Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cover crop before wheat

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks

Cover crop before wheat

Due to our crazy weather I planted none of my ground this year. I'm looking to put wheat in one field. I worked it down once this spring, it was chisel plowed in the fall to get ready for corn. I don't want to leave it empty all summer and have weeds come back. Was thinking of seeding a cover into it. I didn't think another small grain was a good idea to put on it before wheat. Any recommendations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Legume

Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    Due to our crazy weather I planted none of my ground this year. I'm looking to put wheat in one field. I worked it down once this spring, it was chisel plowed in the fall to get ready for corn. I don't want to leave it empty all summer and have weeds come back. Was thinking of seeding a cover into it. I didn't think another small grain was a good idea to put on it before wheat. Any recommendations?
    That's a backwards situation from our usual practice in this area where wheat is sometimes used as a winter cover crop.

Anyway, I'd look for a legume if you want to put some nitrogen in the soil. A clover, vetch etc. would do it.

Kings has a pretty good guide: https://www.kingsagriseeds.com/wp-co...l-2018-PIG.pdf

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:44 AM
    Thanks
    I would go with buckwheat all day long. Must faster to establish than clover, makes tons of biomass, easy to kill off by tillage or frost and grows incredibly well in Michigan summers. One good rain after seeding and it will germinate and put up a good temporary stand.
    PaDave likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    That's a backwards situation from our usual practice in this area where wheat is sometimes used as a winter cover crop.

Anyway, I'd look for a legume if you want to put some nitrogen in the soil. A clover, vetch etc. would do it.

Kings has a pretty good guide: https://www.kingsagriseeds.com/wp-co...l-2018-PIG.pdf

Treefarmer
    It's a winter cover crop here too if in the spring it looks terrible haha.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Super55 View Post
    I would go with buckwheat all day long. Must faster to establish than clover, makes tons of biomass, easy to kill off by tillage or frost and grows incredibly well in Michigan summers. One good rain after seeding and it will germinate and put up a good temporary stand.
    Funny you mention that. I thought about it as I also keep bees on the other side of the road from the field.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Would oats be a poor choice as a cover before wheat?

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    Would oats be a poor choice as a cover before wheat?
    The problem with any grassy cover crop is the volunteer crop you will have next year, especially if you are not haying the cover crop.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    After buckwheat was mentioned, I went looking for some to order,, and found this,,

https://thefeedandseed.com/

Kinda a home based business,, I like to support those,, so I ordered 15 pounds,,
    that ought to be enough for the part of my garden that has nothing growing in it,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 05:44 AM
    Thanks
    Buckwheat is one of my favorite warm season crops if I missed spring planting or decided to prep a field for fall planting during the summer. Nothing else I have tried establishes so easy or can withstand deer damage as well. It can usually be found at local co-ops or feed stores and if not there it looks like you can get it online as well.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    That's what I figured was wrong with oats. Wouldn't want them in the wheat. Our local feed elevator should carry it.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast