Seeding Wildflowers - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Seeding Wildflowers

1. Top | #11

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Thanks
    Success will be determined by how fertile the ground is and quality of the seeds you purchase. I did a Zenia garden on our drain field one year and it did great. Tried the same thing in the front yard and it didn't do squat. Part of the front yard problem was the seeds I bought from Home Depot not actually being Zenias as pictured on the pack. I did follow up with the same brand I used on the drain field and the yellow daisies I got from HD seemed to proliferate and choke them out.
    PJR832 likes this.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    Beautiful! Thanks for posting!!

I'm going to try to do some small patches like that in my yard.

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!
    PJR832 likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klunker View Post
    I have done 4 different hunks of land into native grasses/forbs.

Some points to consider.

Tilling will bring up seeds from seed bank. You might have sprayed with glyphosate and killed everything but when you tilled it you exposed new batch of weeds.

Spraying with glyphosate will only kill whats exposed at the time you sprayed, again, seed bed will kick in and your land will be covered in weeds before summer is over. So you have to kill several times in one season.

My best results came from killing multiple times over 2 seasons, going over area with drag, seeding and going over with drag again.

I did not have access to cultipacker or other specialized equipment.

Some thoughts on seeding.

Get biggest diversity of flowers/grasses that you can afford. A bigger variety will have all the niches filled in the soil and will make invasion of undesirables harder.

Plant in spring for best grass success, plant in late fall for best flower success. Some flowers will not show them selves for years (3-5). Most flowers need stratification for germination. Stratification is the freezing cycle that the seeds need to before they germinate. Many seed mixes have lots of non-native annuals or biennials so that you get lots of flowers quickly but longevity will suffer. Most plantings take several years (3-5) before you get a sense of what it will be like.

Get species that fit your moisture/sunlight/soil type and region. They evolved there and will survive best.

If you want to keep it relatively weed free you'll need to help it along for the first couple of years. Mowing the first year 2-4 times. Burning as soon as fuel load will support it, weeding out particularly bad invasive weeds.

Enjoy, one of my wife and I great joy in the evening in the summer months is taking "prairie tours" in our small 4 acres of planting.

Excellent advice.

Tilling is going to make quite an opportunity for weeds to thrive. I like the wildflower idea a lot, but they are hard to get established. Burning subsequent springs help some of the varieties too.
    PJR832 likes this.
    JD 2305
    2018 JD X758
    Simplicity Conquest W/turbo bagger
    Iron & Oak commercial splitter W/ hydro 4 way and log lift
    Husqvarna 346 XP ported x2, 357XP x 2, 562XPG, 372XPG, 288XP ported, 395XP NIB,
    Jred 2159 ported
    Echo CS 355T, & pole saw
    F250 Super Duty CC 8' box and 10,000# 18' trailer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Machinist View Post
    Success will be determined by how fertile the ground is and quality of the seeds you purchase. I did a Zenia garden on our drain field one year and it did great. Tried the same thing in the front yard and it didn't do squat. Part of the front yard problem was the seeds I bought from Home Depot not actually being Zenias as pictured on the pack. I did follow up with the same brand I used on the drain field and the yellow daisies I got from HD seemed to proliferate and choke them out.
    Actually lots of native wildflowers thrive on "poor" ground. Fertilizing is never required or desired.
    This another reason one should always plant as big a variety of grasses/forbs as possible, certain ones will thrive in some conditions others will not survive in.

The more variety the more chances of several thriving.

Also some may survive but not thrive because for example the site is on the dry side. But in a wet year the ones that like wetter conditions will do better and the ones that like a drier site will do poorer. So every year you will have certain species do better than others. Its constantly changing.

Another issue is that some species are more of a pioneer variety and they will do better in disturbed sites. Disturbed such as recently tilled. Others can't tolerate disturbances. So in the beginning, first 1-5 years, you'll have certain varieties do well and as the site matures they will fade and others will appear.

My comments are primarily about Native varieties but most of it also applies to non-native stuff too.
    wildbranch2007 and PJR832 like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

7. Top | #15

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firewood Bandit View Post
    Excellent advice.

Tilling is going to make quite an opportunity for weeds to thrive. I like the wildflower idea a lot, but they are hard to get established. Burning subsequent springs help some of the varieties too.
    I really don't think they are hard to get established as much as they take patience. It takes several years to see it really take off. Most species will not flower for 2-3 years. Some varieties may take a decade or more.

Once established burning yearly is a bad idea. Backing off to 3-5 years is a better plan. If you have any size to your plantings don't burn all of it. Leave some areas unburnt every time you burn, rotate your burns. Timing of burns makes a difference too, early spring, late spring, summer and fall burns effect plantings but only on the short term.
    PJR832 likes this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

8. Top | #16
    Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    Would you recommend mixing oat seed in with the flowers? I do this with my cover crops mix to keep weeds at Bay.
    PJR832 likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2