• 1 Post By nastorino
  • 1 Post By RadarDon

Thread: Need a couple budget lawn sprinklers

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:40 AM
    Thanks

Need a couple budget lawn sprinklers

I spent way too much on seed and peat moss planting grass, and my ghetto sprinklers are leaking and pooling water. I need a couple sprinklers that will cover 3000 sq ft and not swamp it out in spots. I currently use these for a week now Ace Plastic Spike Base Impulse Sprinkler - Ace Hardware
    and they leak, need coaxing to rotate, sloppy spray and are just not behaving well. I went cheap because Iím only using them for a couple weeks and can get more later for other projects, but frankly they suck. I was just going to go out and buy some better quality ones, but donít want to be dissapointed if they do the same thing. So I figured Iíd ask the guruís here what to use. Iím willing to spend a couple extra dollars, maybe upwards of 60 bucks, only need to cover 3000 square feet, not leak, start on their own when I turn on the spigot, and have better spray patterns. Any advice helps. Thanks in advance guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 04:42 AM
    Thanks
    I use the tripod sprinklers from bigsprinkler.com, but I think they were closer to 80 bucks
    Kbar likes this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Satch For This Useful Post:

Kbar†(08-06-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:45 AM
    Thanks
    These work great and are cheap. Get a couple and they will do a great job.
    Stick with an all metal, adjustable.

Amazon.com : Orbit 58019N Zine Impact Sprinkler with Zinc Flow-Thru Spike : Automatic Lawn Sprinkler Heads : Gateway
    Kbar likes this.
    3025e 60" bucket with parking stand kit, Ken's hooks, quick hitch, finish mower, brush hog, tiller, back blade, scoop, forks, Edge Tamers, weight bracket w/ trailer mover
    Z915B
    GT 245
    X500
    Bolens MTD GTH garden tractor (Dad's old machine)
    20' double axle trailer
    Previous - 2305, 2025R, Z720A, couple other zero turns

6. The Following User Says Thank You to steveontheridge2 For This Useful Post:

Kbar†(08-06-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks

9. Top | #5
    tj1
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    That is exactly what I have in my garden, however if you want to link multiple units together like you can with the ground mounted impulse sprinklers you would need a y or t connector.. They do run in a full circle easily and they are also adjustable for coverage, spray and height.. At best with full water pressure around 50-75 foot diameter circle.. I did buy mine at lowes three years ago.
    Kbar likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tj1 For This Useful Post:

Kbar†(08-06-2019)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I will be dedicating one hose and spigot per sprinkler so donít need the flow through. I assumed going all metal will behave better.

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Settled on this one. Lowe’s 40 bucks each

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	8B6CEAFF-8C6C-4E4D-9995-8266D3FFA29A.jpeg†
Views:	7†
Size:	1.06 MB†
ID:	698988

And wouldn’t you know it’s supposed to rain all weekend...guess I’ll be tinkering with them Monday.
    Herminator likes this.

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks
    I love big sprinkler sprinklers. I purchased the rotating style one due to poor waterflow off my well. I would highly recommend them to anyone whether you're running one off a garden hose or off a trash pump.
    Kbar likes this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    I've tried an assortment of sprinklers for my gardens. I still have some that are pretty old but work fine. The biggest limitation I have at the moment is the spigots on the house. My old house didn't have any external spigots so I added some. All I could find easily were the 1/4 turn and have had nothing but problems with them. The plastic in 3 of them broke and I was glad I had installed shutoffs for each. I had to hunt but finally found some old-style with multi-turn and washers. I have one new one installed and need the right shaped TUITs to do the rest. My to-do list runs into volumes.

I opened up the broken ones and discovered why my sprinklers didn't work well with them. The full open water path was a small quarter circle, about 1/4 of the inner pipe diameter, and all plastic. One sprinkler would work but not up to spec, and if I chained two together neither would even turn. They would just dribble. Regardless of the pressure, and I had 90psi at the time, there was just not enough flow.

I have one like the Lowe's that I got at Tractor Supply. You should be happy with that one.

One last tip. When you go for couplers, splittlers or inline shutoffs look inside to check the full open diameter. Some of them are not full flow.
    Last edited by RadarDon; 08-13-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    Kbar likes this.
    2032R, 220R FEL, 270B Backhoe, RT1157 Tiller, 59" 2000 Snow Blower, LR 2072 Rake, OTC Cab, CL Subsoiler, 3pt Tow Hitch, UA 42" Forks, IMatch with Kenny's Hook, Kenny's Bolt-On Hooks

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RadarDon For This Useful Post:

Kbar†(08-13-2019)

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarDon View Post
    I've tried an assortment of sprinklers for my gardens. I still have some that are pretty old but work fine. The biggest limitation I have at the moment is the spigots on the house. My old house didn't have any external spigots so I added some. All I could find easily were the 1/4 turn and have had nothing but problems with them. The plastic in 3 of them broke and I was glad I had installed shutoffs for each. I had to hunt but finally found some old-style with multi-turn and washers. I have one new one installed and need the right shaped TUITs to do the rest. My to-do list runs into volumes.

I opened up the broken ones and discovered why my sprinklers didn't work well with them. The full open water path was a small quarter circle, about 1/4 of the inner pipe diameter, and all plastic. One sprinkler would work but not up to spec, and if I chained two together neither would even turn. They would just dribble. Regardless of the pressure, and I had 90psi at the time, there was just not enough flow.

I have one like the Lowe's that I got at Tractor Supply. You should be happy with that one.

One last tip. When you go for couplers, splittlers or inline shutoffs look inside to check the full open diameter. Some of them are not full flow.
    I so know what your talking about. When I built my house, the plumbing inspector made my plumber put these ďwall hydrantsĒ as my outdoor spigots for code and they are the quarter turn with freeze, and back flow protection. Not to mention the Pecks line is smaller than I wanted. Iíve been griping about my outside water pressure since I moved in. Shower blasts me, and sink faucets I only use half. The cheap sprinklers I had needed one hose dedicated to each and I couldnít daisy chain them because of pressure. The new on works great. Itís getting plenty of coverage, and less puddling. I do however need to kickstart the thing spinning every time, but itís better than standing on my front lawn at 4:30 every morning for 20 minutes with a hose

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements