Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Seeding Wildflowers

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-09-2019 @ 07:32 PM
    Thanks

Seeding Wildflowers

Has anyone ever plowed up an empty lot and worked it down to broadcast wildflower or other similar seed? How did you do it? I have a couple people that want me to work up a couple acres that were fallow and have grown up to weeds and seed them some wildflowers. I figured I'd plow it, disk then level further if need be with a tiller or field cultivator. Then broadcast the seed and go over it with the packer to press it into the soil better. I'm not sure if the plowing is needed or not.
    rtgt likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks
    I worked part of mine with a homemade ripper: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farm 2017 237.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	984.8 KB 
ID:	682590 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farm 2017 238.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	1,020.4 KB 
ID:	682592 Mostly to break up the sod. I then disked it a couple times & ran over it with a cultipacker both before & after seeding. This patch was mainly a native grass mix.

My other strip that is more wildflower was treated with glyphosate multiple times for two seasons, lightly disked, seeded, then cultipacked: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farm 2017 248.JPG 
Size:	943.0 KB 
ID:	682594
    PaDave, rtgt, OxPath and 6 others like this.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grnspot110 View Post
    I worked part of mine with a homemade ripper: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farm 2017 237.JPG 
Size:	984.8 KB 
ID:	682590 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farm 2017 238.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	1,020.4 KB 
ID:	682592 Mostly to break up the sod. I then disked it a couple times & ran over it with a cultipacker both before & after seeding. This patch was mainly a native grass mix.

My other strip that is more wildflower was treated with glyphosate multiple times for two seasons, lightly disked, seeded, then cultipacked: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farm 2017 248.JPG 
Size:	943.0 KB 
ID:	682594
    That ripper is sweet. I saw frontier has a similar version of that, which I promptly put on my hit list. Not sure what it costs.

The one plot has alot of grass, which I thought would be good to hit with the brush hog before doing anything else. I have a two and a three bottom plow, the two will disappear as long as I can pull the three, I thought that'd be a good way to get rid of the trash. The next part of the battle becomes making sure the seed they bought covers the whole area with the broadcaster. No one bought any extra.....
    grnspot110, rtgt and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks
    I've looked into this. The folks at the turf store recommended that I hit the area with RoundUp, then till it, then seed it.

I definitely don't think that you just want to till it and then plant it. I think you'd be wuickly overrun with weeds.

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!
    rtgt and PJR832 like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    I've looked into this. The folks at the turf store recommended that I hit the area with RoundUp, then till it, then seed it.

I definitely don't think that you just want to till it and then plant it. I think you'd be wuickly overrun with weeds.

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!
    Right. What I usually do on my own stuff when I open up ground that hasn't been used in awhile is work it, then let it sit and then burn it down. Then work it and plant it right after. Seems to work well. I suppose it will all depend on how my clients want it done.
    rtgt and PJR832 like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Thanks
    I am in the process of planting wildflowers on my new constructed septic mound. I have disc the soil and then ran a harrow over it, then flattened the soil with a lawn roller.

I will be spreading the seeds and then rolling again to press the seeds in the soil. Everything I have read has made it pretty clear to not cover the seeds with dirt but rather to press the seeds into the soil. Either way, good luck!
    PJR832 likes this.
    2018 1023e

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1023Easy View Post
    I am in the process of planting wildflowers on my new constructed septic mound. I have disc the soil and then ran a harrow over it, then flattened the soil with a lawn roller.

I will be spreading the seeds and then rolling again to press the seeds in the soil. Everything I have read has made it pretty clear to not cover the seeds with dirt but rather to press the seeds into the soil. Either way, good luck!
    Sounds like everyone is on the same page. Now it just needs to dry up here....
    PJR832 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks
    I have done 4 different hunks of land into native grasses/forbs.

Some points to consider.

Tilling will bring up seeds from seed bank. You might have sprayed with glyphosate and killed everything but when you tilled it you exposed new batch of weeds.

Spraying with glyphosate will only kill whats exposed at the time you sprayed, again, seed bed will kick in and your land will be covered in weeds before summer is over. So you have to kill several times in one season.

My best results came from killing multiple times over 2 seasons, going over area with drag, seeding and going over with drag again.

I did not have access to cultipacker or other specialized equipment.

Some thoughts on seeding.

Get biggest diversity of flowers/grasses that you can afford. A bigger variety will have all the niches filled in the soil and will make invasion of undesirables harder.

Plant in spring for best grass success, plant in late fall for best flower success. Some flowers will not show them selves for years (3-5). Most flowers need stratification for germination. Stratification is the freezing cycle that the seeds need to before they germinate. Many seed mixes have lots of non-native annuals or biennials so that you get lots of flowers quickly but longevity will suffer. Most plantings take several years (3-5) before you get a sense of what it will be like.

Get species that fit your moisture/sunlight/soil type and region. They evolved there and will survive best.

If you want to keep it relatively weed free you'll need to help it along for the first couple of years. Mowing the first year 2-4 times. Burning as soon as fuel load will support it, weeding out particularly bad invasive weeds.

Enjoy, one of my wife and I great joy in the evening in the summer months is taking "prairie tours" in our small 4 acres of planting.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to klunker For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (04-23-2019)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks
    Got any pics to share of your "prairie", klunker?
    PJR832 likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Got any pics to share of your "prairie", klunker?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tach 001.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	682718

this the first year after it was planted in the spring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tach 001.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	682722

this section was interseeded into a existing old hay field.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to klunker For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (04-23-2019)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast