Raccoons vs rodent bait stations, advice?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Raccoons vs rodent bait stations, advice?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Thanks

Raccoons vs rodent bait stations, advice?

Ok, so we have a rodent problem, although not a big one anymore, as Ive been doing my part to keep them at bay.
    Now we have another problem though.

A bit of backstory.

We live in the woods. Critters are everywhere. Rodents too. I dont mind them as long as they stay out of my stuff.
    This includes Chipmunks, Mice and whatever else might decide to either dig up property near the house.
    I put out small bait stations for the mice, and they work well.
    I have several small single block type stations, and a couple Tin Cat live catch type. The Tin Cats also have bait, but this is to catch the ones that like to live in the attic. They come out to feed at night, and get caught in these, eat bait, and die. The end. For them at least.
    This has worked ok for some time.

Recently, I decided to upgrade the outside bait stations to a larger size to hold more bait and thus be a bit more maintenance free.
    Trouble is, the raccoons have made a big appearance this year and have taken to emptying all of them out, including the tin cat traps.
    They dont care if there are blocks on top or not.
    I ordered some anchor kits made for my particular stations that mount to 12x12 pavers, but Im not sure that will work as well as Id like.
    I have no intention of killing raccoons but Id like them to stay out of the bait, because it certainly will kill whatever eats it, especially if they eat that much.
    My current plan is to use the hardware to attach the stations to the paver, then place a smaller paver on top of it. That should make it heavy enough they wont be able to move it far, if at all. Or at least I hope so.
    My thought is that they cant reach in too far with it laying down, and that since they werent secured to anything, they could get them to whatever angle they wanted to get their little paws in there and get the bait out. Judging from the scratches all over them, it took a bit of doing.
    Anyway, I dont mind killing nusance critters like mice or chipmunks, but unless the raccoon are damaging property, I see no reason they should die if I can help it.

Anyone had issues like this?
    Herminator likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    I have an ongoing battle with rodents - mostly chipmunks and red squirrels although we had a real experience with many flying squirrels this past year.

I don't like to use the "bait" myself as a lot of these critters end up in the walls of the house and will end up smelling when the "bait" kicks in. There would be no way to get rid of it.

My solution has been a combination of snap traps and the good 'ol .22. I am at close range with these guys and .22 shot shell has been working great. And quiet enough that I can shoot from inside the house and my wife in another room doesn't even know I shot. This is more for the benefit of Jake our Border Collie who gets really jumpy with any loud noises.

These are the traps I use both on the deck and in the barn. I simply screw them down to the boards. I actually wore 2 of these traps out last summer - probably got between 15 and 20 red squirrels. They don't work well for chipmunks as they are too light to trigger them.

This also worked like a charm for the flying squirrels that were in the walls and between the ceiling and attic floor. We got one every single night for 11 nights in a row. Then came the peace and quiet at night.

Tomcat Rat Snap Trap, Pack of 1, 33521 at Tractor Supply Co.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	4202701.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	694872
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    These are my chipmunk traps.
    Amazon.com : Victor M144 Power Kill Rat Trap - 1 Pack : Rodent Traps : Garden Outdoor

They are great because you can wedge corn or sunflower seeds into the trigger plate.
    I put milk crates over them if they are out in the open to keep birds and other things out of them.

I guess if I cant keep the raccoons out of the bait stations I got, Ill just have to go back to the old way.
    Ill know more once the retaining brackets show up and I can try that out.

As an update to the original post, the poison most definitely will kill raccoons.
    My neighbor had one big one outside his barn early this AM. By the time an hour had passed, he had 3 dead raccoons in his drive due to lead poisoning...but they were on the way anyway so he did them a favor.
    I guess the one good thing(??) about that is that he generally has one die under his barn every year, so this year might be an exception.
    He says it takes about 2 weeks for the smell to clear out, so theres another 2 weeks he can work in his woodshop I guess.

Im also not a huge fan of baits, because of two things.
    One, they can get in walls and die, which is why the ones near the house are in multicatch traps that they cant get out of.
    Two, secondary poisoning. Thats the reason I use what I do. Very little chance of it with mice, because it takes so little to kill them. Its a single feed bait, and the amount they generally consume wont hurt anything larger that eats a dead mouse thats been poisoned. The multifeed baits are worse about this because they have to consume so much of it, there is a much larger amount in their system.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 07-10-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    johncanfield and bfloyd4445 like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks
    Get a small electric fence charger and create a small pen to put the traps in. Keep the bottom fence wire about 3" off the ground and another row of wire a few inches higher. The pen only needs to be a foot or two long/wide. The mice can get under the wire and get to the bait. Coons don't like electricity.
    -> 2017 John Deere 1025R TLB
    -> Piranha Tooth Bar
    -> 4' County Line Tiller
    -> John Deere Ballast Box
    -> 5" County Line Scraper Blade
    -> County Line Carry-All
    -> County Line Boom Pole
    -> 36" Titan Forks
    -> Ken's Hooks
    -> HF Quick Hitch

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Ok, so we have a rodent problem, although not a big one anymore, as Ive been doing my part to keep them at bay.

A bit of backstory.

We live in the woods. Critters are everywhere. Rodents too. I dont mind them as long as they stay out of my stuff.
    This includes Chipmunks, Mice and whatever else might decide to either dig up property near the house.
    I have several small single block type stations, and a couple Tin Cat live catch type. The Tin Cats also have bait, but this is to catch the ones that like to live in the attic. They come out to feed at night, and get caught in these, eat bait, and die. The end. For them at least.

Recently, I decided to upgrade the outside bait stations to a larger size to hold more bait and thus be a bit more maintenance free.
    Trouble is, the raccoons have made a big appearance this year and have taken to emptying all of them out, including the tin cat traps.
    I ordered some anchor kits made for my particular stations that mount to 12x12 pavers, but Im not sure that will work as well as Id like.
    I have no intention of killing raccoons but Id like them to stay out of the bait, because it certainly will kill whatever eats it, especially if they eat that much.
    My current plan is to use the hardware to attach the stations to the paver, then place a smaller paver on top of it. That should make it heavy enough they wont be able to move it far, if at all. Or at least I hope so.
    My thought is that they cant reach in too far with it laying down, and that since they werent secured to anything, they could get them to whatever angle they wanted to get their little paws in there and get the bait out. Judging from the scratches all over them, it took a bit of doing.
    Anyway, I dont mind killing nusance critters like mice or chipmunks, but unless the raccoon are damaging property, I see no reason they should die if I can help it.

Strange, i have used bait stations for rats for years and have lots of coons and other critters around none of which have ever bothered the bait stations. Did have a bear once that had acquired a taste for lead acid truck and car batteries.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    These are my chipmunk traps.
    Amazon.com : Victor M144 Power Kill Rat Trap - 1 Pack : Rodent Traps : Garden Outdoor

They are great because you can wedge corn or sunflower seeds into the trigger plate.
    I put milk crates over them if they are out in the open to keep birds and other things out of them.

I guess if I cant keep the raccoons out of the bait stations I got, Ill just have to go back to the old way.
    Ill know more once the retaining brackets show up and I can try that out.

As an update to the original post, the poison most definitely will kill raccoons.
    My neighbor had one big one outside his barn early this AM. By the time an hour had passed, he had 3 dead raccoons in his drive due to lead poisoning...but they were on the way anyway so he did them a favor.
    I guess the one good thing(??) about that is that he generally has one die under his barn every year, so this year might be an exception.
    He says it takes about 2 weeks for the smell to clear out, so theres another 2 weeks he can work in his woodshop I guess.

Im also not a huge fan of baits, because of two things.
    One, they can get in walls and die, which is why the ones near the house are in multicatch traps that they cant get out of.
    Two, secondary poisoning. Thats the reason I use what I do. Very little chance of it with mice, because it takes so little to kill them. Its a single feed bait, and the amount they generally consume wont hurt anything larger that eats a dead mouse thats been poisoned. The multifeed baits are worse about this because they have to consume so much of it, there is a much larger amount in their system.
    You brought up a good point and why i tend to like old fashioned victor mouse traps for mice. since i no longer have chiuckens my rat issues seem to have disapeared

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Thanks
    This is a fun thread- A few Thursdays ago, my wife, BIL and I were enjoying adults beverages on the patio. The wife spied a mouse at the end of our patio retaining wall and tried to alert her brother and I to stop it from getting into the house, Before her brother and I were able to visually acquire the mouse, a Red-tailed hawk sitting in a tree about 100 feet away did, I saw the underside of flared wings and sharp talons milliseconds before the mouse met it's end. The whole episode was over in under four seconds: One of the cooler things I've seen here in awhile.

Who needs a barn cat when you have resident and hungry hawks?

A bit of backstory.

glc, Tomfive, pappa and 4 others like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeCoGreenTractorMan View Post
    This is a fun thread- A few Thursdays ago, my wife, BIL and I were enjoying adults beverages on the patio. The wife spied a mouse at the end of our patio retaining wall and tried to alert her brother and I to stop it from getting into the house, Before her brother and I were able to visually acquire the mouse, a Red-tailed hawk sitting in a tree about 100 feet away did, I saw the underside of flared wings and sharp talons milliseconds before the mouse met it's end. The whole episode was over in under four seconds: One of the cooler things I've seen here in awhile.

Wow, what a sight that must have been. I had a problem with my 10 pound + koi disapearing and night cams never caught anything. Then one afternoon i looked over at my pond and saw this large hawk. I went out to scare him away and realized it was no hawk but a golden eagle and he had one of my coy1 He took off but the koi was dead. Mystery solved. Now i just put feeder goldfish in the pond and Eagles don't bother with them
    Tomfive likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeCoGreenTractorMan View Post

Plenty of Coopers Hawks around here. Several nest inside our woods. Trouble is, they have a big range, and rodents in the woods vs out in the open, well, the hawks take the easy prey...lol.
    There have been times where rodents of any size are scarce, but not this year. I imagine this fall should be fun. Probably going to be a lot more small rodent activity than previous years too.

Bait stations now secured to pavers, with smaller pavers sitting on top. Nothing has bothered them since.
    Jim B.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    I don't use baits or traps, our three barn cats keep rodents under control. Two of them are senior citizens so I expect they will pass away in the next year or so, a real shame since one of them is a really good mouser.

We used to RV with friends at a very wooded rural Virginia state park and they were always dealing with mice in their RV. We had two cats with us and never had one issue with rodents.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast