Extracting a telephone pole - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Extracting a telephone pole

  1. Top | #21
    PikeCoGreenTractorMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Location
    near Beaver, OH
    Posts
    409
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
    Bill - Great work! I saw a couple of things in your technique that I liked, such as pulling the pole up a bit and then nudging the pole back/forth with your bucket, which helped break the bond of hard-baked clay against the pole bark and made your final pull easier. Good for you for resisting the urge to chain-up and throttle up and let-er-rip, as I have seen (and maybe have done myself).

    I use some of the same skills dragging logs out of field edges, trying to remain mindful of potential collateral damage.

    This thread demonstrates to power of GTT: put your challenge out there, solicit input, filter to your needs, perform the task and report back. What you did may help others with similar issues


    Brian


    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamT. View Post
    I could have been a dentist.

    https://youtu.be/_M79RolYpR8
    Brian




    2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

    '94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

    Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

    46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #22

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 AM
    Location
    Near Roa. VA
    Posts
    3,534
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 432 Times in 333 Posts
    It is too late now,, but, I would have cut the pole off near ground level, and attached the new flag pole to the wood pole,,

    I am kinda lazy that way,, no need to dig a new hole,,,
    WilliamT. likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

  4. Top | #23
    etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Location
    Preston County WV
    Posts
    13,184
    Thanks
    3,227
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,543 Posts
    [QUOTE=etcallhome;3321100]
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamT. View Post
    Thank you everyone, for your comments and suggestions. It went well, easier and faster than I expected. I followed my original plan of using the FEL, since Iím lazy and didnít feel like removing the backhoe. I figured if it wouldnít pull it, THEN Iíd switch out the backhoe for the IMatch. Iíve responded directly to a few comments and concerns, but I really appreciate all the feedback. Today was a good day to do this since the Missus was working from home. Sheíd be here to a) call 911 if I got squashed, and b) do some video for me. Iíve got a few stills for the thread here, and Iíll put up a video in a little while.



    Because itís fast and relatively easy to ask if Iím missing anything that could kill, injure or damage, and a whole lot less painful than finding out firsthand. Like this...



    It came out real easy with the FEL, but I learned something new, and real important concerning the 3 point.




    I hear you there. I usually go cutting with at least four chains, and Iíve got two power sharpeners, one in the shop, and one that runs off the truck battery. Iíve hit everything on can possibly hit inside wood during the course of my business.

    The pole was approximately 20í high and buried 5í into the ground for a total of 25í. Itíll burn real nice in the outdoor furnace this winter. Iíve got a metal pole that telescopes up to 30í thatís going in in its place. I sawed off the top 16í leaving a nice stump to grab. I wrapped it as best I could (reattached the one hook after the picture) and started pulling and wiggling. I didnít try to force anything, and it came up pretty fast and easy. Iíve got a bunch of work to do to clean up the ground and prep it for grass, but thatíll come as I get time.





    Attachment 699540


    Good posting and Thanks


    Seeing your chain wrapped around the pole reminded me of how I would try to pull a log out of the woods. I was always jumping off dads tractor and trying again to get the log or logs out of the woods.

    Half Hitch Knot | How to tie a Half Hitch Knot using Step-by-Step Animations | Animated Knots by Grog

    Then my dad and older brother told me how to do this.
    Take a look at the half-hitch in the posting.
    Imagine the end of the line with blue wrap is the hook on your chain.
    Take the hook and fasten it into the chain somewhere around the end of the point (the arrow)

    Connect other end to tractor, gator , 4 wheeler and away you go.

    Chain will tighten onto the log ,post . metal post . Very seldom have I found where this does not work..
    Need to correct what I posted..


    the end of the line with blue wrap ,,,,would have a hook take the hook and fasten it to the short piece of chain

    Go around the log with chain ,,

    instead of just trying to get the hook in so it will be tight against the post.

    Go around the chain going toward tractor and come back and hook to the piece of chain that is wrapped around post.

    I'll take a post today.
    WilliamT. likes this.
    Gene

    Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #24
    WilliamT.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeCoGreenTractorMan View Post
    Bill - Great work! I saw a couple of things in your technique that I liked, such as pulling the pole up a bit and then nudging the pole back/forth with your bucket, which helped break the bond of hard-baked clay against the pole bark and made your final pull easier. Good for you for resisting the urge to chain-up and throttle up and let-er-rip, as I have seen (and maybe have done myself).

    I use some of the same skills dragging logs out of field edges, trying to remain mindful of potential collateral damage.

    This thread demonstrates to power of GTT: put your challenge out there, solicit input, filter to your needs, perform the task and report back. What you did may help others with similar issues


    Brian
    Thanks, Brian, although I have to confess, I am not above throttling up and letting it rip.
    etcallhome likes this.
    Bill

    2019 2038r, FEL, backhoe, ballast box, box scraper, Artillian grapple and forks, Woods chipper, Brand X 3 pt log splitter
    2016 Gator XUV 590i
    2011 X534 all wheel steer, 54Ē deck 47Ē snowblower

  7. Top | #25
    WilliamT.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    It is too late now,, but, I would have cut the pole off near ground level, and attached the new flag pole to the wood pole,,

    I am kinda lazy that way,, no need to dig a new hole,,,
    Thatís the best part though. The hole is still there! The Missus said to me as we were putting stuff away after the job, "You know, you could just put the new flagpole there if you want. You wonít even have to dig a hole!"

    "Uhh, that was my plan from the beginning."

    "Oh. Well. Okay then."

    I will have to fill it in some, since itís 5í deep, but thatís easy.
    Bill

    2019 2038r, FEL, backhoe, ballast box, box scraper, Artillian grapple and forks, Woods chipper, Brand X 3 pt log splitter
    2016 Gator XUV 590i
    2011 X534 all wheel steer, 54Ē deck 47Ē snowblower

  8. Top | #26
    WilliamT.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I was going to cut the pole up today, but I ended up chopping down some weed trees instead. One of them had fallen and was blocking a path. I had The Claw on the front end to handle the brush, so I grabbed the pole and moved it aside for now. It reminded me of the time we gave our dog a bone which was way too big for her. She grabbed it in her teeth and ran around with it, not quite sure of what to do next.

    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	45580CC1-4CE0-4C4A-8470-35B57BAD4571.jpeg†
Views:	1†
Size:	6.81 MB†
ID:	699658
    Bill

    2019 2038r, FEL, backhoe, ballast box, box scraper, Artillian grapple and forks, Woods chipper, Brand X 3 pt log splitter
    2016 Gator XUV 590i
    2011 X534 all wheel steer, 54Ē deck 47Ē snowblower

  9. Top | #27
    Poppi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:47 PM
    Location
    Eagle, Wisconsin
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I had a similar issue a while back except it was a 2-inch black iron pipe that someone had pounded into the ground. There was about 18-inches sticking above ground. I tried pulling up on it with a chain and the loader and the pipe just laughed.

    I then wrapped the chain around the top hook on my iMatch and it pulled it right out with no problem.

    The 3PH has close to 3-times the lifting force of the loader.
    Thanks a bunch. I learned something new - wished I had known it earlier!!!!

  10. Top | #28
    Zebrafive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:58 PM
    Location
    South West Michigan
    Posts
    7,028
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 583 Times in 512 Posts
    [QUOTE=etcallhome;3321100]
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamT. View Post
    Thank you everyone, for your comments and suggestions. It went well, easier and faster than I expected. I followed my original plan of using the FEL, since Iím lazy and didnít feel like removing the backhoe. I figured if it wouldnít pull it, THEN Iíd switch out the backhoe for the IMatch. Iíve responded directly to a few comments and concerns, but I really appreciate all the feedback. Today was a good day to do this since the Missus was working from home. Sheíd be here to a) call 911 if I got squashed, and b) do some video for me. Iíve got a few stills for the thread here, and Iíll put up a video in a little while.



    Because itís fast and relatively easy to ask if Iím missing anything that could kill, injure or damage, and a whole lot less painful than finding out firsthand. Like this...



    It came out real easy with the FEL, but I learned something new, and real important concerning the 3 point.




    I hear you there. I usually go cutting with at least four chains, and Iíve got two power sharpeners, one in the shop, and one that runs off the truck battery. Iíve hit everything on can possibly hit inside wood during the course of my business.

    The pole was approximately 20í high and buried 5í into the ground for a total of 25í. Itíll burn real nice in the outdoor furnace this winter. Iíve got a metal pole that telescopes up to 30í thatís going in in its place. I sawed off the top 16í leaving a nice stump to grab. I wrapped it as best I could (reattached the one hook after the picture) and started pulling and wiggling. I didnít try to force anything, and it came up pretty fast and easy. Iíve got a bunch of work to do to clean up the ground and prep it for grass, but thatíll come as I get time.








    Good posting and Thanks


    Seeing your chain wrapped around the pole reminded me of how I would try to pull a log out of the woods. I was always jumping off dads tractor and trying again to get the log or logs out of the woods.

    Half Hitch Knot | How to tie a Half Hitch Knot using Step-by-Step Animations | Animated Knots by Grog

    Then my dad and older brother told me how to do this.
    Take a look at the half-hitch in the posting.
    Imagine the end of the line with blue wrap is the hook on your chain.
    Take the hook and fasten it into the chain somewhere around the end of the point (the arrow)

    Connect other end to tractor, gator , 4 wheeler and away you go.

    Chain will tighten onto the log ,post . metal post . Very seldom have I found where this does not work..
    When I pull T posts, I make several chain wraps up the post the drop the loose end of the chain across the end of chain attached to the bucket. After lifting out, a lot of times the T post just unwinds from the chain and falls to the ground.

    I have been wanting to buy "C" hooks for some of my chains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chooks.jpg
    WilliamT. likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

  11. Top | #29

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:51 AM
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle WV
    Posts
    1,005
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 168 Times in 96 Posts
    Nice job. You may want to check the air pressure on your front tires though. They should not be that low when applying that much weight to them. It appears from the video the rim was getting close to the ground.
    WilliamT. likes this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

  12. Top | #30

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:04 AM
    Location
    Edgmont, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamT. View Post
    I couldnít find this using search (which Iím not always good at). Just to keep myself from doing something stupid, I figured Iíd ask. I have a shortened telephone pole stuck in the ground by a previous tenant here at my house. He used to work for the phone company and planted it as a flagpole. I have obtained a real flag pole (one that wonít shred my flags with splinters) and would like to pull the pole, replacing it with mine.

    It seems to be somewhat loose in its hole, in that I can wiggle it with muscle power. Iím thinking if I chop off most of the top, while leaving enough to wrap a chain on, I should be able to pull it straight up with a chain on my loader bucket. Does this sound logical or is it a bad idea? If it is a bad idea, what are my alternatives? I donít really want to dig, as I have underground water lines running from the outdoor furnace to my shop very close by, and Iím not that good with the backhoe yet.
    As a ex-lineman who placed and removed many poles, you have the right idea. Make sure you cut the top of the pole off so you can control it once you get it out of the ground. The last thing you want is to pull that pole and have all that weight above the chain. It will not be pretty. 2-3 feet left above ground should be comfortable to get a chain around. The 3 feet extra also allows for chain slippage while pulling. Some poles have a bell shaped bottom and can be a ***** to pull. If the loader won't pull it, try pushing and pulling with the tractor to widen the hole. We used a mechanical jack, similar to a off road jack but shorter, when all else failed. A rigged car jack on lumber to stop the jack from sinking should work.
    Hope this helps and good luck.
    WilliamT. likes this.
    Bill

    2016 1025R TLB, 54D Auto Connect MMM and Deck Dolly, Frontier Pallet Forks, 54" Bucket w/welded hooks, 54" HLA snow pusher w/ back drag, BK Expanded Backhoe Storage Dolly

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts