Wife suggested a new (larger) tractor...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Wife suggested a new (larger) tractor...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks

Cool Wife suggested a new (larger) tractor...

I started to type this yesterday however I got distracted by a few drinks and the JD website....

Rewind to yesterday evening around 7pm after sitting outside at a tequila restaurant/lounge, outside all to ourselves, under an umbrella, naturally three margaritas down for my wife an I.

Wife and I are discussing the load of logs (2 cords worth approx) sitting on the side of the house waiting to be cut along with the other logs (2-3 cords worth) around the perimeter of my brush line that I dropped and pushed off the grass. Realizing that cutting, splitting and transporting is different than what she remembers growing up at her parents place when he father had skid steer with a grapple along with 2 Kubota's with loaders and 3pt grapples. 5-10min into the conversation she confirms to herself that we either have to move all the logs closer to the location that we want to stack so it's a shorter walk out to the stack, or need to move the split chunks afterwards. She points out that moving the full size logs will tear up the grass and that a grapple "like dad's on the back" would make easier work than using a chain on the back of my x758. Also mentions that if we want to clear out some more of our 5acres for expanding the lawn, and a garden and a pool, and dragging timber that it's probably worth it. I point out that the grapple on a loader would be even nicer because then you can unstack the logs and cut them slightly elevated so the chunks can fall to the ground not requiring you to roll the logs by hand.

Then she starts firing off the questions, but the first and most important one is, "can a bigger tractor with a backhoe mow our lawn if we went bigger?" Mind you I'm trying to keep absolute composure and trying to prevent my smirk/ sh*t grin from appearing on my face . I explain to her how the x758 and one of the finest mowers deere makes and than the downside to a larger machine could risk the septic system if not buried deep enough and that in the spring when the lawn is soft i might sink a little more. She asks again if it can be done though and do others do it. I told her absolutely there's plenty of guys that do and have great results, with a flat lawn like ours it won't be bad either especially with no low hanging trees. It's at that point that I correct her because she continues to say a backhoe in place of "TLB" or "tractor with a back". I get the snarky you know what I mean.

Conversation goes onto can it mow easily, can we move logs easier, can you snowplow or snowblow with it, is it worth getting the backhoe, will it fit in the garage or do we use a carport to start, would you go up one size like mom's (1025R) or bigger, have you looked into bigger, if it's only double what the x758 costs us each month it's probably worth it...

- yes it can mow nearly as easy
    - yes we can add a EA grapple on the loader & a 3pt one for grabbing and dragging,
    - yes I can technically plow and likely re-use the CTA66" plow I have, plus I would rather go for a rear 3pt blower to keep the loader on for stacking
    - the backhoe is $8k = (gets look on her face ) you can buy its up front and finance or later and pay 3/4 the price in cash. With all the 2-3' rocks in the lawn and when I dug two trenches for gutters it will probably pay for itself within the first 20hrs of use.
    - yes it will fit in the garage (white lie not sure if it will with the backhoe on and definitely not with the ROPS up) if nothing else the shed i was going to build in the spring was going to be sized for a cabbed 3046R just in case
    - no, we'd skip over the 1025R (like mom's) and go to a 2032R, 2038R or 3033R.
    - yes dear, I looked into these about a year ago when we were preparing to buy this property and at the time it wasn't worth trading in the 2017 x758 because we owed more than it was worth despite have 30hrs on it. At this point it might be worth trading or selling privately. Keep the CTA 66" plow and sell the power flow triple bagger.

"Babe, go look at tractors and get back to me I think we can do it."

After leaving the restaurant we drove past our local dealer, I think she did it just to watch me break my neck as we drove by.

Needless to say after I finish doing payroll for all my guys this morning I will have to take a run to the JD dealer and start asking questions again. Last time I did this I was focusing on the 2038R and a few dealers suggested I look at the 3033R due to the stronger backhoe and lift capability. I think if we are in the right price range I'll have to have at least one machine if not two dropped off to see how it mows.

- mow 1-1.5 flat acres acres currently
    - clay mix of soil so doesn't drain well with heavy pours
    - remove snow from a 600' paved driveway and 10 parking spots at top
    - woods are also flat-is and some wet due to wetlands
    - mostly 6+ in trees in the woods, not much small brush so clearance isn't a huge factor
    - drag trees and cut logs for wood, stack wood on pallets to lift onto a deck
    - 7' garage door height (future shed will allow for more)
    - gutter drainage need to prevent dumping at base of foundation, running power to a future gate, removing rocks from lawn

THOUGHTS?
    Last edited by nastorino; 07-29-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    Gizmo2, OxPath, BigJim55 and 9 others like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    I don't think you asked for opinions but I'm going to give you mine anyway.
    Keep the x758 for mowing duties, removing mower decks and then putting them back on gets to be a PITA.
    DRobinson, arlen, rtgt and 7 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

nastorino(07-29-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Keep the x758 for mowing duties, removing mower decks and then putting them back on gets to be a PITA.
    fixed for you Gizmo ;)

I pop my deck of my x758 plenty and it's a pita since there's so little clearance between the deck and the draft arms and the PTO. It never goes on/off as quick as they show in the videos
    Gizmo2, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Thanks
    I'll offer you this:

I have the Gen 1 2032R. I also had 2 logging truck loads of firewood dropped off in my side yard this spring. So I spend much of the spring & summer cutting, splitting and stacking firewood and the tractor got a LOT of use in doing all that. (I have 8 cords cut & split with at least 6 more cord cut but waiting to be split.)

The 2032R is under-sized for the task IMO. Could I do it? Yes. I absolutely did do it. But it wasn't easy. The 2032R loader just doesn't have enough lift capacity to handle tree length (18'-20') logs. The new 2032R and the 2038R have, if I recall correctly, slightly more lift capacity but the increase is minimal (about 100lbs if memory serves...). If I were looking to buy again, it would be another excuse to buy a 3039R.

As far as your CTA66" blade goes.... You are using it in your X758? You make no mention of having a loader on your X758 in your signature so I'd assume you have the QuickTach hitch version. The QuickTach hitch is now only used on machines up through the 1-series. So it won't mount on any current 2- or 3-series Deere machines.

And I know people mow with their 2-series but I wouldn't do it. I think this choice largely depends on your yard. Pay attention the next time you're mowing. How much are you turning? If you are doing a lot of turning, stick with your x758. IME, digging up the lawn while turning is a bigger issue than driving over the septic tank. I have a hard time just moving things around my lawn with the 2032R without tearing up some grass. If you are mowing a lot of wide-open spaces and can drive in straight lines with wide turns, that may not be an issue. (I also have R4 tires and that may be a difference too!)
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

nastorino(07-29-2019)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I'll offer you this:

I have the Gen 1 2032R. I also had 2 logging truck loads of firewood dropped off in my side yard this spring. So I spend much of the spring & summer cutting, splitting and stacking firewood and the tractor got a LOT of use in doing all that. (I have 8 cords cut & split with at least 6 more cord cut but waiting to be split.)

The 2032R is under-sized for the task IMO. Could I do it? Yes. I absolutely did do it. But it wasn't easy. The 2032R loader just doesn't have enough lift capacity to handle tree length (18'-20') logs. The new 2032R and the 2038R have, if I recall correctly, slightly more lift capacity but the increase is minimal (about 100lbs if memory serves...). If I were looking to buy again, it would be another excuse to buy a 3039R.

As far as your CTA66" blade goes.... You are using it in your X758? You make no mention of having a loader on your X758 in your signature so I'd assume you have the QuickTach hitch version. The QuickTach hitch is now only used on machines up through the 1-series. So it won't mount on any current 2- or 3-series Deere machines.

And I know people mow with their 2-series but I wouldn't do it. I think this choice largely depends on your yard. Pay attention the next time you're mowing. How much are you turning? If you are doing a lot of turning, stick with your x758. IME, digging up the lawn while turning is a bigger issue than driving over the septic tank. I have a hard time just moving things around my lawn with the 2032R without tearing up some grass. If you are mowing a lot of wide-open spaces and can drive in straight lines with wide turns, that may not be an issue. (I also have R4 tires and that may be a difference too!)

Jim, that log truck idea just popped in my head last week when I had one go past me on the road. I wasn't sure if many guys did that if they weren't processing but I guess some do. I mentioned considering the 2032R however this time last year I really only looked at the 2038R since it had been revised ergonomically for operator comfort. The idea behind going to a 3033R was for a little more there's a whole lot more lift capability and breakout force with the backhoe.

Yes, I have a 66" CTA plow using a QH to mount the plow currently on my x758. Brain fart, I forgot the 2 series and larger go to a front 3pt and not the QH like the 1 series.

I have a rectangular lot with most of my lawn to the front and side so I cut in an L shape or on a 45deg to always keep the grass cut in opposite directions. If I was to go larger I believe I'd stick with the R3s since I'd be mowing. I'm not sure how they'd so in some of the wetter spots in my woods and think a set of R4s might be necessary. I almost won't know without trying.
    BigJim55 and jdforever like this.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Isn't life just great when you're married to such a good woman? You're a lucky man.

My first wife was the type that hung on to every dollar I made as if she had earned it. I remember when I purchased my first new Harley. Was that a sales job! Her response to the idea was I needed a more affordable hobby----such as playing softball. To which I responded, you're right honey. I'll check into joining the team at the little tavern across the way the business. There will be games every weekend and at least one weekday night. Not to mention practice nights and, of course away games in the motel. To be a good team player, I'll have to go with the guys to the tavern after each game and practice. Along with that will be buying a few rounds, so figure $100/night. Eventually, my luck will run out and I'll get a DUI on the way home. That 'll be another $5K in legal fees and mandatory risk insurance, that'll tally up to at least another $5K a year.

I don't smoke or drink at all, even at home, now. Are you sure this is going to more affordable?

It worked once, but never a second time. She traded me in a for younger model.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, mark02tj and 5 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Thanks
    The 2032 and 2038 operator stations are the same. The only difference in the large frame 2 series is under the hood, and you will find a varying degree of opinions on whether to get a turbo motor or not.

I mow my pastures with my 2032R, the drive over deck is very simple to install and remove; it weighs 400 pounds, and it's less work than taking the deck off of my 345.

I do wish I had the 3033R, but then when I'm mowing, I'm glad I don't have the extra weight. I also have the R4s, I mow in 2wd, and I have no issues with tearing up grass, but if I had known about the R3s when I bought my machine, I would have gotten those. Everyone Ive seen has claimed very good traction with them, and don't regret not getting R4s or R1s.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I'm going to agree with this, even though the auto-connect is quite simple and takes literally seconds. What bothers me constantly when I'm in the fields is having all that auto connect hardware down there in harms way. I've measured but can't recall the exact amount, but it sets about 6" lower than the underside of the tractor. Go bigger, 3R maybe and keep the X7 for mowing duties.

PS

Your wife is a keeper
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    I started to type this yesterday however I got distracted by a few drinks and the JD website....

Rewind to yesterday evening around 7pm after sitting outside at a tequila restaurant/lounge, outside all to ourselves, under an umbrella, naturally three margaritas down for my wife an I.

Wife and I are discussing the load of logs (2 cords worth approx) sitting on the side of the house waiting to be cut along with the other logs (2-3 cords worth) around the perimeter of my brush line that I dropped and pushed off the grass. Realizing that cutting, splitting and transporting is different than what she remembers growing up at her parents place when he father had skid steer with a grapple along with 2 Kubota's with loaders and 3pt grapples. 5-10min into the conversation she confirms to herself that we either have to move all the logs closer to the location that we want to stack so it's a shorter walk out to the stack, or need to move the split chunks afterwards. She points out that moving the full size logs will tear up the grass and that a grapple "like dad's on the back" would make easier work than using a chain on the back of my x758. Also mentions that if we want to clear out some more of our 5acres for expanding the lawn, and a garden and a pool, and dragging timber that it's probably worth it. I point out that the grapple on a loader would be even nicer because then you can unstack the logs and cut them slightly elevated so the chunks can fall to the ground not requiring you to roll the logs by hand.

Then she starts firing off the questions, but the first and most important one is, "can a bigger tractor with a backhoe mow our lawn if we went bigger?" Mind you I'm trying to keep absolute composure and trying to prevent my smirk/ sh*t grin from appearing on my face . I explain to her how the x758 and one of the finest mowers deere makes and than the downside to a larger machine could risk the septic system if not buried deep enough and that in the spring when the lawn is soft i might sink a little more. She asks again if it can be done though and do others do it. I told her absolutely there's plenty of guys that do and have great results, with a flat lawn like ours it won't be bad either especially with no low hanging trees. It's at that point that I correct her because she continues to say a backhoe in place of "TLB" or "tractor with a back". I get the snarky you know what I mean.

Conversation goes onto can it mow easily, can we move logs easier, can you snowplow or snowblow with it, is it worth getting the backhoe, will it fit in the garage or do we use a carport to start, would you go up one size like mom's (1025R) or bigger, have you looked into bigger, if it's only double what the x758 costs us each month it's probably worth it...

- yes it can mow nearly as easy
    - yes we can add a EA grapple on the loader & a 3pt one for grabbing and dragging,
    - yes I can technically plow and likely re-use the CTA66" plow I have, plus I would rather go for a rear 3pt blower to keep the loader on for stacking
    - the backhoe is $8k = (gets look on her face ) you can buy its up front and finance or later and pay 3/4 the price in cash. With all the 2-3' rocks in the lawn and when I dug two trenches for gutters it will probably pay for itself within the first 20hrs of use.
    - yes it will fit in the garage (white lie not sure if it will with the backhoe on and definitely not with the ROPS up) if nothing else the shed i was going to build in the spring was going to be sized for a cabbed 3046R just in case
    - no, we'd skip over the 1025R (like mom's) and go to a 2032R, 2038R or 3033R.
    - yes dear, I looked into these about a year ago when we were preparing to buy this property and at the time it wasn't worth trading in the 2017 x758 because we owed more than it was worth despite have 30hrs on it. At this point it might be worth trading or selling privately. Keep the CTA 66" plow and sell the power flow triple bagger.

"Babe, go look at tractors and get back to me I think we can do it."

After leaving the restaurant we drove past our local dealer, I think she did it just to watch me break my neck as we drove by.

Needless to say after I finish doing payroll for all my guys this morning I will have to take a run to the JD dealer and start asking questions again. Last time I did this I was focusing on the 2038R and a few dealers suggested I look at the 3033R due to the stronger backhoe and lift capability. I think if we are in the right price range I'll have to have at least one machine if not two dropped off to see how it mows.

- mow 1-1.5 flat acres acres currently
    - clay mix of soil so doesn't drain well with heavy pours
    - remove snow from a 600' paved driveway and 10 parking spots at top
    - woods are also flat-is and some wet due to wetlands
    - mostly 6+ in trees in the woods, not much small brush so clearance isn't a huge factor
    - drag trees and cut logs for wood, stack wood on pallets to lift onto a deck
    - 7' garage door height (future shed will allow for more)
    - gutter drainage need to prevent dumping at base of foundation, running power to a future gate, removing rocks from lawn

THOUGHTS?

amazing what 3 margaritas will do for you.............
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, mark02tj and 4 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    Jim, that log truck idea just popped in my head last week when I had one go past me on the road. I wasn't sure if many guys did that if they weren't processing but I guess some do.
    I have a woodlot I usually get my firewood from but this guy owns a tree cutting company and he was complaining that his wood yard was full and that he was having to pay to have hardwoods hauled off and dumped. He was paying $300/truckload to have it hauled away and I offered to cover fuel costs if he hauled it to me instead of paying someone else to come take it from him. So hauled up 2 loads of stuff that he had cut last summer and dumped it in my yard and I threw $200 at him. Everyone's a winner! If I had a firewood processor and the room, I'd go into the firewood business. I'm still confused how there is so much free wood around here but guys are selling it for $250+/cord.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast