Dig up a 43" oak stump, am I crazy? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Dig up a 43" oak stump, am I crazy?

1. Top | #31
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlennon View Post
    As I said in previous post, man's got to know his limitations. I had some success with some smaller stumps, but they weren't oak trees either. Here's what I was dealing with. Sorry the bucket is sort of in the way, but those were the makings for some big hairy roots, bigger than some trees, that I was having to contend with. I had no appreciation for how much stronger oak is.
    I totally understand the limitations concept and As I stated don't break your tractor! A little help; dig quite a ways from the stump and start with the outlings of the roots, the closer you dig to the stump the harder and much larger the roots will be and remember, there will be a few directly under the stump headed to china.. oaks are not pines where the roots are more surface orientated. That root near your hoe appears to be a beaffy one, quite "bigley" expect more of those for a tree that size. good luck. One more thing,, you're gonna need a load of dirt to fill in the hole unless you bury the stump in a larger hole where you are digging now and never plan to do anything in that spot but first you have to get it out of the ground!
    Gizmo2, rtgt and wentonbrown like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #32
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Thanks
    With time and patience you can finish digging that out. You have to go wider with your hole to get to the roots you can cut with your bucket. I can't climb down into the hole to use a saw so I do it all with Betsy's backhoe. 1025r with bh. You have a bigger machine but still need patience. Find the side of the stump where you can get the bucket under the easiest and with the curling up on the bucket you can get as much dirt out from under the stump but also use the bucket as a pry bar. I go all the way around the stump doing this until i see where the stump starts to move and then i keep doing that until things start to move. I also will use the roots as a leverage amd will push and pull to work the taps loose. You can do it!

Here are some pics of a big stump we took out. I colored over my brother in the pic. You can see by the piece he cut off in the bjcket how wide it was. I was going to make a planter out of it then changed my mind. Thought about just burying it but it was on the corner of mybseptic mound so i tore it out instead.

Whatever you decide,

GOOD LUCK!
    WB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180903_133706.jpg   20180916_145951.jpg  
    Gizmo2, rtgt and tj1 like this.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

4. Top | #33
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:27 AM
    Thanks
    Just email the latitude & longitude coordinates to President Xi in China and he can work the numbers backwards and have his million man army dig and pull it on through for you. They can make thousands of chop-sticks from the stump and roots, and your stump will be gone, lol.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #34
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berger View Post
    Just email the latitude & longitude coordinates to President Xi in China and he can work the numbers backwards and have his million man army dig and pull it on through for you. They can make thousands of chop-sticks from the stump and roots, and your stump will be gone, lol.

They are probably closer to the end of the tap root.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

7. Top | #35

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks
    At least now we know you have a backhoe attachment. You should have it out in a week or two (or not). The key to removing stumps with a backhoe is to dig them out. Don't try to pull or you will break something. You have to work outwards away from the stump until you can break the roots easily so you may tear up yards of surface.

I lit into a large sweetgum with a rental 7,000 lb excavator one time and ended up with a huge crater and having to give up. I got it out later when I bought my full size backhoe. Size DOES matter when trying to dig out a large stump.

I had tried to burn it and couldn't get it to burn. I put a drum on top with both ends out and built fire after fire on top but I didn't try charcoal.

The sweetgum is the charred stump in front of my old 855 in this pic. The torn up ground in the photo is from the two cherry stumps on my trailer.

Here is a pic of how I left the sweetgum after excavating.

After it was all said and done it looked like this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cherry-stumps.jpg   stumped.jpg   oct-2018.jpg  
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

8. Top | #36
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    Plan A: Several days work, probably involving physical labor and bodily injury of some kind. Spending lots of money on equipment repairs and wear parts. And a hole the size of a car that you'll need to buy a truck load of fill to cover.

Plan B: Drink beer on porch while a stump grinder disappears it in an hour, probably for less money than you'll spend on plan A.
    1026r | 60D | CID Pallet Forks | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch (extended hook) | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

9. Top | #37

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Machinist View Post
    I don't think I would attempt to dig that out with a small tractor. Try a large bag of charcoal and a fan first.
    Fire is definitely the easiest and cheapest. All my oak stumps get lit and they disappear without any hassle. Even the roots will burn a few feet under ground so they’re not a problem anymore. I’ve actually got a cedar stump to burn here in a bit and some hackberry once they dry out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

10. Top | #38
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 10:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milharri View Post
    Fire is definitely the easiest and cheapest. All my oak stumps get lit and they disappear without any hassle. Even the roots will burn a few feet under ground so they’re not a problem anymore. I’ve actually got a cedar stump to burn here in a bit and some hackberry once they dry out.

Whats your process for burning?
    Do you drill them or use charcoal or something else?
    Years ago I tried burning one, but it didnt work well.
    I have several large ones to get rid of, and burning would certainly be easiest, so any help appreciated!
    rtgt likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

11. Top | #39

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Whats your process for burning?
    Do you drill them or use charcoal or something else?
    Years ago I tried burning one, but it didnt work well.
    I have several large ones to get rid of, and burning would certainly be easiest, so any help appreciated!
    I drill holes in them and then fill with diesel and light. As long as the stump is dry it will work well. If it’s green or wet then it may not work.

3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

12. Top | #40
    Last Online
    07-15-2019 @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Well this thread brough back memories. I had pulled quite a few pine stumps out. They took a while moving the 2520 with the 46 backhoe moving around and tugging until they came out. This last one an was too much for me. I had dug a moon crater in the yard, and still it would not budge. I think it was 18" across. Finally the wife called down the road to a neighbor that has a good size back hoe. Didn't take long with that "puppy". My problem was that the oak roots had curled deep down around rocks. The big backhoe didn't even need to dig just grabbed hold of it, and it started slowly moving.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...-jd2520-3.html see post #30 for pictures.
    The pictures don't properly show how deep the crater is.
    John Deere JD 2520, 62D, 53" bucket, 200cx loader, JD Ballast box, iMatch quick hitch, #46 backhoe, Artillian forks, 4 halogen lights with horse blinders, Frontier SB1154 snow blower

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast