Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Extracting a telephone pole

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Extracting a telephone pole

I couldnít find this using search (which Iím not always good at). Just to keep myself from doing something stupid, I figured Iíd ask. I have a shortened telephone pole stuck in the ground by a previous tenant here at my house. He used to work for the phone company and planted it as a flagpole. I have obtained a real flag pole (one that wonít shred my flags with splinters) and would like to pull the pole, replacing it with mine.

It seems to be somewhat loose in its hole, in that I can wiggle it with muscle power. Iím thinking if I chop off most of the top, while leaving enough to wrap a chain on, I should be able to pull it straight up with a chain on my loader bucket. Does this sound logical or is it a bad idea? If it is a bad idea, what are my alternatives? I donít really want to dig, as I have underground water lines running from the outdoor furnace to my shop very close by, and Iím not that good with the backhoe yet.
    jdforever likes this.
    Bill

2019 2038r, FEL, backhoe, ballast box, box scraper, Artillian grapple and forks, Woods chipper, Brand X 3 pt log splitter
    2016 Gator XUV 590i
    2011 X534 all wheel steer, 54Ē deck 47Ē snowblower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Thanks
    Why haven't you tried the loader lifting it yet? Nothing tried, nothing gained. As long as you have enough ballast so the rear stays on the ground, nothing will get hurt. With my 1500# RFM on the rear, I run out of lifting power before I run out of ballast.

Dave
    arlen and WilliamT. like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks
    Do you have something like a "3 pt trailer hitch" on your tractor? If so, I'd probably use that and a chain or two in order to try and pull it out once you cut it down. You're going to have a lot more lifting POWER with the 3PH than with the FEL. Once you have it broke loose with the 3PH, maybe use the FEL to get it the rest of the way out since that gives you more lifting height.

Be careful if you lift with the 3PH that you don't pull the tractor over. Go slow. Raise the ROPS. Use your seatbelt.

The pole may be full of creosote which may mess up your chain on your chainsaw.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Thanks
    I would insert a small stake right next to it to check for concrete. If there isn't any, it seems like the loader should have enough capacity (with rear ballast). You might also be able to bring it up in stages using the 3-pt hitch.

(A related issue is the suction created by a wet hole, which often causes problems with manual post removal. This shouldn't apply to your lift, but getting the water pool moving by pushing a garden hose into the hole can help break that suction.)
    jdforever, PJR832 and WilliamT. like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Do you have something like a "3 pt trailer hitch" on your tractor? If so, I'd probably use that and a chain or two in order to try and pull it out once you cut it down. You're going to have a lot more lifting POWER with the 3PH than with the FEL. Once you have it broke loose with the 3PH, maybe use the FEL to get it the rest of the way out since that gives you more lifting height.
    I had a similar issue a while back except it was a 2-inch black iron pipe that someone had pounded into the ground. There was about 18-inches sticking above ground. I tried pulling up on it with a chain and the loader and the pipe just laughed.

I then wrapped the chain around the top hook on my iMatch and it pulled it right out with no problem.

The 3PH has close to 3-times the lifting force of the loader.
    etcallhome, fdmars, arlen and 5 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I had a similar issue a while back except it was a 2-inch black iron pipe that someone had pounded into the ground. There was about 18-inches sticking above ground. I tried pulling up on it with a chain and the loader and the pipe just laughed.

I then wrapped the chain around the top hook on my iMatch and it pulled it right out with no problem.

The 3PH has close to 3-times the lifting force of the loader.
    Thank you for that info
    etcallhome, PJR832 and WilliamT. like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 AM
    Thanks
    BillyT -

I like your thinking on this. Shortening the pole reduces the risk of it falling back towards you when it clears the hole and it reduces the overall weight to pull . Rear ballast is a must have also, to keep your rig stable while pulling.

I've used my loader bucket with KBOGH's and chain to pull loose stumps, metal t-posts, and defunct satellite dish poles with quickcrete anchors from soft ground.

Having a helper/spotter might assist; I envision the possibility of your former phone pole falling forward when the base clears the hole. The chain might also need to be repositioned as the pole is removed. I recommend double wrapping the chain to maximize contact area. If you have a ladder and can tie a tag line near the top of the pole, your helper might be able to guide the pole fall into a safe direction.

Good luck on this operation. Understand your risks and fall-back plan should things start to go wrong,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamT. View Post
    I couldnít find this using search (which Iím not always good at). Just to keep myself from doing something stupid, I figured Iíd ask. I have a shortened telephone pole stuck in the ground by a previous tenant here at my house. He used to work for the phone company and planted it as a flagpole. I have obtained a real flag pole (one that wonít shred my flags with splinters) and would like to pull the pole, replacing it with mine.

It seems to be somewhat loose in its hole, in that I can wiggle it with muscle power. Iím thinking if I chop off most of the top, while leaving enough to wrap a chain on, I should be able to pull it straight up with a chain on my loader bucket. Does this sound logical or is it a bad idea? If it is a bad idea, what are my alternatives? I donít really want to dig, as I have underground water lines running from the outdoor furnace to my shop very close by, and Iím not that good with the backhoe yet.
    WilliamT. likes this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 AM
    Thanks
    I pulled 6x6 fence posts using my loader like that. I used my forks with a steel cable wrapped around the forks and the post. Like the other poster said. You want it balanced so when the pole is lifted out, it won't be top heavy and fall over on you or the tractor.
    Zebrafive and WilliamT. like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,543 Posts
    I've always had better luck with 3ph..than using fel
    mark02tj, jdforever and WilliamT. like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks
    Iíd use the 3pt hitch to pull it. But Iíd shorten it first and have a helper just in case. Iíve had way better luck with 3pt than FEL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast