Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Stumped

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks

Stumped

Why won't this #$&n stump come out. Thought I did good. Cut all of the roots. Realized it was more than likely too heavy for the little guy so I hooked it up to my truck and no bueno. Tap root?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, rtgt, OxPath and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    Most likely answer is a tap root. I mean, something has to be keeping it there right?

Do you know what type of tree is was?
    etcallhome, rtgt, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

robertopod (07-02-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Thanks
    what breed of tree

You'd be surprized how big the root ball on an Oak is.

They are a pita to dig out......Now I leave the tree attatched for leverage and the little mini ex can topple 100' r's.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to theduke For This Useful Post:

robertopod (07-02-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I do not know what kind of tree it was. It's been a stump since we bought the land. We have a lot of thorny locust kind of trees on the property. The previous owners had a bunch of the "bad trees" cleared from this 2 acres to build on. (then they didn't). So I have about 15 more stumps to get out after this one.

Gizmo2, Superglidesport and rtgt like this.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 797 Posts
    I believe you have some more digging to do.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

robertopod (07-02-2019)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:10 PM
    Thanks
    honey locust (thorny) ....of which i try to remove 20-50 each year on my property....are a major tap root tree......in addition to usually 2-3 major branch roots .

i use a full size backhoe ...dig perimeter feeling for and cutting the branch roots then push as high as i can reach in wet weather to break the tap root .....then drag them off........yep if thats what it is you have more work to do sir wet weather can be your friend

as a service to others...i have learned to ring the tree usually fall before leaves fall...then pour Tordon in the ring...let it set sometimes a year but at least till spring....if you dont use a killer they left over roots will sprout a whole crop of sucker sprouts you will have to deal with later....but i wait to deal with them...one of these days i will have them eradicated hopefully before i die on my property (i am very open to other methods)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails backhoevstree (Small).JPG  
    Last edited by ttazzman; 07-02-2019 at 10:35 PM.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ttazzman For This Useful Post:

robertopod (07-02-2019)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    I believe you have some more digging to do.
    I can't figure out where to dig more. Out from the tree? Just deeper? Is there a way to get under the stump that I can't think of? I kept going deeper thinking there must be more root but never hit any. Might just be asking too much of the little dude.
    Last edited by robertopod; 07-02-2019 at 11:02 PM.

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    honey locust (thorny) ....of which i try to remove 20-50 each year on my property....are a major tap root tree......in addition to usually 2-3 major branch roots .

i use a full size backhoe ...dig perimeter feeling for and cutting the branch roots then push as high as i can reach in wet weather to break the tap root .....then drag them off........yep if thats what it is you have more work to do sir wet weather can be your friend

as a service to others...i have learned to ring the tree usually fall before leaves fall...then pour Tordon in the ring...let it set sometimes a year but at least till spring....if you dont use a killer they left over roots will sprout a whole crop of sucker sprouts you will have to deal with later....but i wait to deal with them...one of these days i will have them eradicated hopefully before i die on my property (i am very open to other methods)

I lived on a small farm in north central MO a few years back that had a bunch of honey locust trees. I only lived there for about 4 years, but I had them pretty much eliminated by the time I moved back to KS. They sure made good firewood. None where I live now and no fireplace either.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post

I have a customer of mine with a mini excavator, a backhoe and and a big a$$ trackhoe. That trackhoe put in my waterline and it just plucked stumps like this out like they weren't there. It was awesome.

He is going to have one of his guys stop by and pick it out for me. This one is right in the way of a swale I'm cutting for drainage at our new place. Then I can see what is going on and get a better feel for what I have ahead of me for the next 15 or so that aren't necessarily in the way of anything. Just ugly. May be time to rent a mini excavator or something.

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robertopod View Post
    I can't figure out where to dig more. Out from the tree? Just deeper? Is there a way to get under the stump that I can't think of? I kept going deeper thinking there must be more root but never hit any. Might just be asking to much of the little dude.

...think a tap root almost as big as the tree going strait down......has to be broken off since most are beyond practical diggable depth...........might try something on the stump to twist it to break it

edit: posted the same time as your trackhoe post .....that is the right tool for the job for sure
    Last edited by ttazzman; 07-02-2019 at 11:02 PM.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ttazzman For This Useful Post:

robertopod (07-03-2019)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements