just me (I have a nice creek behind the house!).

My first question is that if you had a pool company close the pool for you last fall, is any of this their responsibility?

I'd like to smack that stat Gradall operator - you can do a much nicer job with a Gradall and finish bucket than that!

I'd be all in for the hot tub myself - I've never owned a pool but always hear about how much work they are. Do you kids use the pool much?

Quite a shame if you do give up on the pool - you put up such a nice fence/deck structure around it.
    ColonyPark and Levi like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Thanks
    My above ground pool ends up the same way every spring. I haven't had any leaks yet though. The pool cover loads up with snow/water over the course of the winter and pushes the floats down. Once everything thaws in the spring the weight of the water on the cover displaces the water below the cover and causes it to rise high enough to run out the filter outlet/inlet openings.

Once I pump out the water from on top of the cover and remove it, the water in the pool is only about 12" deep.

Our pool came with the house when we bought it and we've said all along that when it goes, we aren't putting any money into repairing it. It costs us very little to maintain when it's open but we only use it 2 or 3 times/year as it is. Plus, it's sitting where I'd really like to put a barn.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Wow - as far as the pool I would ditch it myself. But that's just me (I have a nice creek behind the house!).

My first question is that if you had a pool company close the pool for you last fall, is any of this their responsibility?

I'd like to smack that stat Gradall operator - you can do a much nicer job with a Gradall and finish bucket than that!

I'd be all in for the hot tub myself - I've never owned a pool but always hear about how much work they are. Do you kids use the pool much?

Quite a shame if you do give up on the pool - you put up such a nice fence/deck structure around it.
    The kids do use it, but are more selective about what temp the water is before they will jump in. They used to swim no matter what, and we don't heat the pool (one of our biggest pool mistakes if you ask me). If we take it down and don't replace, that deck structure and the pool pad will become my new raised bed and container gardening area, so no worries. As for the pool people, they live up the road and actually closed it totally different from how we have done it in the past. They closed it more like an inground pool, so I don't think that has much to do with it and I trust their judgment. As a side note, I should include how the pool came to be. When we put it in, it was more of a guilt thing. My wife and kids had wanted a puppy and I did something I had never done in all the years we had been married. I said no, I didn't care what everybody else wanted, I said no. I suggested a pool instead. Well now I have mellowed and a puppy would be ok. So that is back in discussion. The kids still say they would rather have a dog and be without the pool…go figure

Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    My above ground pool ends up the same way every spring. I haven't had any leaks yet though. The pool cover loads up with snow/water over the course of the winter and pushes the floats down. Once everything thaws in the spring the weight of the water on the cover displaces the water below the cover and causes it to rise high enough to run out the filter outlet/inlet openings.

Once I pump out the water from on top of the cover and remove it, the water in the pool is only about 12" deep.

Our pool came with the house when we bought it and we've said all along that when it goes, we aren't putting any money into repairing it. It costs us very little to maintain when it's open but we only use it 2 or 3 times/year as it is. Plus, it's sitting where I'd really like to put a barn.
    We have talked about not even covering it next year if we fix it. Just skim the leaves out of it and shock the he!! out of the water in the fall. Maybe put one of those leaf nets over it, but forget the winter cover

Gizmo2 and Levi like this.
    Jamie

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry to see your trouble. We put a pool in right after building the house and thought it would be great but after the first two years the kids quit using it. It was about time to replace the liner and we needed some concrete work done around the pool so we decided to fill it in and honestly it was the best thing we ever did. We learned our lesson on pools, we will never have another one
    Levi likes this.
    2014 John Deere 5100E H240 FEL 6' Rakemaster Root Grapple, 2016 Woods PSS72 food plot seeder, 2013 John Deere XUV 550 S4 2015 Orsi 12' boom mower with flail head, 2016 John Deere 4105 with front end loader, 2016 John Deere MX6, 2018 Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Grapple. 2018 Everything Attachments Severe Extreme Duty 6' Landscape Rake, 2018 John Deere 1025R TLB with 54D quick connect deck [SIZE=2][COLOR="#008000"]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CNGreen For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (03-16-2015)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    Reading this makes me feel really good about the decision we made when we bought our house. We we looked at the house, water was all over the back yard area. Lots of snow we thought, but then it dawned on us, the pool. We inquired about removing the pool. Sellers said no, until they realized the liner was shot. They removed it, we cleaned up the rock and sand. I'm curious how the neighbors pool will do come spring.

ColonyPark and Levi like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Thanks
    If it is any consolation, you do have some nice ass grass.
    Levi and coaltrain like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

13. The Following User Says Thank You to blue87fj60 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (03-16-2015)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesetrain View Post
    Reading this makes me feel really good about the decision we made when we bought our house. We we looked at the house, water was all over the back yard area. Lots of snow we thought, but then it dawned on us, the pool. We inquired about removing the pool. Sellers said no, until they realized the liner was shot. They removed it, we cleaned up the rock and sand. I'm curious how the neighbors pool will do come spring.

If you noticed my neighbor's pool in the background, Murphy's Law will apply. He asked my opinion on a pool, I told him to get a hot tub. His wife agreed with me, so he put a pool in? They put it in in the fall, filled it and closed it. Our air pillows always last only a few weeks, his is perfect, even after all winter…of course. His pool will probably be "the best thing ever". I hope it is for their sake

Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    If it is any consolation, you do have some nice ass grass.
    Thanks! Upon closer inspection, it's mostly weeds, but it mows up nice so no complaints

Jamie

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast