• 1 Post By johncanfield
  • 1 Post By slowboat76

Thread: Ag people I have a question on pasture insecticide

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks

Ag people I have a question on pasture insecticide

I’ve been using kendo for a few years for grasshoppers and army worms. I believe I usually use the 128 oz gal to usually 120 gallons of water. This time I diluted with 180 and I’m not seeing very good results. A few dead grasshoppers but a lot of little ones still out. My uncle said my mixture should’ve been good for 40 acres. The place is 50 but I did put 20-30ft strips in between sprays. Usually things are dead within 24 hours. It’s been about 48.... what do you guys think. I believe I’m gonna go buy a different chemical and try again. Tried posting this in the off topic section but no reply, figure ag people know about it.
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,080 Posts
    can't help ya on them chemicals as i know nuthing about them. sorry
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    I’ve never heard of Kendo. My father was a crop duster, and his go to chemicals for pastures and gardens were Sevin and Malithion. Both are labeled for pastures. If I remember right, Sevin is a little”hotter”. I think it has a grazing restriction of a few days. You can turn animals out as soon as Malithion dries.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

Kendo

I wasn't familiar with Kendo either so took a quick look at the label. I may have missed it but don't see pastures listed on the label.

If it's not listed, you are right to look for another option.

This might give you some ideas: https://ag.tennessee.edu/EPP/Redbook...mendations.pdf

According to that info, there isn't an established threshold for control of grasshoppers. That doesn't mean you can't spray for them, just that it's not established when you should control them.

Treefarmer
    arlen likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Mustang Max has worked well for me. Never sprayed it in pasture with livestock but I thank is labeled for that. Just sounds like a bad idea to me.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Mustang Max has worked well for me. Never sprayed it in pasture with livestock but I thank is labeled for that. Just sounds like a bad idea to me.
    No guys not pasture, my hay fields, but it is fine in pastures if you wait till it dry before grazing. Same with melothon. I was just wondering about my ratio and how long I might should wait till I spray with something else(time allowed to work) I read most insecticides are only active for about 7 days. I’ve been using kendo for years and preached on it. it’s a type 3 insecticide I sorta believe they may have built up a resistance to. Usually everything is dead within 24-36hrs 😕 it’s been a couple days.... I’m about to take the quad and see if there are any results after is cools down a little. Also I usually don’t put 180 gallons to 128oz of chemical. I usually run 120 gallons and leave 30 yard gaps in between.... I may have just messed up. Reading the label for alfalfa my mix should cover 40 acres. Alfalfa was the closest I could find to coastal. Then the label goes to grain mixture ratios. I was never good at calculating ratios. Specially when they label it in lbs to oz. almost failed the test because of the ratio and equation part lol.
    Last edited by Iron horse; 06-23-2019 at 03:51 PM.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron horse View Post
    ...........Then the label goes to grain mixture ratios. I was never good at calculating ratios. Specially when they label it in lbs to oz. almost failed the test because of the ratio and equation part lol.
    You’re not alone. I have a Texas private applicator license and I struggle with application rates and assorted calculations as well since I don’t apply pesticides very often. We do graze animals so I’m very careful especially when applying a restricted chemical.
    wildbranch2007 likes this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

Used to do paper but now. . .

When we were row cropping, we did all the calculations on paper. Fortunately it was only a few chemicals maybe a half dozen or so during the year but some of them were pretty hot and now aren't available.

If I was doing it now, I'd set up a spread sheet and lock the formulas so that all I had to input was the acreage, gallons/acre and desired concentration. I'd check those formulas a half dozen times to make sure they are right but once locked, you would be able to know the amount of concentrate to use and the amount of water in the tank for your job.

I think you are probably going to go from a pyrethrin base to something hotter. It is good to change up the basic chemistry to avoid building resistance but be aware that you might need some additional precautions.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    I am not familiar with this product, but I have an applicator's license. Results are based on putting the product on target at the correct rate. The amount of water doesn't matter, the important thing is how much product is delivered per acre. In this case 2.56-3.84 oz/acre is the correct rate. You are not too far off in one were treating 40 acres.
    JD 2305
    2018 JD X758
    Simplicity Conquest W/turbo bagger
    Iron & Oak commercial splitter W/ hydro 4 way and log lift
    Husqvarna 346 XP ported x2, 357XP x 2, 562XPG, 372XPG, 288XP ported, 395XP NIB,
    Jred 2159 ported
    Echo CS 355T, & pole saw
    F250 Super Duty CC 8' box and 10,000# 18' trailer

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 12:09 PM
    Thanks
    Look into a Bifenthrin type product and change up the game plan on them. Sniper is what comes to mind, and what we use in our area. Not sure what's labeled in your state, but be sure to follow their recs. Mustang Max is a great product but on the pricey end of the insecticide spectrum. Sniper should run you less than $2.00 per acre. We use a fairly heavy 2 oz per acre rate and spray entire pasture as I believe the skip pattern approach could lead to resistance as each "critter" doesn't get a lethal dose. I would want to run at least 5 gallon per acre to aid the spray in getting down into the low areas of grass as you know its thick in the canopy. I know my program may be seen as overkill but I hate them little suckers with a passion. As always read and follow label directions. LOL
    arlen likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements