Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Water Management Around Barn

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks

Water Management Around Barn

So I bought this place last year, and here's the current state of the "barn":

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428539844340.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	680.5 KB 
ID:	43452

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428539869489.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	747.1 KB 
ID:	43453

You can see there's already a little fenced in paddock on the left, so I could add a barn door on that side no problem. No animals yet, but wanting maybe a mini horse or couple mini donkeys and or some goats.

The issue is with the right side. Right now there's bare dirt, and after 5ft away from barn side, it goes up an incline. You can see it gets very wet there, obviously.

Even if there's grass growing all the way up to barn, over time animals going in and out would kill the grass and muck it up.

What the heck do I do?!
    JD 1026r

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
    So I bought this place last year, and here's the current state of the "barn":

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428539844340.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	680.5 KB 
ID:	43452

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428539869489.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	747.1 KB 
ID:	43453

You can see there's already a little fenced in paddock on the left, so I could add a barn door on that side no problem. No animals yet, but wanting maybe a mini horse or couple mini donkeys and or some goats.

The issue is with the right side. Right now there's bare dirt, and after 5ft away from barn side, it goes up an incline. You can see it gets very wet there, obviously.

Even if there's grass growing all the way up to barn, over time animals going in and out would kill the grass and muck it up.

What the heck do I do?!
    It doesn't look too bad. What ever you do, it looks like it would be minor. It looks like it drains toward the driveway. Is that accurate? You could slope it a little better and smooth it out to help it out. Would a culvert get it going under the driveway and draining to the left?
    Last edited by arlen; 04-08-2015 at 09:29 PM.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks
    I am watching this with interest, as we have a very similar problem. Except where your barn is, we have an outdoor, sanded riding arena. The snowmelt fills our corresponding low area and spills into the arena. Our low area is part of our "winter paddock", getting lots of horse action (5 horses), and even though the snow has melted, there is still standing water there.

Of course our outdoor arena was put in in late summer when all was good and dry.

So like you, I'm wondering what's best... Grading, drainage, weeping tiles, etc??

== Grizzler
    Acreage newbie on 120 acres of rolling Alberta prairie.
    5065E "Bullfrog" Cab, FEL, snowplow, bale spears, quick-hitch, bucket, 72" Piranha toothbar, pallet forks
    1025R "Tadpole" FEL, MMM, iMatch, tiller, rake, ballast box, backhoe (+BXpanded goodies), roughcutter, land plane, Kenny's Bolt-On hooks/diff-lock pedal/ext iMatch hook, Piranha tooth bar, Psrumor's better seat springs, Artillian forks/front-hoe/front i-Match, LED lights, RIO disable, fire extinguisher, Heavy Hitch
    Z950R Tweels

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    I would agree with Arlen. It looks like you have a ditch to the left of the driveway. A culvert under the driveway and maybe a little grading to get all the water headed towards it.

You could also tile it...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    --DeereNC

2025R, 62D MMM, H130 FEL, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks, Bxpanded Tooth Bar, more to come...
    Implements: Woods TS52 tiller

Stihl MS261C worked over by Mastermind Work Saws, FS45C
    Dolmar PS3410TH
    Redmax EBZ8500RH

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    You are correct that under the drive to the barn is a metal culvert. Before yesterday it just had grass, but you can see I dug a trench on the one side that goes towards a creek, I plan on putting corrugated pipe in it, so water going under the drive will not make a creek through the grass.

Everything to the right in the picture has an uphill grade. So water comes from the yard strait right, along side of where pasture will be, but then also the currently dirt valley next to barn.

So you guys are thinking that if I had some good grass growing there, its already draining enough I wouldn't have to worry about it?

I feel like if I eventually had larger animals going in and out over there, it would become a mud pit still though.

I feel I can't really do any grading, because the entire barn is below the entire pasture height level... there's going to be a valley or flat spot next to barn no matter what, right?
    JD 1026r

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    How would I tile it with it also being part of a future pasture, and right by barn?
    JD 1026r

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    You are correct that under the drive to the barn is a metal culvert. Before yesterday it just had grass, but you can see I dug a trench on the one side that goes towards a creek, I plan on putting corrugated pipe in it, so water going under the drive will not make a creek through the grass.

Everything to the right in the picture has an uphill grade. So water comes from the yard strait right, along side of where pasture will be, but then also the currently dirt valley next to barn.

So you guys are thinking that if I had some good grass growing there, its already draining enough I wouldn't have to worry about it?

I feel like if I eventually had larger animals going in and out over there, it would become a mud pit still though.

I feel I can't really do any grading, because the entire barn is below the entire pasture height level... there's going to be a valley or flat spot next to barn no matter what, right?
    I think you would want to keep bigger animals off of that spot when wet, because they put lots of little pockets in the ground that holds water, then they muck it all up.

If it was smoothed out, grass growing and draining away from the barn, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks
    Yes and no. Yes, you'd end up with flat areas and a valley near the barn but I think if it were me I'd try to grade things out so that the water was concentrated into a smaller area. Right now, you've got standing water covering a 20' wide dirt patch.

If you sloped away from the barn for 8' or so and then back up with a continuous slope to the top of the little knoll you'd have a valley at the bottom that all of the water would run to. Once seeded, your "mud spot" would only be a 2' wide strip at the very bottom of the valley. Then if you wanted to get really happy you could trench up that valley, put in drain pipe and drain it all into your culvert.

But the whole idea would be to grade the area to get all that standing water to move somewhere else.

All of that said, if you're going to run animals in that area, just give up on the idea of grass. If you look at pics of almost any animal barn you'll see that there is very little grass left anywhere that the animals are allowed to run. Whatever they don't eat, they'll stomp to death.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    How would I tile it with it also being part of a future pasture, and right by barn?
    Jim stayed exactly what I was thinking with the grading. With tiling, you bury perforated pipe in the ground and that will carry away excess moisture. You can still plant grass over top of it. The best solution would be a combination of both.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    ColonyPark likes this.
    --DeereNC

2025R, 62D MMM, H130 FEL, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks, Bxpanded Tooth Bar, more to come...
    Implements: Woods TS52 tiller

Stihl MS261C worked over by Mastermind Work Saws, FS45C
    Dolmar PS3410TH
    Redmax EBZ8500RH

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:15 AM
    Thanks
    I would put rain gutters on the shed and connect the down spout to some type of tile and run a couple lines of tile to take care of the water coming from the hill.

Doug
    ColonyPark likes this.
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower