Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Lawn Weed - Northern Virginia

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 06:05 PM
    Thanks

Lawn Weed - Northern Virginia

I'm struggling to identify an invasive, low-growing, woody stem small leaf weed that's growing in patches in my lawn. I've reached out to my extension agent, but haven't heard back. Does anyone know what this is (I'm thinking it's a spurge of some sort, but it doesn't have the characteristics described in the Weed ID tools I've visited). It's resistant to my normal lawn weed control products.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1209.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	694586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1208.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	694588
    John Deere 2720 with 200CX Loader and 62D Belly Mower
    Attachments: Frontier LR1060 Landscape Rake, John Deere 54" Front-Mounted Snowblower, Frontier RB 1060 Rear Blade, Frontier PM1001 Middlebuster, Howse DLHT168 Tandem Disc Harrow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    Im not sure what it is, but you might try crossbow if you haven't, won't harm the grass and most weeds don't like it
    BillieS likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks

Try the VT Weed Id Site

You can probably get the answer by using the Virginia Tech Weed Identification site: Weeds Identification App

It's really helpful to have a sample of the weed in hand when using the site.

By the way, I think I just sprayed 2,4,d on some of it in our pasture. I'll know in a few days if it likes 2,4,d. . . .
    MadOx likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    You can probably get the answer by using the Virginia Tech Weed Identification site: Weeds Identification App
    I tried VA Tech's WeedID tool and a few others before posting. No one seems to have this weed listed.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks

Unusual

Quote Originally Posted by LeoC4 View Post
    I tried VA Tech's WeedID tool and a few others before posting. No one seems to have this weed listed.
    That's unusual as there are a lot of weeds on that site. I've sometimes had real problems narrowing it down to the right one but then had someone tell me the name and it was on the site.

I'm pretty sure we have it in our pasture and hopefully it's not feeling good after the 2,4,d feeding.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Thanks
    I’m not sure what that weed is. I’ve seen it before though. If 2-4-d doesn’t kill it you might try Confront or Q4. The best 2-4-d product for woody plants that I’ve used is forefront.
    2019 2025r: Galaxy R3+, 60D AutoConnect, 120r loader, 260b backhoe, AP10F 42” forks

1948 Farmall Cub: L-54 snow plow, 193 one bottom plow
    Husqvarna push mower (I forget the model)
    Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw: 24" bar w/ skip tooth, 20” Power Match full comp
    Craftsman 18" chainsaw

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Thanks
    We also have that much further South. It looks a lot like the Lespedesa shown on this site. Is that close?

Weed Alert - View detailed color photos of over 100 weeds
    OxPath and Oscar Leroy like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    ...It looks a lot like the Lespedesa...
    Thanks - that's what the extension agent suggested as well.
    John Deere 2720 with 200CX Loader and 62D Belly Mower
    Attachments: Frontier LR1060 Landscape Rake, John Deere 54" Front-Mounted Snowblower, Frontier RB 1060 Rear Blade, Frontier PM1001 Middlebuster, Howse DLHT168 Tandem Disc Harrow

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:15 PM
    Thanks
    You need Dicamba on that. Plain 2-4d won't touch it. But the commonly available triples like Trimec also include dicamba. I would never buy just plain 2-4d. Buy something like Trimec or Horsepower which contains a three most common and effective broadleaf herbicides for lawns. That will take care of that crap and all the other broadleaf weeds.
    1026r | 60D | CID Pallet Forks | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch (extended hook) | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Thanks
    I am always extra careful and avoid getting too close to trees with any product that contains dicamba. Part of it's effectiveness is because it is soil active. But because of that, it can also be absorbed by tree roots. I don't know how susceptible trees actually are to root absorption, but I would rather err on the side of caution.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast