Dig up a 43" oak stump, am I crazy?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Dig up a 43" oak stump, am I crazy?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Thanks

Dig up a 43" oak stump, am I crazy?

I love to browse the what have you conquered thread. And I've done plenty with mine, but nothing so ambitious as many of you, wasn't sure it was worthy. But this, 43" diameter stump, this will be a challenge. Even once I've dug it out, cutoff roots, not sure the 2032 will pull it out. I dug one out half that size, and it was all I could do to lift it with the grapple. There was a lot of dirt/clay among the roots it weighed a ton (figuratively speaking, not really sure how much it weighed).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3239[1].JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	694430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3240.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	4.13 MB 
ID:	694432

So I've often read we can tackle any project with our compact tractors, it just may take longer. I have no idea how deep and broad the roots on a oak tree of this size are.

Advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,825 Posts
    I say go for it.
    Have a reciprocating saw handy with a demolition blade in it.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Thanks
    If its like the oaks I've removed your in for quite a project.

Root ball will be twice the diameter of the stump and probbly 5' tall.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    For a stump that big, I would consider picking up a cheap old beat up chainsaw that you don't mind getting into the dirt. I've cut roots many other ways, but it takes forever. Since you're too close to structures to use explosives, a small "throw away" investment seems to make sense. It also would help you gain better access to leverage points as you dig. Another thought: With a combination of your "good" and "ugly" saws, you might be able to cut vertically to divide the stump into quarters. That would let you pull sideways and backwards on roots rather than straight in tension where they're strongest. I've never tacked a stump that massive. Please keep posting progress!

Oh, and yes you're crazy. But we like that here...
    Last edited by RodW; 07-06-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,510 Posts
    I think I would find a stump grinder,,. and remove it that way.
    mjncad, Tomfive, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:04 PM
    Thanks
    I dig out a Bradford Pear stump with a ridiculous spiderweb of a root ball. I used my craftsman chainsaw and an ax to chop roots. I boogerred up my saw chain pretty bad from dirt, but it’s salvageable. You’re not going to ruin a saw doing such things, but I still wouldn’t stick my Husky in the dirt. Like said above, you could quarter it with a chain saw, and that would help. I think that’s how I’d choose to go about this project. I’m in for updates!
    2019 2025r: Galaxy R3+, 60D AutoConnect, 120r loader, 260b backhoe, AP10F 42” forks

1948 Farmall Cub: L-54 snow plow, 193 one bottom plow
    Husqvarna push mower (I forget the model)
    Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw: 24" bar w/ skip tooth, 20” Power Match full comp
    Craftsman 18" chainsaw

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlennon View Post
    I love to browse the what have you conquered thread. And I've done plenty with mine, but nothing so ambitious as many of you, wasn't sure it was worthy. But this, 43" diameter stump, this will be a challenge. Even once I've dug it out, cutoff roots, not sure the 2032 will pull it out. I dug one out half that size, and it was all I could do to lift it with the grapple. There was a lot of dirt/clay among the roots it weighed a ton (figuratively speaking, not really sure how much it weighed).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3239[1].JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	694430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3240.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	4.13 MB 
ID:	694432

So I've often read we can tackle any project with our compact tractors, it just may take longer. I have no idea how deep and broad the roots on a oak tree of this size are.

Advice?
    2032R? Do you have a backhoe for it? Otherwise if you're planning on using the loader bucket it's going to be quite an excavation. Even with a backhoe, a 46 or a 270 you're in for a heck of a task.

I'd suggest contracting someone with an excavator or a construction TLB to come in and dig it out. Otherwise have the stump ground down below the grade.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Tomfive and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:17 PM
    Thanks
    I don't think I would attempt to dig that out with a small tractor. Try a large bag of charcoal and a fan first.
    Tomfive, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Thanks
    Are there any buried utilities nearby? That’s pretty close to the house. Careful before you start going to China. Unless your putting a structure there, I’d rent a stump grinder if your just planting grass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mjncad, rtgt, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    2019 1025R, iMatch, 120R FEL ,60D MMM, RB2060L rear blade, Rimguard, home made ballast/carry all, home made brush forks, Honda push mower, battery powered Stihl weed wacker and blower, and a crazy Doberman helper.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    Definitely call the wire locating service, it should be free. Otherwise I say go for it. I pulled one out similar in size with my 3025E and an Artillian Hoe Bucket. I would use that or some sort of stump bucket if you have one. Your regular FEL bucket is too big for this task. A BH would probably be ideal but I have never used one so.. You have to dig around the stump and dig down. It will be a pretty wide circle and you will be cutting the roots in addition to removing dirt. Highly doubtful you will be able to lift that stump out of the ground since the roots will have a lot of dirt mixed in. With mine I was able to roll the stump to one side of the hole and then backfill the hole eventually the stump came out of the hole.

Plan most of a day or two to do this. Patience is key If you have utility or water lines buried in the ground then consider just using a stump grinder because it maybe to much of a PIA to work around the lines safely. What are you going to do with the stump once it's out? I am still burning the one I removed and it's been a year and 4 or 5 bon fires. It's significantly smaller than when I first pulled it out but it's still hanging on.

Another less exciting non-John Deere seat time method I have seen on YouTube is people drill a hole in the stump and burn it out. You are close to structure, I assume you care about so that might be too much risk to manage successfully.
    mjncad, rtgt, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (07-07-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast