Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Starting your child with lawn mowing

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Thanks

Starting your child with lawn mowing

I'm looking for some sage advice from those that have been there, done this before. My nine, almost ten year old daughter has indicated a significant amount of interest in starting to help mow the lawn. I think she's big enough, mature enough, and takes guidance well enough that I'm ready to let her start. She's actually mowed twice already, and did an acceptable job. Needs to slow down a bit, but I digress.

My primary question is this: What would you put your daughter on to mow with if you had the choice: Husqvarna ZTR vs JD 1025R with 60" MMM vs. John Deere garden tractor (GT 235 or similar)?

I'm currently mowing 2.3 flat acres with many trees and obstacles with a Husqvarna ZTR. I'm in the process of purchasing the 2 acres next door, which is wide open and flat. The ZTR is already 10 years old, and going from 2 to 4+ acres is probaby going to wear it out in a hurry. The logical decision is to buy a nice ZTR, but I'm hesitant to because of the weight. I live in a very low lying, swampy area, and am afraid that the 1500 lb commercial ZTR will tear the place up. Sometimes my 700 lb Husky tears up the place in the spring and fall. It's not unusual to have standing water for weeks on end. I'd rather not have to contribute to the "where did you stick your ZTR today" thread!

I'm pretty sure I want to add a deck to my 1025, simply for summer mowing when the ground is hard, and I want to be able to mow at 3.5-4 inch height. The current ztr will only cut at 2.75 max, and the yard becomes very dry very quickly at that height. Use the ztr when it's wet ground and around the obstacles, and use the 1025 during the summer and in the wide open areas.

Thoughts?
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks
    Regarding your child mowing, if it were me, I'd start her on the garden tractor. Slower and easier to control than the ZTR, smaller than the SCUT. When she masters that, I'd move her to the ZTR next. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cottrillj; 08-11-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    2012 1023E, 60d MMM, H120 Loader

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Thanks
    If I had to choose —— Garden tractor, but, regardless of the machine, (after you have drilled her with all the safety aspects)
    Thee most important first step is to just let them ride/drive the machine for several hours without using the mower. Remove the deck if you think they may not mind you and try to engage the blades, just to see what happens.

Make it fun, set up a “gas station”, and whatever else may keep the interest. There’s a good amount of teaching just the basics of what all the pedals, levers and buttons are for, how to check the oil & fuel, proper starting and shut down, etc.

Watch them operate and tell them 500 jillion times not to ever get off the seat with the engine running.

ONLY YOU should determine at what stage of the learning process YOUR CHILD is ready to operate a machine capable of serious injury or death.

Good luck and have fun with it !
    2014 1025R, 120R loader

"ain't too smart, but I'm always thinkin"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:48 PM
    Thanks
    1. garden tractor(that is how I started out my son)
    2. 1025R
    3. ZTR (definitely last)

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    2. 1025R
    3. ZTR (definitely last)

Dave
    A lot of good advice above. I would go with this order but will say kids pick up the ZTR’s quick, maybe because of better reflex’s. I always had a bad habit of not shutting the motor off when I would get off it. Training the boys made it so I would always shut off the motor when I would hop off although it killed me to do that with the air cooled engines. Engines are cheaper than legs though. As they grew up they were trusted to idle it down and get off.

I don’t think the speed people mow at changes. My dad mows slow, my oldest started mowing slow and still does. Me and my youngest have always mowed fast.

ZTR= good skid loader training
    DRobinson, OxPath, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    2. 1025R
    3. ZTR (definitely last)

Dave
    Our son drove an old Toro lawn tractor all over the place starting at about 6 years old. He didn’t mow with it, just drove it around “farming” and pulling a cart. He became very proficient at backing up that cart, he could pretty much parallel park it! He then moved on to a JD185 he got from a neighbor. It was faster and more powerful. Plus it was GREEN!
    We let him start mowing when he was probably 9. We had him mow a large rectangular part of the yard with no obstacles. He would start at the outside and circle his way to the center. It looked terrible but he was learning in a safe environment. Fast forward four years to today and he mows the whole yard (probably about 1.5 acres). This year he became very concerned with keeping straight lines and laying down nice stripes, alternating direction by 45* each mowing. I know my wife and I really appreciate his work! And it looks really nice when he’s done
    rtgt, OxPath, mark02tj and 2 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB98 View Post
    Our son drove an old Toro lawn tractor all over the place starting at about 6 years old. He didn’t mow with it, just drove it around “farming” and pulling a cart. He became very proficient at backing up that cart, he could pretty much parallel park it! He then moved on to a JD185 he got from a neighbor. It was faster and more powerful. Plus it was GREEN!
    We let him start mowing when he was probably 9. We had him mow a large rectangular part of the yard with no obstacles. He would start at the outside and circle his way to the center. It looked terrible but he was learning in a safe environment. Fast forward four years to today and he mows the whole yard (probably about 1.5 acres). This year he became very concerned with keeping straight lines and laying down nice stripes, alternating direction by 45* each mowing. I know my wife and I really appreciate his work! And it looks really nice when he’s done

I think that is the best way if you start early. My boys was a craftsman rear engine rider and a number 7 JD wagon. I had to weld a extension on the clutch/brake pedal but it got them used to clutching and shifting. That poor rider did more work and pulled more dirt than it should have ever been asked too.
    OxPath, mark02tj, MTB98 and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB98 View Post
    Our son drove an old Toro lawn tractor all over the place starting at about 6 years old. He didn’t mow with it, just drove it around “farming” and pulling a cart.
    Great idea.
    That's the way I started -- farm tractor with trailer in a two acre open field. I not only learned about power and maneuvering, but when I accidentally shifted into "road" gear, no trees or equipment were harmed.
    Last edited by RodW; 08-12-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Thanks
    2. 1025R
    3. ZTR (definitely last)

Dave
    This would be my order as well.

Sure it would take a long time to mow with the GT but that is more seat time learning the tool.

One of the other concerns though is the safeties. My kids are 11 and 13. My 13 year old could operate either the X585 or Z950R as she is big enough physically. I don't think my 11 year old could. Not without doing some tweaks such as disconnecting the seat safety. If they are small enough or light enough where every time they hit a bump it shuts off the PTO or tractor it is going to be a PITA. When she was 9 or 10 she wasn't big enough either to operate it for this reason. It seems like over the last year she has shot up more. That growth spirt hasn't hit my son yet.

Neither of them have ever operated my ZTR. They have operated the X585 but I don't use that for mowing anymore. I have let them pull a trailer around or some very light FEL work. I am talking moving some bigger sticks and that is it. No ground engagement work, turning the compost pile. I would consider letting the older one use the x585 for mowing but in all honesty, I never get to use my Z950R either. My father in law is around all summer in their 5th wheel in the back yard so he always cuts the grass while I am at work. So the only seat time I see is when I am doing leaves in the fall and some spring cleanup.
    Herminator likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Thanks
    Just my two cents, but the garden tractor will be easier, or the 1025 if you dont want a GT.
    Slower, easier to get the hang of. I know here, my girls wont even consider the Exmark because to them it looks more intimidating to operate.
    They have both used the 318. The oldest has used the 318 to mow, and used the 2025.

A couple other points to ponder.
    Let them use the tractor for chores, yard cleanup etc without mowing. Once they show an aptitude for using it, then slowly explain the mowing process, dangers, etc.
    Someone above mentioned removing the deck if you think they might try it against your wishes. If this is a concern, they are NOT ready.
    The last one, and one Im hoping helps me a bit in the next year or so, is that driving a GT or SCUT, they will already have some of the basics down when learning to drive a car later on.
    A zero turn doesnt do much for that, as it doesnt turn anything like a car, and with the later machines, the forward reverse pedals can help with accelerating and braking.
    mark02tj and Herminator like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast