Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Bamboo issue

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks

Bamboo issue

My neighbor has bamboo growing and is on the border of my property. I want to keep it from encroaching onto my property. Is there any chemical barrier that I can use to keep it from spreading my way?
    I put some solar salt down but don't think that will do anything.
    Copper sulfate?
    2017 1025R TLB
    Artillian 36" forks
    54" snowblower
    54" plow
    I-Match
    53" loader bucket
    16" backhoe bucket

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Termite For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (06-06-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    I would put down a line of gasoline or something to try and kill it.
    KennyP likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 801 Posts
    Have you talked to your neighbor about it?

Chemical treatment on you property / soil can migrate and/or kill stuff on the other side of the fence.

I don't know anything about bamboo. I am fighting Kudzu.

Previous owner of the property didn't care to do anything about it but was ok with me working on his side of the fence. The current owner is willing to help. He didn't even know what it was.

I would have some kind of understanding with you neighbor before you start a control method. At least you'll know where you stand with them.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    The only effective control of bamboo is physical barriers. You need a physical barriers that extends about 12" down into the dirt and is a 1 or 2" above grade to stop the roots from getting to your property.

Bamboo is anamazingly Hardy and a powerful plant. It is actually a form of grass and the plant spreads via root growth. Any part of the root system can regrow an entire plot of bamboo which makes it extrodinarily hard to remove once it's become established.

In the first 3-5 years after the bamboo is planted it will appear under control and stay in one spot. What you aren't seeing is the growth of the rizome system under ground. Once the rizome system is spread and strong the plant will spread rapidly. Most varieties are cold hardy and continue to grow thru the winter. Leaves are shed in the spring and after the leaves fall new growth and shoots will come up quickly from the ground.

In a residential setting bamboo should be carefully contained. In my area every town has an ordinance banning you from planting it. There are a number of properties that have overgrown and uncontrollable patches of bamboo on them now.
    rtgt, BigJim55, Treefarmer and 5 others like this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    The only effective control of bamboo is physical barriers. You need a physical barriers that extends about 12" down into the dirt and is a 1 or 2" above grade to stop the roots from getting to your property.

Bamboo is anamazingly Hardy and a powerful plant. It is actually a form of grass and the plant spreads via root growth. Any part of the root system can regrow an entire plot of bamboo which makes it extrodinarily hard to remove once it's become established.

In the first 3-5 years after the bamboo is planted it will appear under control and stay in one spot. What you aren't seeing is the growth of the rizome system under ground. Once the rizome system is spread and strong the plant will spread rapidly. Most varieties are cold hardy and continue to grow thru the winter. Leaves are shed in the spring and after the leaves fall new growth and shoots will come up quickly from the ground.

In a residential setting bamboo should be carefully contained. In my area every town has an ordinance banning you from planting it. There are a number of properties that have overgrown and uncontrollable patches of bamboo on them now.
    This is pretty much what I have read about it. Was just hoping there was something other than a physical barrier that I could use to deter root growth in my direction.I would need 100' of barrier which would be extremely difficult to install. I'm not sure my town has an ordinance or not but have heard of them.
    Last edited by Termite; 06-05-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    2017 1025R TLB
    Artillian 36" forks
    54" snowblower
    54" plow
    I-Match
    53" loader bucket
    16" backhoe bucket

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post

I was going to say this as well. While I don't grow Bamboo, I do grow hops for home brewing and like Bamboo, it has rizomes that spread under the surface and it can get out of hand. Combine that with the fact that those of us the grow it for for use in brewing also most likely want to grow several varieties. Personally I grow mine in large planters so I can control what is where. Other people that would rather leave them in the ground and they will build a box (no bottom) from treated 2x12s. The rizomes will spread but do not go deep so as long as their physical barrier stays intact, they can control the spread of the plants. I don't know bamboo as well to say it only goes 12" deep but I am sure that could be researched and that is likely the best defense.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and trboxman like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 801 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Termite View Post
    This is pretty much what I have read about it. Was just hoping there was something other than a physical barrier that I could use to deter root growth in my direction.I would need 100' of barrier which would be extremely difficult to install. I'm not sure my town has an ordinance or not but have heard of them.
    Well it sounds easier to control than Kudzu.......and no chemicals involved.

Each state and municipality differs in the laws about these things. You might do some checking but your neighbor may have some responsibility to control it.
    BigJim55, trboxman and Kbar like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 AM
    Thanks

Pramitol

You can use chemical barriers/soil sterilizers like Pramitol. It basically sterilizes the soil and nothing grows for some time. It will migrate some but not very far. Unfortunately with bamboo, I think it will be a continual battle although I've heard that mowing the small plants as low as possible will help reduce the spreading.

If you neighbor would be willing to remove it, that's the best thing.

Treefarmer
    rtgt, BigJim55 and Dr Kubar like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Guessing it hasn't started growing on your property.. I would talk to the neighbor and see if they could move it to another location . If not , keep mowing that section or weedeat it as low as you can.

Harley had a bush , may have been bamboo. apx 18" across a and every year would grow to about 3'-4' tall. and to me looked like dead grass.
    Every year had to cut it off.,, his wife like seeing it so after she passed away he told me to get mowing it off. After one season you can't tell where the plant was growing.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 AM
    Thanks
    I'm no expert on bamboo, but I've looked into it to use as a privacy screen here. There are varieties of bamboo that don't spread, but chances are your neighbor won't know what he has - so I'd figure it's going to spread.

You're going to need to go deeper than 12" to stop the roots from spreading. I was going to link to a website of a bamboo garden about 30 miles from here, but the site appears to be gone. They used to have a "planting guide" page on their site where they sold bamboo and the barriers. IIRC, the barrier was either 30" or 36" wide/deep. The recommendation was to dig a 3' deep hole, line the hole with the barrier and then plant the bamboo in the lined hole.

Someone mentioned that bamboo is a grass - which it is. I've also read that if you keep it mowed down, you can "control it" to some degree. But it does grow fast so you probably have to mow often.

For kicks, I Googled "Using Round-Up on Bamboo" and got a lot of results. Happy Reading! and Good Luck!
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast