Thanks

Tree Question

How would you fall this tree?

It's leaning against a hickory tree
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190628_064626_1561844458838.jpg
    ~Rick~

Psalm 27:1

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the
    strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Tolerance And Apathy Are The Last Virtues Of A Dying Society

2016 4105 - FEL, iMatch, Land Pride RCR1272, 5" Taylor Rotary Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    Chain up the trunk 3í or so above the break, attach chain to tractor. Cut tree between chain and break. Pull chain with tractor to free top of stuck tree.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Thanks
    I'm picturing the tree falling and pulling the tractor with it, it's a pretty big tree.

If I cut between the chain the the break.

I could see cutting a above the chain then pulling because then the tractor is connected to the smallest piece of the tree..

Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Chain up the trunk 3’ or so above the break, attach chain to tractor. Cut tree between chain and break. Pull chain with tractor to free top of stuck tree.
    ~Rick~

Psalm 27:1

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the
    strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Tolerance And Apathy Are The Last Virtues Of A Dying Society

2016 4105 - FEL, iMatch, Land Pride RCR1272, 5" Taylor Rotary Tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Hi, I've had very little experience with your situation but the two times it's happened I tied a 3/8" rope to a big wrench and threw it over the tree as high as I could. Then I used the 3/8" rope to pull a very long 3/4" polypropylene rope over the tree. I tied a bowline around the other end of the rope to make a cinch. I cinched the rope around the tree put the rope through a pulley fixed to another tree and tied another loop at the other end of the rope and put it around one of the tow hooks attached to my truck and pulled it down. If you decide to pull the tree down I'd suggest that you use a pulley and pull away from the direction of the falling tree. Much safer. Good luck, let us know how you made out.
    Last edited by NotYourGrandfathersDeere; 06-29-2019 at 08:46 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Thanks
    Chain up the trunk 3í or so above the break, attach chain to tractor. Cut tree between chain and break. Pull chain with tractor to free top of stuck tree.
    I had the exact same hung up tree situation a couple of months ago at my daughter's home. Except I didn't have a truck or tractor there. So I was just going to "chunk it down" from the bottom. I intended to do careful chainsawing just above the break to free the tree from the stump, then chunking off 3 foot sections until the tree goes vertical and falls away from the other tree. I've done it before and it can be dangerous, but if you don't have access to something that can pull it down, it is one way to do it. But it does take a bunch of time.

Just after I got the tree free from the stump, a neighbor comes by with his pick-up and a several straps. We put a strap on the tree just above the cut, and he pulled it out of the other tree. It took me a bit of time to cut the leaning tree loose, and then in less than five minutes after the neighbor showed up, the tree was down.

I like the pulley and pulling at an angle to the tree idea as mentioned. It depends on the situation.

Whatever you do, be careful.

Just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Thanks

Well, if I absolutely had to. . .

My preference would be to leave it there until it came down on it's own but if I had to take it down, I'd first really look at the top and see how it's lodged, whether it's just a bridge, or laying over a limb etc. Then I'd figure out which way the sucker is going to go at the top before I planned my cut.

When I cut, I'd first do a slightly angled top cut and if the top of the tree would let me do it, I'd be on the far side of the tree from the picture. My reason is that if my body is closer to the stump side it's slightly less exposed to the tree kicking.

Anyway, I'd make the top cut, drop a plastic or wood felling wedge into the cut and then undercut a wedge before making a final cut to meet the top cut.

My angled top and bottom cuts would be to have the tree slide away from me rather than jam solidly or slide toward me. It looks like the tree basically broke instead of an uproot so there is hopefully still control at the stump end.

I hate cutting lodeged trees and my preference would be a chain and skidder, dozer or winch to pull it off the stump rather than cutting. But if I had to cut, I'd use every opportunity to make sure nothing kicked toward me.

Treefarmer
    Tomfive, jdforever, keane and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Thanks
    Chain up the trunk 3’ or so above the break, attach chain to tractor. Cut tree between chain and break. Pull chain with tractor to free top of stuck tree.
    I did something very similiar to what you suggest and was almost killed. The tree when the base was cut came loose up top deflecting so that the top came down on my ROP in a heartbeat and shattered. No damage to me or the tractor but it was certainly a surprise not at all expected. Thank God for ROP.

Looking at the pix I think i would get one or more strap or chain from a point high up tied off to a tree on the opposite side from your tractor to stop it from comming at you. Then i would just try first pulling it at the bottom to see if it will budge first before trying to cut it.Then if that dosent move it i would cut close to the ground so that when it moves it will not have far to go. From the looks of the pix once it is secured you should be able to carefully make a small cut then tighten up the tractor cable or winch and keep repeating this till she gives. The key here is SLOW AND EASY
    Last edited by bfloyd4445; 06-29-2019 at 10:32 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfloyd4445 For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman†(06-30-2019)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks
    Iíd cut it. Have done it many times. Itís going to want to pinch your saw. Cut from the bottom up . Expect it to want to kill you. Be ready to quickly get the hell out the way.

Iím thinking the top is hung up in another tree. So itís likely youíll need to cut off a few chunks or pull it to get it to fall to the ground.

Cutting standing dead / up trees isnít exactly the safest thing to do. If your not comfortable doing it, itís probably best to get someone else to do it.
    rtgt, wildbranch2007 and Kbar like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ejb69 For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman†(06-30-2019)

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Pay a professional to do it. Life is too precious!
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    Pay a professional to do it. Life is too precious!
    Either have a professional do it,,, or,,,,

look at the way it is "lodged" there should be a preferential way the tree is interested in falling,,

If you can determine the preferred direction, get a long poly rope, and a Come-A-Long,, and with the rope tied at the highest point possible,,
    put some tension on the rope by connecting the Come-A-Long to a nearby tree.

Let nature help you,,
    when the wind blows, the tree will "move" toward the direction it is being pulled,,
    depending on the wind, with a few repeated tightenings,, the tree could be down in a day, or it could take a week. It WILL come down,,

BUT, the most important part is that you and your saw will be at a safe distance at all times,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast