Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cold Cellar Storage

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:03 PM
    Thanks

Cold Cellar Storage

Does anyone have something like this for storage of potatoes, carrots, apples and such. Iím thinking of digging/building somewhere to keep stuff. Now that I have a backhoe it should be easy peasy. For those that have one, what crops are you storing in them or what would be possible to store in that kind of environment?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2019 2025r: Galaxy R3+, 60D AutoConnect, 120r loader, 260b backhoe, AP10F 42Ē forks

1948 Farmall Cub: L-54 snow plow, 193 one bottom plow
    Husqvarna push mower (I forget the model)
    Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw: 24" bar w/ skip tooth, 20Ē Power Match full comp
    Craftsman 18" chainsaw

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpoog1989 View Post
    Does anyone have something like this for storage of potatoes, carrots, apples and such. Iím thinking of digging/building somewhere to keep stuff. Now that I have a backhoe it should be easy peasy. For those that have one, what crops are you storing in them or what would be possible to store in that kind of environment?
    pretty much what u just said above. both my grand parents had them. on top of everything else in them, it made a great place to hang a deer for a couple of days, they wouldn't freeze so hard then, to cut them up.

how big are u looking to make it? 10 by 10 maybe
    rjpoog1989 likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Kinda.

We poured a full basement under our porch. We keep canned god and potatoes down there. Iím slowing getting it dry looked to help keep some moisture out as I have other stuff I want to store in it at well. Itís about 8X40 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J3 Driver View Post
    Kinda.

We poured a full basement under our porch. We keep canned god and potatoes down there. Iím slowing getting it dry looked to help keep some moisture out as I have other stuff I want to store in it at well. Itís about 8X40 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    j3 driver--did ya install a window or i should say a vent of some sorts along the outside wall? my aunt done the same thing in her front porch-it works great--bad thing--she's getting way up there in age--and her knees are pretty bad now-so she hates to walk down her basement steps to get to it.

i wanted the same thing underneath my front porch too-but the company that was doing my foundation was giving me fits about the extra pour-so i gave up on it-but i wish i would of insisted about
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    pretty much what u just said above. both my grand parents had them. on top of everything else in them, it made a great place to hang a deer for a couple of days, they wouldn't freeze so hard then, to cut them up.

how big are u looking to make it? 10 by 10 maybe
    Iím not sure about size. Maybe 8x8 or so. Been looking at some ideas online and the most intriguing so far is to bury a 1500 gallon water tank. Seems like a very cost effective way to get the job done. I found one on marketplace for $250 but itíll be a drive to get it. Probably at least another $100 in gas...

From what I can gather you want 2 vents for air circulation. 1 at floor level and one at ceiling height. I think the floor one to be facing prevailing wind, but canít remember.
    2019 2025r: Galaxy R3+, 60D AutoConnect, 120r loader, 260b backhoe, AP10F 42Ē forks

Craftsman 18" chainsaw

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    I keep toying with the same sort of idea. I have a small hill in my side yard so I thought about digging into the hill, pouring a concrete slab, some cinder black walls and finding some way to pour a concrete slab roof. Then I'd use the soil I dug out to bury everything except the doorway. The basic concept would follow the old root cellars of yore. My only concern with the plan is keeping rodents out.

We grow a sizeable garden every year and it would be nice to keep fruits and veggies in a way they keep longer.
    coaltrain and rjpoog1989 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I grew up with cold cellars. We kept mostly potatoes and apples in ours.

Our current house has kind of a fruit cellar of sorts. Itís concrete block but only 1/2 underground. It is the foundation of what was once a porch but is now our sitting room. It works fairly well but would work better if it was totally underground.

You donít hear much about these things anymore. People donít seem to store food anymore - depend on the store to keep it for them.....

Our regular basement is lined with shelves for canned goods - canned in the sense of our home canned stuff.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I keep toying with the same sort of idea. I have a small hill in my side yard so I thought about digging into the hill, pouring a concrete slab, some cinder black walls and finding some way to pour a concrete slab roof. Then I'd use the soil I dug out to bury everything except the doorway. The basic concept would follow the old root cellars of yore. My only concern with the plan is keeping rodents out.

We grow a sizeable garden every year and it would be nice to keep fruits and veggies in a way they keep longer.
    Iíve seen a lot of plans online for doing that. Iíve been wondering what the cost of such a thing would be. I could do the work myself, but materials would not be cheap.

We have a good sized garden, but Iím hoping to expand and do things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I grew up with cold cellars. We kept mostly potatoes and apples in ours.

Our current house has kind of a fruit cellar of sorts. Itís concrete block but only 1/2 underground. It is the foundation of what was once a porch but is now our sitting room. It works fairly well but would work better if it was totally underground.

You donít hear much about these things anymore. People donít seem to store food anymore - depend on the store to keep it for them.....

Our regular basement is lined with shelves for canned goods - canned in the sense of our home canned stuff.
    We can a good bit of stuff, and I store that in the basement. Some stuff, especially carrots, I prefer to be fresh. Iím wondering though if I could store cabbage heads or green peppers whole in the cellar.

Craftsman 18" chainsaw

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpoog1989 View Post
    Iíve seen a lot of plans online for doing that. Iíve been wondering what the cost of such a thing would be. I could do the work myself, but materials would not be cheap.

We have a good sized garden, but Iím hoping to expand and do things easier.

We can a good bit of stuff, and I store that in the basement. Some stuff, especially carrots, I prefer to be fresh. Iím wondering though if I could store cabbage heads or green peppers whole in the cellar.
    Iíve never tried either - carrots would be canned and cabbage made into sauerkraut. I doubt very much that green peppers would keep.

We also canned the bulk of our potatoes as we are not real baked potato people. Canned potatoes work great for soups/stews and also perfect for quick home fries.
    Oscar Leroy likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Forgot to add to my last post -

Think of root type vegetables for storage in a cold cellar - guess maybe thatís why a common name is root cellar?
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast