• 3 Post By BillieS
  • 2 Post By stone7

Thread: Spraying fence in the woods

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks

Spraying fence in the woods

I'd like to spray my fence with a Glyphosate and Crossbow mix. I've read to mix it in a 2/3 mix for this kind of application. Do I risk harming the trees? Just the big ones, not concerned about saplings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FGNYOBqUlqlVdBnck0iC8S6Y9Gy_gXVrVJoKKAme--BNqdHSE0wa1dPnSCU9neUZ3UGnzWFnEMZVCL7ovVajTNI_goHmODkE.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	690238

My neighbor doesn't maintain his property on his side. I've got enough room on my side to walk up with a string trimmer. There are a lot of holes and drop offs where my path in the pic is as far over as I can really drive the tractor, which is why the fence is were it is. If I go a foot on the other side of the fence, does that change anything regarding the trees?
    stone7 likes this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    I'd think you'd be safe. Glyphosate is absorbed by the leaves of the plants and then works from there. Some minor over-spray on a tree trunk shouldn't affect it. I'd just be careful not to over-apply and leave a bunch to soak into the ground.
    Bubber, jdforever and PJR832 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

Contact herbicides

Both are contact herbicides and depend on the herbicide being absorbed with through leaves or through cuts in the bark leading directly into the vascular system of the tree, however 2,4,d has some cautions.

You should be fine although the 2,4,d in Crossbow can aerosolize and burn plants that it doesn't actually hit. Some plants are really sensitive to 2,4, d so you might want make sure there aren't sensitive plants on the neighbor's side.

Treefarmer
    Bubber, jdforever and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks...

I'm going to spray it with a backpack sprayer, so I should be able to keep overspray and overapplication down.
    Gizmo2, jdforever, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    Thanks...

I'm going to spray it with a backpack sprayer, so I should be able to keep overspray and overapplication down.
    If your backpack came with an assortment of application nozzles, use the one that produces the largest droplets. That in itself will help to keep fine mist overspray to a minimum.
    Last edited by jdforever; 06-09-2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Bubber likes this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    If your backpack came with an assortment of application nozzles, use the one that produces the largest droplets. That in itself will help to keep fine mist overstay to a minimum.
    It does, I'll have to try them out. I haven't used this one yet.
    jdforever likes this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Crossbow is very temperature dependent on weather it turns into a vapor cloud or not. If I recall correctly, if ambient is above 78 degrees, you risk the chemical turning into a vapor cloud, and it is much more harmful to plants in that form. I believe the application instructions advise temps in the 60s as ideal.

The manufacturers safety data sheet for crossbow is also pretty intense, it makes roundup look like a kid's toy. I only spray it when absolutely necessary, and I wear an herbicide rated respirator when I do. I personally would start with the glyphosate and see how it does, mixed at the high end of the recommended amount.
    Bubber, BigJim55 and johncanfield like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    I use Cross Bow a lot. It will not hurt your trees. It will kill any trees around 2 inches or less in diameter. I have found that it will kill a tree about 6" in diameter if you peel the bark back and spray it profusely. I spray around my trees and it has never killed any of the large ones. I use a mixture of RM43+CrossBow. Pretty much takes everything to the ground.
    Bubber, jdforever and Cutty72 like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    07-31-2019 @ 04:09 PM
    Thanks

Great Discussion

I have twenty acres, or so.
    And it's a mess. You could theoretically manage it, but I'm failing.

I have tons, of what I call briars. And tons of grape vines, that insultingly, don't have any grapes.
    So I've had it. And I'm ready to spray.

Of course my sprayer pooped out. And when I rebuild it, rejuvenate it, (I'll be back.)
    Alert, gratuitous, Terminator, reference.

I'm a fan of RoundUp. It kills weeds. And I've never seen a dead mouse, or varmint, with a tumor.
    So, I don't really know what that's all about.
    (But, it's actually very obvious.)

Thanks for the discussion. I did not know about some of the "products" mentioned.
    Bubber and BigJim55 like this.
    JD 4720, JD 445

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements