New to raising tomatoes...this look ok?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: New to raising tomatoes...this look ok?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks

New to raising tomatoes...this look ok?

New acreage...previous owner built boxes and filled them with potting soil and some river rock down deep.

Planted tomatoes this spring and I some green maters on the plants. But the bottoms are looking rather rough.

I've been watering them daily lately (in the mid 90's here the last week).

Suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190702_185602.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	693768
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2015 John Deere x750, 60" HC Deck
    1979 Lawn-Boy 7268 ("Frank")
    2007 Lawn-Boy 10797 ("Sally")

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 08:11 AM
    Thanks
    More water. Try some Miracle Grow.
    rtgt and Herminator like this.
    2016 2032R w/H130, 53" Bucket, Frontier AP12F Pallets Forks, 5’ King Kutter Rotary Tiller, TSC Carry-All, Engine Block Heater.
    2000 345 w/48c Mower Deck, Front Bumper, Halogen Lights, Governor at Max RPM. 367hrs
    1990 Push Mower, electric start, rear bagger.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks
    The downside side to raised beds and containers is they dry out quickly. The soil should be moist but not soaked. You may need to water twice a day . With the amount of rain we have been getting lately,there is no need for watering around here.
    rtgt, Herminator and DaubsNU1 like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaubsNU1 View Post
    New acreage...previous owner built boxes and filled them with potting soil and some river rock down deep.

Planted tomatoes this spring and I some green maters on the plants. But the bottoms are looking rather rough.

Suggestions?

It's been my experience when it does that it's getting to much water. To much water will make it rot from the ground up.
    pappa, wildbranch2007, tj1 and 2 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 AM
    Thanks
    I agree. Looks like too much water. Also i was taught to pluck off the bottom few branches when growing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi, wildbranch2007, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    You may also have a problem in your soil. And it is common to many including myself. Leaves generally turn yellow & also have black spots on them. Causes care in some cases, improper amount of water, like too much or too little. Generally they need about an inch of water per week. But this is just a general rule of thumb. The second issue is you have a soil born bacteria or parasite. This usually travels up the plant & feeds off the leaves. But what happens, this bacteria/parasite blocks off the water & nutrient flow to those leaves causing the die back. Generally there is very little you can do about this. Even changing out all the soil for new may not do a thing to help in the future. If the cause is biological, you would have to sterilize the soil, any & all tools you use including stepping into the soil which may be contaminating the bed.

Sterilizing the soil can be done when all plants are removed & you use a solution of formaldehyde drench. However your probably not going to be able to buy formaldehyde, and it requires a very specific procedure since not only will it kill bacteria, but also anything else in there like earthworms & you if your careless.

But not to worry! The good news is that if you have tomatoes growing on those sick plants, they will survive & mature & be 100% to eat. In case the plant really fails you can always pull the matoes & put them in a dark place or brown paper bag & let them ripen. Keep the bag closed & check every few days & be patient. Next year rotate the growing spot & get rid of those stupid tomato cages. Either make your own cages with wire mesh of your choice & stake them in. Those things you have are too tight. They need room to spread & make them at least 3.5' to 4 feet high.

If your matoes are developing black spots on the bottom, you have Tomato blossom rot most likely. That's caused by too much water usually. Generally uneven watering causes a lot of problems. Don't drown them one day & then starve them the next. Maintain the same amount & watering pattern while growing. Uneven watering causes more problems than you want to know about. As you get into this watch how the fruit is growing. Size & shape tells you a lot about water. Do not over fertilize. All you will do is grow a giant plant & little fruit as the plant consumes the fertilizer but does little for fruit size & yield. Hobby veggie gardening can make you go nuts over the years. Look what its done to me I started when I was 13 years old in the back yard wanting something to do. Now I'm older than the dirt I grow my stuff in & still can't get it right. And there is nothing wrong with potting soil & raised beds. Just watch your water & fertilizer but don't obsess over. As we say, There's always next year to try again.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    If you have this,, it is bad,,

tomato blight - Google Search

our county was once considered the county that produced the most tomatoes in the USA,,

The blight struck, the tomato business is GONE,, the blight is in the soil, it never goes away,,,

We still raise tomatoes, plenty for the family, but, not full season, the blight gets them.

It starts from the bottom and moves up. and it helps that the tomato leaves never touch the soil,,,
    Levi and Herminator like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks

Suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190702_185602.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	693768
    You dog (bottom corner) seems pretty discouraged with the tomatoes
    ColonyPark, Levi and mark02tj like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    I pinched off the brown stems / leaves, and cut back on watering. I'm seeing lots of fruit...nothing turning ripe yet.

We will see..

(Auguste: this is my wife's rescue dog...dumb as a bag of hammers...but good dog...I call him "Mr. Pointy Ears" vs. my Yellow Lab, Zeke, aka, "Mr. Floppy Ears.")
    2015 John Deere x750, 60" HC Deck
    1979 Lawn-Boy 7268 ("Frank")
    2007 Lawn-Boy 10797 ("Sally")

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks
    I pinched off the brown stems / leaves, and cut back on watering. I'm seeing lots of fruit...nothing turning ripe yet.

We will see..

(Auguste: this is my wife's rescue dog...dumb as a bag of hammers...but good dog...I call him "Mr. Pointy Ears" vs. my Yellow Lab, Zeke, aka, "Mr. Floppy Ears.")
    Great expression
    DaubsNU1 likes this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast