Any tips for newbie building up paved driveway shoulders?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Any tips for newbie building up paved driveway shoulders?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks

Any tips for newbie building up paved driveway shoulders?

My first big tractor/loader project is going to be dressing up the shoulders along my paved driveway. Over the years, erosion and settling have taken away much of the gravel, so the pavement is "high" about 4 inches in places. There are also portions where the slope is a bit steep for comfort on the ZT mower and fill will be added.

I'm having a load of Class 5 delivered next week and will start spreading it. I have a 3046R, 320R w/4 in 1 bucket. I'm guessing I will need to start by dumping material right on the edge and then grading it off flush with the pavement. What's the best way to do this without gouging the heck out of the asphalt? I'd assume float mode on the bucket. Do you suggest any additional edge protection on the bucket edge so the metal isn't in direct contact with the surface?

Sorry for the ridiculous questions, but any advice that will make things go more smoothly would be appreciated.

Thanks
    PJR832 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    The material our local Virginia Dept Of Transportation uses for sub base under paving projects is perfect for what you want to do.

VDOT calls it "mill run" and it is different than crusher run,,

The last thing you want is a gravel that is only one or two sizes,, that single sized material will roll away like ball bearings.

The mill run needs to be compacted,, you can do the compaction with a pickup truck,, but, it will take several passes,,
    bvbearcat and Dr Kubar like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I looked up Class 5,,
    there were at least 5 different ways of making it,, one of them being mixing stone with clay.

IMHO,, the clay would be good fro a road base, where another layer is keeping the water away from it.
    If paved driveway water runoff hits clay based Class 5,, the clay will wash out,, at least I think it would.

Every place I have clay, with no vegetation,, the clay will wash away when it rains.
    Dr Kubar likes this.
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    The mix we typically see around here is small rocks, sand etc mixed together. I don't think they deliberately add clay, but some may be present. It looks like a typical gravel road and is what the dirt service recommended.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Thanks
    highway dept requires a stone that can be compacted and verified via testing............that requires the stone to include fines to the point of powder even then a pure crushed stone product is angular and sill may not pass a nuclear compaction test .....so in our area the product used that WILL if compacted appropriately pass the test includes clay fines.....locally called "dirty base" ....this is normally produced from quarry products at the top of the rock formation that includes some clay from the transition layer..

all that being said..

a 3/4 crushed limestone product with plenty of fines will work and compact just fine for most projects ....just wont pass the test for the highway dept

also the product Requires moisture to reach compaction

a dirty base compacted correctly with moisture will reach reach near 100% compaction and will be very rain washing resistant

Been There done this.....for 30yrs
    Last edited by ttazzman; 06-26-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    rtgt, Dr Kubar and Dr Maphesto like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Thanks
    placing the material will be difficult with a fixed tilt blade......because your tractor tires from side to side will be not level so your blade will not be level....so if your trying to do gravel level with the asphalt then you will have to work at angles keeping tires on level ground and pushing the material in small angular pushes till you get the shoulder up level and can run the tires on it ...

in my opinion the best low tech option would be a box blade that you could run in float and at a preset tilt to compensate for your tractor being un-level

or

put some sort of side extension on your 4n1 push blade to extend it over the shoulder even if it only goes a foot or so outside your tire tracks so you can run the tractor on the level while filling the shoulder even if it takes multiple passes

anytime you run steel on asphalt you will scratch the surface .....float would help also running the bucket cutting edge very flat will also help
    Last edited by ttazzman; 06-26-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    mark02tj likes this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    a 3/4 crushed limestone product with plenty of fines will work and compact just fine for most projects .
    also the product Requires moisture to reach compaction

Been There done this.....for 30yrs
    I use two VERY experienced drivers to deliver this product,,

BOTH of them have told me the material has so much moisture,
    that they have to get the loader operator to scoop the material, then dump it on the ground,,
    and then scoop it again before loading it in the truck.

This "double digging" makes it possible to tailgate the material somewhat.

Last summer I redid about half my driveway,, the driver tailgated the material to perfection over 1/8 of a mile,,

He would start with the body all the way up, and take a flying start before opening the tailgate.
    exact gate opening time, and the perfect speed is necessary to get a perfect coating,,

I have talked to a driver about blocking part of the tailgate before loading, so that the material is dumped only on one side of the driveway,,
    he has done that, but doesn't like to,,

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post

or

put some sort of side extension on your 4n1 push blade to extend it over the shoulder even if it only goes a foot or so outside your tire tracks so you can run the tractor on the level while filling the shoulder even if it takes multiple passes

anytime you run steel on asphalt you will scratch the surface .....float would help also running the bucket cutting edge very flat will also help

I was actually planning to try that, but wasn’t sure if it was a silly idea. Clamp a 2x6 into the jaws of the 4in1 and let it stick out 2’ to the right of the bucket/tires.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:19 PM
    Thanks
    Be careful running a loaded dump truck on the edge of an asphalt driveway in the summer. That stuff can get soft as cookie dough in the right heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dr Kubar and ttazzman like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    ^^^

The dirt has been delivered and dumped in a pile. I'll be spreading it with the loader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast