Opinions Needed on Tree Screen from neighbors?!?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Opinions Needed on Tree Screen from neighbors?!?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 03:15 PM
    Thanks

Opinions Needed on Tree Screen from neighbors?!?

Here is a picture looking at my front yard from house. I live back a 1000+ ft driveway, you can only see part of it. It kind of opens up into the area where the house is. You can't see the other houses down by the road really, except you can see the one neighbor that lives back a lane too.

I'd love to be able to plant some trees or something to block off the view of their house. I moved in here last fall, so I don't know how much they are outside for sure. It's more about just having that feeling that I have complete privacy in my area, not that I'm running around the front yard naked or anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150402_124659.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	532.0 KB 
ID:	43093

I own this strip of grass/shrubby area between us, outlined in red. I guess depending on the tree, if it loses leaves in fall, it wouldn't hide much in winter, depends on number of branches I guess.

I saw a couple of trees in a nursery thing and it says they grow very fast.

1. "Super Hardy Hybrid Willow"
    http://www.farmerseed.com/detail.asp?pid=7548
    These are the fastest growing trees we know of for shade, privacy, wind protection and soil erosion. They can grow up to 20 feet in only one season! Trees are disease-resistant and do not spread by seed or suckers. They often reach 80-100 feet tall with lateral branches from the ground up. They have a life span of 70 years under good conditions.
    2. "Hybrid Poplar"
    http://www.farmerseed.com/detail.asp?pid=6761
    Why wait 10-15 years for regular trees to shade your home? These beautifully-shaped, majestic trees (Hybrid Poplar) will shade a 1-story house in just three years! It has a spread of 30-35' and will reach a mature height of 50-60' in only a few years. Hardy and rugged -- grows almost anywhere! The Hybrid Poplar normally lives 30-50 years and is wind-resistant as well as insect and disease resistant. They thrive even in bitter cold Canadian climate. The results of 50 years of research by the U.S. Forest Service, they are used to reforest fire ravaged land quickly and to reclaim strip mines and land fills. Perfect for screening, too! It insures privacy between houses and serves as a windbreak or snow fence on farms. Plant 9' apart and they grow into a solid green living wall in about 3 years. The screen variety has a width of about 10' with denser branches than the shade variety. All trees shipped will be 3-4' tall. Salt and drought tolerant.

Another I saw in the magazine... not sure about it.
    Siberian Elm

So, what do you guys think? Any ideas, thoughts, experiences?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mbowen89 For This Useful Post:

ddinham (04-02-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Only advice I have is to avoid all willows, if within 1000-1500" of a well or septic tank, or sewer line for that matter. I have not had them, but have had friends that ripped them out after they invaded the draining lines in just a matter of a few years. Other trees can do the same, but they don't seem to do it as quickly, or within as close a radius. Maybe someone else can comment on the other varieties mention.
    Levi likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-02-2019 @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks
    I have a neighbor that has the hybrid willow. Put it up for a wind/privacy block. Very good for the summer, but worthless in the winter. I suggest these trees to get something going very quick and then plant some Norway spruce trees along the same line to eventually take over

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 03:15 PM
    Thanks
    My leach field is down by the driveway area actually, but I think it would be far enough away for sure not to matter.

I'm kind of having back and forth feelings on having the coniferous type tree. It doesn't seem as "Indiana woodsy" like a deciduous which is what most of the surrounding woods is. Of course coniferous are the only ones that would actually be a tree screen in the winter, which seems like half the year most of the time, haha!

The problem is I want there to be a wall of trees there NOW. But that's just not going to happen. Even if the trees grew 5ft a year, it will take years to hide the neighbors.. ugh, it's like the stock market, takes forever to make money on it, definitely an investment.

The poplar is probably the most "standard woodsy" tree look I guess... anyone heard much on the hybrid poplars?

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:23 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
    Here is a picture looking at my front yard from house. I live back a 1000+ ft driveway, you can only see part of it. It kind of opens up into the area where the house is. You can't see the other houses down by the road really, except you can see the one neighbor that lives back a lane too.

I'd love to be able to plant some trees or something to block off the view of their house. I moved in here last fall, so I don't know how much they are outside for sure. It's more about just having that feeling that I have complete privacy in my area, not that I'm running around the front yard naked or anything.
    With that much land, you should be able to run around naked!!

SWMBO wanted a weeping willow tree for our yard. I looked into them and found that they are septic field invaders so she's not getting one after all. I've heard the same thing about the sugar maples that are in my front yard.

Also, stay away from the Siberian Elm. I had looked at it as well (from the same catalog you linked to! ) and ruled it out because of this. It seems too much like the honeysuckle I'm trying to get rid of.

I'm kind of in the same boat you are. We're on 5 acres that is wonderfully private for half the year when the leaves are up (and I can run around naked! Had a coyote kind of scare me one night while I was grilling on the back deck in my underwear! ) but we can see too much of one neighbor the other half of the year. I'm looking at arborvite as well as some other evergreens. The bad thing is that they're all long term solutions. Hopefully you're younger than I am.

Hopefully some other folks will weigh in with suggestions. I'm all ears!!
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

9. Top | #6
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I run around naked in my yard, and sometimes in my pastures. If the neighbors don't like it, they can go back indoors and draw their curtains!! I'll do my nekkid rain dance, and work in my water gardens in no clothes, if I want to. One reason that I live in the country. I do however, draw the line at weedeating in the nude. That could prove to be painful!!

And if your neighbor complains about you being in the nude and visible, *he* can spend the money and put in the trees!!!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

Fizxman (04-08-2015)

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Thanks
    I'm having the same sort of issue and I'm wrestling with the same "I want it NOW!" problem. I think I've settled on a combination of Lombardy Popular and Norway Spruce. Both are fairly fast growing. The popular's more so than the spruce. My hope is that I'll get good screening in a year or two with the Popular for the summers and the spruces will then have time to grow in and, eventually, take over and I can cut the Populars down in 10 or 15 years.

I've got them all in my shopping basket with the Arbor Day Foundation. Just need to pull the trigger on them.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    I run around naked in my yard, and sometimes in my pastures. If the neighbors don't like it, they can go back indoors and draw their curtains!! I'll do my nekkid rain dance, and work in my water gardens in no clothes, if I want to. One reason that I live in the country. I do however, draw the line at weedeating in the nude. That could prove to be painful!!

And if your neighbor complains about you being in the nude and visible, *he* can spend the money and put in the trees!!!

Totally agree
    Levi likes this.
    John

Case 1070 Agri King with Cab loader and 12 Speed Power Shift

JD X485 with 62C deck
    JD 425
    JD 325 With 48 inch Deck and 30 Mechanical Tiller
    JD Gator TH 6x4
    JD 216H 46 mower and 33 tiller
    Stihl MS250, KM130R

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks

I would like to see a few photos before I make any hasty decision. A well informed decision is usually the best decision.
    ColonyPark, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts

Talk, talk, talk. No photos? Never happened. You know the deal around here.............right?
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower