So... what do you guys know about blueberries?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: So... what do you guys know about blueberries?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 12:16 AM
    Thanks

So... what do you guys know about blueberries?

The wife wants blueberries. So bad her father just dropped off two bushes. I have clay soil.

I’ve read through the various Apple/fruit threads even though I have none of them because I enjoy reading about it. I searched and found references but no thread

So what do you all know about blueberries?

I was told to put a net over them to keep the birds off. Otherwise all I know is there’s two of them on my porch 🙂

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    I was told,,, the spot they are planted has to be "WET, WET, WET!!"

And,, then there is pH,,,,

I have killed a dozen blueberry plants in my garden,, over the last half dozen years,,
    I S W E A R - sulfur kills them!!
    my advise may not be the best,,,

Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 11:00 PM
    Thanks
    They taste good and I know how to spell it. Thatís about it.
    Guess Iím here to learn
    ChrisR, Levi, keane and 1 others like this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    SRG
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks
    I know that they thrive in lower central Michigan, for some reason. Blueberry farms everywhere there.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post

I have killed a dozen blueberry plants in my garden,, over the last half dozen years,,
    I'm the opposite, sulfur is the way to go but you have to use the correct amount. I'll see if I can dig up the listing, but will be away from the computer for a few days.
    Levi and Dr Kubar like this.
    2025r fel snowblower

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post

I'm the opposite, sulfur is the way to go but you have to use the correct amount. I'll see if I can dig up the listing, but will be away from the computer for a few days.

they had the sulfur ratios in here, didn't see it any more, but this is a good guide.

How to grow blueberries
    Levi likes this.
    2025r fel snowblower

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:53 AM
    Thanks
    Early last spring i bought 9 blueberry bushes about 16 inches tall, 3 different varieties, and planted them in a corner of where the soil is very rich with compost. I put bonemeal under them and kept the soil damp for the first weeks so that the roots would take.

They all produced blueberries and yesterday some of the bushes had leaves . . . we are in Atlantic Canada.

Good luck. Picking fresh blueberries for breakfast is great!
    Levi likes this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Thanks
    I've never known blueberry plants to be hard to grow, but they are native to the northeast and grow in the wild just about everywhere.

Birds do love to eat them. You may need to net them but don't expect a lot of berries from the first year they are planted. So the netting can wait.

From what I remember the plants like soil that is on the acidic side of things and they prefer loose soil. Often in the wild they are found on the edge of a forest or along trails and lining the sides of ponds and lakes. They do need plenty of water and soil that will hold water. Peat moss is a good amendment to the soil for blueberries. Thick mulch or woodchips around the plants will help retain moisture.

To get the most fruit and best tasting fruit you will want full sun on the plants. Fertilizer should be applied in the spring around the time leaves come out if needed. Avoid fertilizing anytime after mid summer to prevent new growth from being damaged by winter.
    Levi likes this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    I am in SW Michigan about an hour inland from Lake Michigan. There are countless blueberry farms between me and the lake. It is BIG business here. It just so happens we have a farmer fairly close to me that is retiring and selling his plants. I just planted 6 each of four different varieties earlier this spring - Jersey, Bluecrop, Bluejay, and Duke. These combined varieties will provide berries from late June to early August. They are full size plants that will produce between 200-250lbs of berries. So, my little homestead is now in the blueberry business.

Here is what I am doing. First thing I did was ordered a soil PH test. The ground where i have them planted has a PH of 7, blueberries like 5. So, I went to my local SiteOne store and ordered some Sulpher to start sprinkling on the plant bases. I plan to do a 1/2 cup on each plant now and a 1/2 in the fall. I will retest in the spring. I am also putting drip irrigation around each plant. Blueberries also like wood mulch so once the irrigation is installed I will mulch the bushes.

Currently the plants are in full bloom with thousands of blossoms. Our beehive is very close to them and the bees are probably working the plants as I type this.

Here is a picture I took of the blossoms the other day and a picture of the plants when I was done planting them. Not sure how to rotate the pics.

I will keep this tread updated as we move through the 2019 blueberry season and how successful we are. I am learning right along with you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blueberry blossom.jpg blueberry planting.jpg
    Last edited by Spartazoo; 05-22-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    etcallhome, Levi, mark02tj and 3 others like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    My folks wanted blueberries years ago and started asking around. There was an old timer who did a lot of gardening who told my dad he'd fix him up. He brought 30 high bush plants of 3 different varieties. He said that was important so they would cross pollinate. He also told them to pick the blossoms off for the 1st 2 years so that the plants could establish a strong root system. They planted them in 2 rows about 4-5 feet apart. He also suggested that we mulch them with pine needles because they like acidic soil; it helps them produce more fruit. IIRC, they used cow manure in each hole before they planted them. These plants are at least 50-55 years old and still yield an amazing amount of fruit. I'll try to remember to take pictures of the size of the berries and how the branches hang down. We also built a fencing around them to drape netting once the berries start coming.

There is a big difference between cultivated (high bush) berries and native berries. The native berries grow close to the ground and are much smaller, but produce a much tangier taste. Most of the blueberry farms in Maine are the low bush type. HTH!
    etcallhome, Levi and CJadamec like this.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast