Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Fence posts - Cement/Concrete or foam stuff

1. Top | #21
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
    Electric dosen't stop them?
    You could also do that, depends on you situation.
    etcallhome likes this.
    -J.R.
    5065E MFWD
    D140 Lawn Mower / R1 rear tires / Ribs front

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #22

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia_Johndeere View Post
    You could also do that, depends on you situation.
    I've had horses of my neighbors on one of my pastures for years and they have never damaged the ancient old barb wire fences. Of course these were Hawaiian horses if that makes a difference.
    Of course the gate is pretty new but the rest of the fences areancient for the most part
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ihortsers at the gate MG_1475.jpg  
    Last edited by bfloyd4445; 08-11-2019 at 11:50 PM.

4. Top | #23
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
    I've had horses of my neighbors on one of my pastures for years and they have never damaged the ancient old barb wire fences. Of course these were Hawaiian horses if that makes a difference.
    Of course the gate is pretty new but the rest of the fences areancient for the most part
    I don't think in his situation barbwire is going to work for goats, He's going to have to use horse fencing or goat fencing. A horse will lean their neck over that fence if there is no hot wire or board at the top to stop them. Ive personally have never had horses in an area with barbwire, only horse fencing, but I do have cattle with barbwire and they usually only try to poke their heads through the strands if you don't have fence stays.
    -J.R.
    5065E MFWD

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #24
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 01:56 PM
    Thanks
    I don't think in his situation barbwire is going to work for goats, He's going to have to use horse fencing or goat fencing. A horse will lean their neck over that fence if there is no hot wire or board at the top to stop them. Ive personally have never had horses in an area with barbwire, only horse fencing, but I do have cattle with barbwire and they usually only try to poke their heads through the strands if you don't have fence stays.
    I don't know what "horse fencing" is...
    My take, you want to keep an animal in, use electric fence.
    If they still get out, you need more strands, a ground wire, or a better fencer.

Neighbor back home even uses electric for his bison. Short of bison on the run (which nothing will stop) he hasn't had an issue. Granted, I believe he has 7 strands. 2 are grounds wires, 5 hot.

As for the posts, yeah, tamp dirt or just push them in.

We don't have a pounder, but just pushed them in with the loader bucket. Generally cut a wedge or point on the end.
    If the ground is too hard to just push them in, try a small auger, like a 3" or something as a "pilot".
    Last edited by Cutty72; 08-13-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

7. Top | #25

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Thanks
    I was planning on using the braided electric fence for the fencing itself on one pasture.

The other would be probably 4x4 or 2x4 hardware cloth with electric on the inside.
    Charleston, SC
    4044R

8. Top | #26

Last Online
    Thanks
    yes, goats require a different type of fence. In my case my fences were deep in blackberry and respected by all except deer. This year we had a storm that made a good portion of the county appear like it was a hurricane disaster area and my fences because of the blackberries were flattened. I'm in the process of remaking most of them.
    Georgia_Johndeere likes this.

9. Top | #27
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
    I don't know what "horse fencing" is...
    My take, you want to keep an animal in, use electric fence.
    If they still get out, you need more strands, a ground wire, or a better fencer.

Neighbor back home even uses electric for his bison. Short of bison on the run (which nothing will stop) he hasn't had an issue. Granted, I believe he has 7 strands. 2 are grounds wires, 5 hot.

As for the posts, yeah, tamp dirt or just push them in.

We don't have a pounder, but just pushed them in with the loader bucket. Generally cut a wedge or point on the end.
    If the ground is too hard to just push them in, try a small auger, like a 3" or something as a "pilot".
    Horse fencing is a 2:4 fencing, for sheep's and horses. The vertical stay spacing is 2" and the horizontal spacing is 4". The idea is that goats can't get through, the horse hoofs will not get caught and they can't climb the fence. That's what horse fencing is. Electric is not the end all be all, it takes work to make sure works 365 when you have miles of it. I have both styles of fence. Both have there pros and cons. I would think you would want both in the case of horses.
    Treefarmer and bfloyd4445 like this.
    -J.R.
    5065E MFWD

10. Top | #28
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
    I was planning on using the braided electric fence for the fencing itself on one pasture.

The other would be probably 4x4 or 2x4 hardware cloth with electric on the inside.
    Hardware cloth is essentially welded wire fence, which you can get for a decent price from a farm and ranch supply. Goats will stretch that out testing the fence.
    Which ever way you go put in fencing on the inside.
    bfloyd4445 likes this.
    -J.R.
    5065E MFWD

11. Top | #29
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 01:56 PM
    Thanks
    Horse fencing is a 2:4 fencing, for sheep's and horses. The vertical stay spacing is 2" and the horizontal spacing is 4". The idea is that goats can't get through, the horse hoofs will not get caught and they can't climb the fence. That's what horse fencing is. Electric is not the end all be all, it takes work to make sure works 365 when you have miles of it. I have both styles of fence. Both have there pros and cons. I would think you would want both in the case of horses.
    Growing up our cattle would walk through a brand new 4 string barb wire if they wanted what was on the other side. They were just a holes like that.
    Put a hot wire on the top, no worries.
    We converted everything to elec. 95% is 2 hot wires with a middle ground, and that's mostly to keep the calves from going between the hot wires.
    As long as you keep springs in it to help when deer hit it, check the insulators, and spend the money on a quality fencer, we haven't had issues. YMMV

As for the horse fencing, no one around here uses that for horses. Just goats and sheep.
    Horses get elec wire or more often the electric "ribbon" or cloth stuff.
    Last edited by Cutty72; 08-14-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    bfloyd4445 likes this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

12. Top | #30

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hardware cloth is essentially welded wire fence, which you can get for a decent price from a farm and ranch supply. Goats will stretch that out testing the fence.
    Which ever way you go put in fencing on the inside.
    kinda like what i do, I use barbwire then add a four foot high fence inside depending upon what my use for that pasture is gonna be, Its often not necessary to use the expensive inside fence all around but it is in the areas they show an interest in breaching, Animals are unpredictable

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast