need suggestions for grass seed

Thread: need suggestions for grass seed

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks

need suggestions for grass seed

I'm clearing out an old dog pen to use for my pet rabbits. Its been covered with leaves for a very long time, and is bare dirt underneath. I need a grass blend that does well in lots of shade (the pen is under trees), deals well with lots of moisture, and is something my bunnies can graze on, but doesn't require lots of upkeep (I MAY be able to get in there with a reel mower, but there's saplings that I've cut down, and roots from surrounding trees that will be in the way). What would my ideal blend be? I was thinking rye, tall fescue, and clover, but I don't know how well those three fit my criteria.. Thoughts?

Oh, and here is a link to a picture of the area.

preparing a summer home for my idjits. - Album on Imgur

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Thanks
    I have a combination of perennial rye and red fescue planted in similar circumstances. The rye comes in early and then the fescue pretty much takes over later in the summer. I get clover in the lawn but I didn't plant it. Came up all on it's own. The fescue doesn't like the amount of water I get in the spring so it won't really start growing well until July when things dry out pretty well. Some of that may also be due to the acidic soil I have though too.

Just as an FYI, 3 adult rabbits will keep an 8'x8' area pretty much clean right down to the dirt if you just let them forage and don't supplement with feed. Not sure how many rabbits and how big of an area you have but mowing may end up being the least of your concerns.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions.. Our town is called Springwater for a reason, unfortunately.. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Just as an FYI, 3 adult rabbits will keep an 8'x8' area pretty much clean right down to the dirt if you just let them forage and don't supplement with feed. Not sure how many rabbits and how big of an area you have but mowing may end up being the least of your concerns.
    There are two adult lionheads, and they will get pellets, hay, and assorted veggies, as well as being able to munch on grass. I haven't measured the space yet, but its probably at least 150sqft all told.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    I dunno'.........it doesn't look too promising a place to grow any grass.
    Especially that far north, with the spring and summer season so short.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-17-2015 @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks
    I think I would have to go with ryegrass.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements