• 2 Post By RodW
  • 1 Post By IndyFarmLife-AC

Thread: Preventing Culvert Clogs

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks

Preventing Culvert Clogs

I wanted to share this problem and solution in case anyone out there is in the same boat. We have a 15 inch pipe that is 60 ft long underneath a driveway on our property. The fields behind us are tiled so this pipe mainly handles surface runoff and it is sufficiently sized for the area it services. We have rodent guards (looks like a pitch fork) on each end to prevent animals from nesting in the pipe. These guards were effective at keeping animals out, but would quickly clog with leaves and sticks and create a dam on the inlet side of the pipe. See attached image. These backups caused the water to reach depths of over 4ft. We decided to remove these guards but we wanted to ensure larger items didn't reach the pipe and cause even more headaches. We created debris catchers using some old stockade panel we had around the farm. This solution is highlighted in the below video and has worked really well thus far! Regardless of how your pipe is clogging, a solution like this may fix it! Tomato cages are a bonus on the house!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 979321153.jpg  
    ColonyPark, rtgt, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    IndyFarmLife - (Adam or Chris)
    Check us out on YouTube - Indy Farm Life

Tractors: JD 4052R, JD 4105, JD 2520 Other Non-Green Machines: Case 580K backhoe, Grasshopper 928D, Grasshopper 721D, Husqvarna 390XP, 450, 455 and 460 Rancher

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 957 Posts
    Nice fix! Around here, we call them trash racks.
    BigJim55 and IndyFarmLife-AC like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyFarmLife-AC View Post
    I wanted to share this problem and solution in case anyone out there is in the same boat. We have a 15 inch pipe that is 60 ft long underneath a driveway on our property. The fields behind us are tiled so this pipe mainly handles surface runoff and it is sufficiently sized for the area it services. We have rodent guards (looks like a pitch fork) on each end to prevent animals from nesting in the pipe. These guards were effective at keeping animals out, but would quickly clog with leaves and sticks and create a dam on the inlet side of the pipe. See attached image. These backups caused the water to reach depths of over 4ft. We decided to remove these guards but we wanted to ensure larger items didn't reach the pipe and cause even more headaches. We created debris catchers using some old stockade panel we had around the farm. This solution is highlighted in the below video and has worked really well thus far! Regardless of how your pipe is clogging, a solution like this may fix it! Tomato cages are a bonus on the house!
    A quick update to show proof on concept! It works and it works well! See below. This was after over 2 inches of rain in 24 hours.

Gizmo2, rtgt, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.

Tractors: JD 4052R, JD 4105, JD 2520 Other Non-Green Machines: Case 580K backhoe, Grasshopper 928D, Grasshopper 721D, Husqvarna 390XP, 450, 455 and 460 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08 PM
    Thanks
    Great Idea! Lots of people don't understand how much debris comes with runoff.
    I had a similar problem with the county's storm grate at the edge of my property. In a heavy rain, grass, leaves, etc. washed over top and completely sealed it off. I raised it 3-1/2" using painted, pressure treated 2x4 "legs" -- it used to be flush with the concrete surface. I haven't had a clog since.

The cast iron grate weighs over 200 pounds. I didn't want to risk losing it into the six-foot-deep catch basin, so I lifted it with a home made hoist while installing the legs. Final images are attached. I'm sorry I didn't take "in progress" photos. I didn't realize at the time that I would be quite so influenced by GTT...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails StormGrate.png  
    BigJim55 and IndyFarmLife-AC like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yet another update on this fix. This time it was really tested. The fix worked, but the pipe was just too small this time around. However, leading up to this storm the ground was completely saturated and we had rains like we haven't seen since we have owned the property.

mark02tj likes this.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements