Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Driveway gate help

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts

Driveway gate help

This may be kind of long but I need to explain what I want to do and why I canít really do it in a conventional way.

Iíve wanted a driveway gate for years. Itís time to start working on it.

I donít necessarily need a strong gate to keep people out in a remote location - this is for my home and to stop people from coming down my driveway. We are home 90% of the time but can not see the end of the driveway.

My plan so far is to use a cattle gate from Tractor Supply like this -

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	6BB15598-0042-45B2-B221-F1C7D891E7B0.jpeg†
Views:	199†
Size:	16.4 KB†
ID:	698352

It weighs around 70# for the 16í length. My plan is to have an automatic opener like a Mule which would have wireless remote transmitters. It would have to be battery powered with a solar panel to charge the battery.

Now my issue - the posts. This part of my driveway is compromised of a ramp built entirely out of stone/rock. Here is a pic of the ramp leading up to the road.

Name:	7F8F6AAD-647B-42F9-AA0B-B3236746B3FA.jpeg†
Views:	27†
Size:	2.52 MB†
ID:	698356

Name:	69EA833A-1F58-44DB-80E3-394BE1E16560.jpeg†
Size:	2.66 MB†
ID:	698358

And closer pics of the stone itself.

Name:	E30BF1D2-E56F-46CF-A61B-3D519A750A6C.jpeg†
Size:	2.67 MB†
ID:	698360

Name:	9E6CCC32-4457-4F37-ABE9-FBA78E26DD91.jpeg†
Views:	26†
Size:	2.87 MB†
ID:	698362

And the end of the driveway where I want the gate - right where it starts to widen out at the end.

Name:	2186AA1C-CF73-4A1F-A666-4886FCE85B77.jpeg†
Size:	2.65 MB†
ID:	698364

Name:	77D3A4E4-FEA1-4D52-942F-1E87A1CE29CA.jpeg†
Size:	2.30 MB†
ID:	698366

OK. Back 20 years ago I would have taken my digging bar, post hole digger (manual kind), pick, and shovel up there and started hacking away at it. Even so it is going to be about impossible to dig 36Ē-40Ē holes for posts in that rock. Now - there is no way I would attempt it.

I need some ideas on how to install posts that will hold this gate.

óóóóóóó-

Iíve been thinking about this for a long time. Actually all I need as I said is a barrier as security is not the issue. Just a gate like you see in some parking lots would do and would not need posts sunk to work. But these things are expensive!

Name:	14CBA369-1568-468A-BE0A-AE00E9BEF474.jpeg†
Views:	26†
Size:	296.9 KB†
ID:	698368
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Iím not sure of how to install the posts in the rock, but Iíd like to make one tiny suggestion. Donít place the gate right up against the road. Leave yourself enough room to pull up to the gate off the road in case your automatic opener doesnít work. It could create a nasty mess if you have to park in the road to open your gate.

Most gates like that you see around here are set back a ways off the road even if a continuing fence is along the ditch and roadway. I donít see the need for you to have a fence, but just wanted to make sure you thought that through.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, bhill and 7 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2†(08-08-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 07:06 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Iím not sure of how to install the posts in the rock, but Iíd like to make one tiny suggestion. Donít place the gate right up against the road. Leave yourself enough room to pull up to the gate off the road in case your automatic opener doesnít work. It could create a nasty mess if you have to park in the road to open your gate.

Most gates like that you see around here are set back a ways off the road even if a continuing fence is along the ditch and roadway. I donít see the need for you to have a fence, but just wanted to make sure you thought that through.

And it is safer for someone who is waiting for you to open the gate for them

Are you adding video and a door-gate bell?
    Oscar Leroy and Toughsox like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:18 AM
    Thanks
    I'd rent a gas engine powered post hole digger. Dig 2 holes, 1 for the hinges, 1 for the gate to close against. Drop poles in hole, add a bag or 2 of Sacrete, top with stone/gravel. Add a a couple of guy-wires to hinge side. I'd also add a roller on the swinging end. This won't contact the ground when you open gate, but it'll prevent possible sagging when gate is closed.

Shouldn't be too much expense and about 3-4 weeks...considering concrete drying time...to complete. Bob
    Oscar Leroy and Toughsox like this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post

I forgot to mention - the gate will be put where the narrow part of the driveway starts. Thatís about 10í-12í from the road. I already have to leave space when I use the sawhorse for the UPS guy to pull off and put my packages in the drop box.

Name:	080972A9-1E27-45F2-A785-18D17517D687.jpeg†
Views:	23†
Size:	2.30 MB†
ID:	698378

Iíll go take another pic with the sawhorse where the gate will go to show it better. And Iíll measure. I know itís hard to tell from this pic.
    Oscar Leroy likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Thanks
    How wide is your driveway where the gate will be installed?

You mentioned the gate is 16' wide. Will the 16' put you on the side slope of the driveway, at the edge of the driveway or 3' - 4' in from the edge of the driveway?

i have never installed a gate like this, but just general knowledge, it will take a pretty good sized footer to hold the post in position. The footer hole should be deep enough and large enough to enable pouring a footer that is heavy enough to support the leverage of the gate, drainage stone below the footer and around the footer will be key to alleviate heaving.

According to the TSC website, the gate weighs 60 lb. so the leverage will be fairly high.

Using my flagpole as an example, I dug the footer hole with my 1025R backhoe, formed the top of the footer with lumber, then poured the hole full of concrete, about 1 1/4 yard (one yard of concrete weighs 4000 lb.).

That said, if the post will be 3' - 4' in from the edge, to dig the hole in your material, I would just dig to depth and sufficient size with a backhoe. Yes the hole will end up bring larger than needed but, then form the footer using sono-tube or lumber to the size you need. After pouring the footer, then back fill and compact with drainage stone, number 2B stone would work.

Generally, post length for a gate is 1/3 of the length out of the ground needs to be below grade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170704_165505.jpg 20170716_144055.jpg 20170729_133038.jpg
    Toughsox likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

Name:	02B240F1-E0E5-4D82-A820-DACB22EF593A.jpeg†
Views:	151†
Size:	2.53 MB†
ID:	698392

The red line depicts the edge of the road - you can barely see the white line there. There is no shoulder whatsoever on this road. The paved part beyond the red line is my driveway apron which my buddies at PennDOT installed when they had too much hot mix when then installed the cross drain.

From the edge of the road to the sawhorse (proposed gate site) is 20í. The width of the driveway between the edge of the road and the gate is 23í. Our UPS driver with the standard size truck with duals has no problem pulling all the way off the road parallel to the road.

I donít really want enough room between the edge of the road and the gate so someone can pull straight toward it off the road. What always happens is - even without a gate - people from not in the area will pull in with a pickup, then try to back up to turn around. There is more of a grade than the pics show. Then I have ruts to fix from the pickups in rear wheel drive spinning when they back up.

As I said there is plenty of room to pull off parallel to the road if coming from the right. I donít care if someone canít pull in from the left.....

Ray - no backhoe. This is a low budget operation without power equipment. I know it will take a considerable post to hang a 60#-70# gate but thought a 6x6 wood or 4Ē round steel lost sunk 36Ē-40Ē and set in concrete would be enough. If need be I can attach a stabilizing guy wire or two that would reach down to the bottom of the ramp. I could sink a couple pieces of rebar at the bottom in the rock as stakes.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Going over your post again Ray it sounds like I might be better off hiring a contractor to do this. That is if I can find one around here.....and can afford it....
    mjncad, bvbearcat and Toughsox like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    I also would suggest settings the gate back closer to the residence. If you or someone is pulling a trailer, it would best to drive off the main roadway.

From your last photo look at the first break of sunlight from the shadow.

In this location you appear to have ample roadway to accommodate a truck and trailer and there is a natural pinch point of trees to stop anyone who may want to drive around your gate.

Although this may not be a concern to you, it gives the unwantedís no choice of circumventing your gate.

When installing the gate you will need to dig holes for a latch post, hinge post and a support post. These post should be no less than 6-8 inches in width in order to support your gate.

You may also want to consider using a support cable from the latch end of the gate to the top of the hinge post. This will prevent any sagging and will greatly aide in opening the gate.

The hinge post and support post should be around four feet or so apart, then attach a brace pole between the top third of the hinge and support posts. This will look like an H.

Then you would use a heavy bracing wire in an X patten between the top and hinge post to the bottom of the opposing side on the support post and once again from the top support post to the bottom of the opposing hinge post.

Make sure the top of the wire is looped above the brace on either side to keep tension on the brace. Use a tensioning ratchet that is used on electric fence to keep the wire taught.

There are a gazillion videos on YouTube to help you with the project. Please post updates on your progress!!
    Toughsox likes this.
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Rather than a gate that swings, why not first "neck" down the opening to only 8 feet wide with two fences, and a sign.

A restricted width will deter people from entering almost as much as a closed gate,, especially if the right sign is added,,

First a friendly reminder,,

"Residents, and guests ONLY"

Then, down the drive a ways, a little more stern !

"Nothing Beyond This Point Is Worth Your LIFE!!"

Position the entrance so that it is slightly difficult to align your vehicle with the opening,, on both sides,,
    kind of a chicane,,,

People do not want to enter a trap any more than a mouse,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

Dr Maphesto†(08-04-2019)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast