Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Slope/grade for new home place

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 12:09 PM
    Thanks

Slope/grade for new home place

Well guys its an exciting time, as me and the family unit have bought a small parcel of land, and we are getting our ducks in a row to build our first ever new home. The home place will be 3 acres which the 2800sf house 750sf garage and storage area and a 30x40 shop will set on. I am building a slab on grade foundation and it will be raised at least 4 blocks high. I am going to grade the land prior to build and want the yard to fall all directions to aid in moving water away from the home. The land has been graded in the past and is table top flat. what would you guys suggest for fall as the center of the house will put it at a little over 160 foot to the edge of the yard. I was thinking 6"s from edge of house to the ditches that will border the entire house place. Anyway let me know what you think. TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Thanks
    I once watched a home being built on a very flat piece of land. It appeared to me they had drainage concerns like you have. They dug the hole for the foundation (and basement), but they only dug it halfway. Then, when the foundation went in, it was sticking up out of the ground, the top half of it. They then used the dirt they had from digging the half hole to backfill around the part of the foundation sticking out to create a good slope away from the house. House has been there awhile and it seems to work okay. I think they also got better views with the house elevated that much.
    mjncad and SulleyBear like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    I would want more than 6" in 160'.

My parents did similar to keane said. They built a ranch, but from outside it looks more like a split level. They call it a "raised ranch".

I would say close to 18" of drop in that much area. Or go for a more aggressive drop close to the house and then it could level off.
    6" of drop in the ~50' around the house should be sufficient.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    Depending on where you are located, most building codes require a minimum of 6" of drop for the first 10' away from the foundation wall.
    2038R, 316, 318 Various mowers, blades, snow thrower, rototiller, etc.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 12:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for the reply. I have been really thinking about doing the steep level for 15 foot or so and then easing it off some to have a very nice looking yard. I wont have a basement it will be mostly 1 level except for back and front porch will be lowered a bit. I have a buddy who is going to make me a GPS cut sheet to make sure the scraper pan will get the slope and height right. I am out of flood zone but with being backed up against a small hill section I will see a lot of runoff down my ditches and want to be prepared for the inevitable flash flood. I am going to take a measurement on the main 4 lane highway 1/2 mile in front of property and I am going to try and make house at least that high. If that makes sense.
    mjncad likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Thanks
    So you want an optimum of 2 percent fall away from your house. Thats 2 feet every 100 feet. at 150 feet, you want 3 feet of fall. You can get away with 1.5 which would be 2.25 feet (2'4") b ut I wouldn't go any flatter unless you have a drainage system to pickup surface water depending on rainfall where you live. I live in one of the wettest parts of the country and the code here is at least 2 percent.
    Also, the foundation should have 6" showing above the ground with siding and everything. That leaves you with a finish floor slab elevation of 3'6" above the 150' perimeter.

Edit: my apologies you said 160 plus. Just multiply the distance by .02 and you get your elevation difference. 160x.02 is 3.2'+.5' for clearance=3.7'. Just under 3'8 1/2" for 160 '
    Last edited by Kbar; 06-25-2019 at 11:19 PM.
    mjncad and BigJim55 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 AM
    Thanks
    Have you had a soils and perc test done yet? That will give your structural engineer the information they need to suggest proper drainage for the type of foundation you plan on doing.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    word of free advisement.......what ever you decide on slope.....raise your building 1' more......you can always add dirt for slope you can never(practically) raise the building.......the world is full of buildings with water problems due to lack of slope do not make yourself a problem...

you have recieved some good advice above on slope requirements

i would like to add that 2% slope is basicly 1/4 inch per foot and should be considered a absolute minimum slope....

good luck sir
    Last edited by ttazzman; 06-27-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    mjncad likes this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    I’ll add to what the others have said. 0put in a slope. You’ll be glad that you did. When we built our house I thought it was too far out of the ground.

Along the front wall it was about 2.5’ higher than the ground. Our builder said to try at him.

After we were done we had a nice grade and best of all no drainage problems.

In the long run fill is cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    mjncad, SulleyBear, MadOx and 1 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    word of free advisement.......what ever you decide on slope.....raise your building 1' more......you can always add dirt for slope you can never(practically) raise the building.......the world is full of buildings with water problems due to lack of slope do not make yourself a problem...

you have recieved some good advice above on slope requirements

i would like to add that 2% slope is basicly 1/4 inch per foot and should be considered a absolute minimum slope....

good luck sir
    Our place needs to be at least 1'-0" higher out of the ground, and 18" - 24" would be better.
    ttazzman likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast