Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Property line question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 PM
    Thanks

Property line question

Hi all,

I'm looking for some sort of app that I can use to connect 2 points. Basically, I want to drop 2 "pins" at 2 property markers and have a line drawn on google earth view. It doesn't need to be super accurate, whatever the accuracy of the phone is would be fine. I tried messing around with google maps on my Iphone but couldn't find anything.

The line is about 1500'.
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Thanks
    I had a guy out here that I was talking to about using a forestry mulcher on our land. He had an app called "LandGlide" that gave him a pretty good idea where the property lines were. I'm not quite sure that's what you're looking for though.

It sounds like you want to superimpose a property line on GoogleMaps, presumably so you can see from the aerial view if someone is encroaching on the line. You might want to see if your county has a GIS system available to you. Our County Auditor has their GIS mapping system tied to the property tax system. You can see the aerial views with the lines already imposed on them. Pretty cool stuff... BUT.... While this can give you a pretty good idea of where things sit on the property, it's no substitute for having a good surveyor mark the line. On our county site, it looked like the neighbor was expanding his driveway over our property line. After the surveyors came out, turns out that he was a good 20' away.

I'm sure that ColonyPark can weigh in with better info.

Also, if my assumption of what you're trying to accomplish is incorrect, please let us know.
    mjncad and 12dbsinad like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

mjncad (08-15-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    I had a guy out here that I was talking to about using a forestry mulcher on our land. He had an app called "LandGlide" that gave him a pretty good idea where the property lines were. I'm not quite sure that's what you're looking for though.

It sounds like you want to superimpose a property line on GoogleMaps, presumably so you can see from the aerial view if someone is encroaching on the line. You might want to see if your county has a GIS system available to you. Our County Auditor has their GIS mapping system tied to the property tax system. You can see the aerial views with the lines already imposed on them. Pretty cool stuff... BUT.... While this can give you a pretty good idea of where things sit on the property, it's no substitute for having a good surveyor mark the line. On our county site, it looked like the neighbor was expanding his driveway over our property line. After the surveyors came out, turns out that he was a good 20' away.

I'm sure that ColonyPark can weigh in with better info.

Also, if my assumption of what you're trying to accomplish is incorrect, please let us know.
    Our county has this also but they are quick to tell you the are reference lines only to be used as a guide.
    mjncad, mark02tj and 12dbsinad like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks

Measure Distance feature on Google Maps

There's a pop up menu on Google Maps - click with the right mouse button - the last item is "Measure Distance". Right click on the starting point and select "Measure Distance". Then click on the segment endpoint and the distance will be displayed towards the bottom of the window. Additional clicks will result in new segments, each with the length displayed and the total length displayed. If the last click is on the origin, the enclosed area will also be calculated and displayed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 7.58.16 PM.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	699672

Zooming in will give more accuracy.

I think this also works on mobile devices, but you might have to use the website instead of the app.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAllen For This Useful Post:

Herminator (08-14-2019)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    I use this link below from a PC all the time. You can draw a simple point-to-point line or outline an area.

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and 12dbsinad like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks
    Google earth Pro is what I used for my job. Free download.

Had drawing features not found in Google Maps.
    mjncad, BigJim55 and 12dbsinad like this.
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    1994 445: Sold
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    If the ground is semi flat....I used a huge role of hay string for my 1400' line.

lots of tree trimming and 500' elevation change...had to hang weights in places.

on the ground work...not digifal.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the great feedback! I never thought of the measuring idea on google maps, I did see that on my phone. I will give that a try. I may also download google Pro.

Again, I'm just wanting a rough idea were I am on one side of my property. It's all woods and is difficult to tell were the line even approx is.

The GIS for my area doesn't support google earth view for some reason, not sure why. A message pops up stating this when I click on the icon.

Thank you all again you've given me some great ideas.
    BigJim55 and Randog like this.
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08 PM
    Thanks
    One more idea...

Use theduke's string idea, attach bright ribbons every few yards, then find a friend with a drone to fly over and take photos/video.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randog View Post
    Google earth Pro is what I used for my job. Free download.

Had drawing features not found in Google Maps.
    I use Google Earth to see what's near houses my wife finds on Zillow. All kidding aside, Google Earth is worth having on your PC.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast