Going rate for pasture per acre?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Going rate for pasture per acre?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks

Going rate for pasture per acre?

Ok, so here's the situation.

I have approximately 100 acres of land that's part of a family farm I've inherited. About half of that is open pasture.

I have no interest in selling, but also have no interest in actively farming it - I've got a full time job that pays better, is steadier and is in general enough to keep me busy.

At the same time, I hate to see land going unused and things deteriorating. This was the family farm for a few generations - but hasn't actively been farmed in a solid decade. Fences are now in need of replacement - barn is still solid though - and the remaining half the land is woods with plenty to offer for firewood and fence post to someone able to work it.

My plan is working with the right person to clean up some things, working the woods in exchange for part of the post and then hiring out someone to install fence with goal of renting out pasture next spring.

My question is, what's going rate on pasture ground these days. I understand it varies regionally - but with beef being the primary livestock locally - I'm expecting that's where the most interest would lie. Might do some smaller sections around barn in woven wire for horses - then larger lots on barbed wire for cattle spring through fall.

Not looking to "profit" from this venture, and really not expecting to. Property tax/insurance are the same if I grow anything or let it sit untouched. The only cost I'd have is the fence and is I can source post cheap enough - could save some $$ there. At the same time - if I lay out cash for labor/materials - I reasonably need to see a return of my investment within 5-8 years I think to make it worthwhile.

Assuming 20k to fence it all, that's 3-5k a year. And I'm worried 20k may be low. 50 acres for 5k sound reasonable? Figured fence is good for 10 years minimum - and if lessor allows me to put a couple of head in myself for personal beef and maintain fence, it's a win-win. Again - horse owners would probably pay more...but cost of fencing is going to be higher.
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Thanks
    The Purdue university extension has all the info you need. I would look it up for ya but i don't know what state you're in.

I'd say the fencing estimate is pretty close depending on what the fence looks like as far as what wire you use, how many strands, post type, etc.
    Last edited by johnH123; 07-25-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to johnH123 For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (07-27-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Thanks
    One question that comes to mind for me is there water for the livestock?
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 5320 4WD with 520 FEL, MX-8 Mower, X585 with 45 FEL, X300, LT 133

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deere1 For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (07-27-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Thanks

Going rate

The going rate will vary tremendously by location even within the same state so I would go to your nearest Cooperative Extension office and see if they have a rental rate survey in your state. If they do, it may even be on line.

As posted above, water is critical. I think it was three years ago we spend close to $20,000 for water well, freeze proof waterer, pump etc. and was putting the well right next to a power pole with a transformer already on it.

You might check with your local Soil and Water Conservation District. Virginia has some cost share programs to get livestock out of streams and that includes fencing. (It also mandates and ungrazed buffer next to the stream so that's another maintenance issue.)

In any case, between Extension and Soil and Water District you should be able to get data applicable to your area. I could give you some rental rates for some parts of Virginia but they probably wouldn't apply in another state.

My recommendation is to not start with the dollars but start by finding the right partner because your renter will be a partner starting from an unfenced farm with some remedial work needed. Find someone you can work with, you can trust with your land and who shares your vision for what it should be. Then figure out the cost share/return. Get the right partner and it will fall in place. Get the wrong one and you will swear that the devil made you rent the land out. Either way, also get a good clear contract that both of you can agree on up front. There are some good sample rental contracts available from various state Extension sites, look at more than one because they vary quite a bit.

Good for you wanting to put the land back in production. I hope you find the right partner.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (07-27-2019)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    There are at least 4 active springs feeding tanks for stock on the property. Probably 2-3 more that could be developed.

Will check with extension office on going rate. Of course showing what the county says to expect and getting it from some of these long timers are different things.

Funny...everyone complains about the cost of getting started, price of land, no money in beef...give them a decent setup though turnkey - and they want to give next to nothing. Like I said, taxes/insurance are non factors to me. I lose that regardless.. land has long since paid for itself. Just would like to see some of the small operators get a level playing field cost wise with the bigger operators.

Of course I understand some guys see a helping hand as a handout. There's a difference to me. I'm not looking to profit at someone else's expense - but I'm not looking for someone to grossly profit off my generosity either.

Needs to be some options out there for young kids getting in the game. Even if they are doing it part time - everyone wants to own...but buying a few hundred acres and making that payment monthly is a big risk. Alot of people just don't get that.
    rjpoog1989, Oscar Leroy and PJR832 like this.

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Thanks

Farm Transition program

Quote Originally Posted by toymaker View Post
    There are at least 4 active springs feeding tanks for stock on the property. Probably 2-3 more that could be developed.

Will check with extension office on going rate. Of course showing what the county says to expect and getting it from some of these long timers are different things.

Funny...everyone complains about the cost of getting started, price of land, no money in beef...give them a decent setup though turnkey - and they want to give next to nothing. Like I said, taxes/insurance are non factors to me. I lose that regardless.. land has long since paid for itself. Just would like to see some of the small operators get a level playing field cost wise with the bigger operators.

Of course I understand some guys see a helping hand as a handout. There's a difference to me. I'm not looking to profit at someone else's expense - but I'm not looking for someone to grossly profit off my generosity either.

Needs to be some options out there for young kids getting in the game. Even if they are doing it part time - everyone wants to own...but buying a few hundred acres and making that payment monthly is a big risk. Alot of people just don't get that.
    You are a good person to be thinking of helping a younger person . Virginia and some other states have a farm transition program that's two parts. One is a registry of farmers who are looking to make a transition out of production or conversely young farmers who are looking for land or who are willing to be managers.

The interesting thing is young farmers can go through a program which gives them some basic management skills and some certification they have at least some skills necessary to make a go of it. Virginia Farm Link Program | Farmland Information Center

Our program is run by the Virginia Department of Agriculture but in ohter states it's run by Extension or even private organizations.

Treefarmer
    Oscar Leroy and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (07-27-2019)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Thanks
    I have no idea how long "cut from the woods" posts would last, but I would hate to have to replace all or most in few years, but I heard Locus will last a long time.

The neighboring farm of 125 acres, sold twice since I owned mine. It had, I am guessing, 50+ year old fences that were in bad shape. The land is now leased for cattle and they kept getting out. Finally the cattle guys demanded new fence or they were no renewing the lease.

I have no idea what the fence cost or what they pay to lease. One of the brothers leasing the land came to see me about the new fence. He told me he agreed to remove the old fence and clear the brush for the new fence. He wanted to know if I had any problems with him doing that, since I might lose some brush. He also wanted to take any dead trees or branches that would innerfere with the fence. I told him I would love a trail on my side along the fence, so he cleared about 15' on my side, mainly brush and saplings. He piled and burned on his side. I now have a lane along the fence

The fence contractor asked if I had a problem with him straddling the line to install the fence. He said much easier for him to drive down the fence line to pound the posts in. He said some owners make him back up to the line for each post. I told him, it was OK as long as he did not leave any trash on my property.
    Last edited by Zebrafive; 07-26-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I have no idea how long "cut from the woods" posts would last, but I would hate to have to replace all or most in few years, but I heard Locus will last a long time.

The neighboring farm of 125 acres, sold twice since I owned mine. It had, I am guessing, 50+ year old fences that were in bad shape. The land is now leased for cattle and they kept getting out. Finally the cattle guys demanded new fence or they were no renewing the lease.

I have no idea what the fence cost or what they pay to lease. One of the brothers leasing the land came to see me about the new fence. He told me he agreed to remove the old fence and clear the brush for the new fence. He wanted to know if I had any problems with him doing that, since I might lose some brush. He also wanted to take any dead trees or branches that would innerfere with the fence. I told him I would love a trail on my side along the fence, so he cleared about 15' on my side, mainly brush and saplings. He piled and burned on his side. I now have a lane along the fence

The fence contractor asked if I had a problem with him straddling the line to install the fence. He said much easier for him to drive down the fence line to pound the posts in. He said some owners make him back up to the line for each post. I told him, it was OK as long as he did not leave any trash on my property.
    You didn’t have to spring for 1/2 the fence? In Minnesota both property owners are responsible.
    johncanfield and PJR832 like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Good point on the above post.

TYPICALLY - a border fence is "joint responsibility" and ownership. Since both parties benefit from it, both potentially owe equally cost of building and maintenance.

Big exception is when one party can PROVE no benefit. Then they don't owe...but unless your property has no foreseeable use as pasture, that's hard to prove - even if you don't presently use it for pasture.

Locust split post can last ALONG time.. I have no doubt most of what is out there now date to 50/60s. The wire has long since rusted away...but some post remain standing. It's time to just rebuild it all and start fresh though.

Like I've said, I'm no better or worse a person for not wanting land to go to waste. It's simply doing for someone what someone did years ago for my father and grandfather...and theirs before them. Somewhere along the line someone helped them get started. When the time came, they turned things over to the next generation.

Sometimes things change. My father didn't farm full time - but he still enjoyed it. I like to think I could, but I'm realistic enough to know the best play is ensure independence financially for my family - then take on "passion projects".

Till then, doesn't hurt to help someone else out.
    mark02tj and PJR832 like this.

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toymaker View Post
    Good point on the above post.

TYPICALLY - a border fence is "joint responsibility" and ownership. Since both parties benefit from it, both potentially owe equally cost of building and maintenance.

Big exception is when one party can PROVE no benefit. Then they don't owe...but unless your property has no foreseeable use as pasture, that's hard to prove - even if you don't presently use it for pasture.
    I’m not sure what state you’re in, but i’ve Seen many people coming to the town board to try and get out of their share of a line fence. Normally it is someone with a small acreage that borders a farmer, and they don’t want to pay.
    The township board has the authority to asses your property tax for the cost of the fence. People say that they will go to court, and the town board says “you will lose”.
    Honestly though most of the time the farmer doesn’t worry about 500 feet of fence that borders borders a non farmer .
    mark02tj, johncanfield and PJR832 like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to arlen For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (07-27-2019)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast