Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: Hornets Nest Removal

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks

Hornets Nest Removal

So how do you remove a wasp/hornet nest about 8ft up in a tree that's about the size of a basketball?

Looking for quick, effective and minimal risk of getting stung.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    If the tree can tolerate it, I would use a large torch so anything trying to fly out gets its wings burned off. If not, look for the FOAMING wasp & hornet sprays. They seal off the nest with a sticky glob of foam to prevent escapes. (Buy an extra can and do some target practice if you're uncomfortable.) With the liquid sprays, a bee can sometimes follow the stream back toward you. Do everything after dusk, of course...
    mjncad, PaDave, jdforever and 3 others like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RodW For This Useful Post:

JDSwan87†(08-17-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
    So how do you remove a wasp/hornet nest about 8ft up in a tree that's about the size of a basketball?

Looking for quick, effective and minimal risk of getting stung.

I had this same issue a few weeks ago. I used a 12 gauge shotgun with some buckshot and stood as far away as possible. Those hornets had no idea what was happening, nest gone, hornets gone the next day.
    mjncad, Duke Snyder, pappa and 8 others like this.
    2019 2025r: Galaxy R3+, 60D AutoConnect, 120r loader, 260b backhoe, AP10F 42Ē forks

1948 Farmall Cub: L-54 snow plow, 193 one bottom plow
    Husqvarna push mower (I forget the model)
    Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw: 24" bar w/ skip tooth, 20Ē Power Match full comp
    Craftsman 18" chainsaw

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rjpoog1989 For This Useful Post:

JDSwan87†(08-17-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 AM
    Thanks
    rj - I had the same thought, only with smaller shot like #7 or #8 to maximize the collateral damage. From my experience, the soldiers will continue to return to where they remember "home" was, even if it is now blown to smithereens; and they will defend their turf, since they are, afterall, @$$holes.

There are places in southern Ohio that will remove nests for free in order to collect the venom for research purposes.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by rjpoog1989 View Post
    I had this same issue a few weeks ago. I used a 12 gauge shotgun with some buckshot and stood as far away as possible. Those hornets had no idea what was happening, nest gone, hornets gone the next day.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PikeCoGreenTractorMan For This Useful Post:

JDSwan87†(08-17-2019)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Thanks
    JD, A shotgun with skeet loads, #9 shot, has about 400 pellets and the nest may contain 500-1000 wasps! I'd go with a spray. Wait until dusk/dark and stand directly under the nest so you can spray into the opening. Spray for 3-5 seconds and stand back! From a distance, spray to saturate the nest. Check the nest the next day for "anyone" flying around. If so, repeat spraying process at night. Continue until nothing is flying. Then wait & check daily for a week, THEN safe to knock nest down...but knock it down and run anyhow. Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rwmeyer For This Useful Post:

JDSwan87†(08-17-2019)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpoog1989 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeCoGreenTractorMan View Post
    rj - I had the same thought, only with smaller shot like #7 or #8 to maximize the collateral damage. From my experience, the soldiers will continue to return to where they remember "home" was, even if it is now blown to smithereens; and they will defend their turf, since they are, afterall, @$$holes.

There are places in southern Ohio that will remove nests for free in order to collect the venom for research purposes.

Brian
    While I like the shotgun idea, the nest is located about 20' from the edge of the road.

As for the free removal for venom, I had no idea that option existed! I did some more specific Google searching and have a call into a local guy. If the free removal doesn't work out, I will borrow my neighbors propane roofing torchdown torch and send it up in flames.

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 06:47 PM
    Thanks
    One more use for WD40. It will take down wasps. It coats their wings so they can't fly. Found out by accident. I was working on my old Mercury and didn't realize they'd made a nest in the car's fender. When they started to come out of the fender I blasted them with the only thing I had, a can of WD40. It worked, but I've tried those foaming blaster since then. The blasters work better. If you opt for the torch, do it after dark and stick the flame close to the entrance hole. Sticking it into the hole may blow out the flame then you are in trouble. Good Luck and wear thick clothing.
    mjncad, BigJim55, JDSwan87 and 2 others like this.
    2018 JD 1025r, 54" mower deck, backhoe, front-end-loader, Braber Equipment post hole auger, 9 and 12" augers,
    1999 +/- Craftsman lawn tractor, 46" mower deck.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NotYourGrandfathersDeere For This Useful Post:

JDSwan87†(08-17-2019)

15. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    Get at least 2 cans of foam. It goes fast. Saturate the nest In the evening when itís nice and cool(er). Leave the nest up a day or two as the spray helps to keep killing any that may have been out and come back. Then shoot it down or something.

Now me personally i like doing it Iím the middle of the day and video it but I donít suggest that
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

16. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    I work construction. I also accidentally found out wd-40 kills wasp but even I wouldnít try it on a whole hornets nest unless it had to be done now and couldnít wait. Wd takes a second to kill them.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeCoGreenTractorMan View Post

Brian
    I figured they might come back, but they havenít. Iím sure theyíve relocated, hopefully away from my property.
    BigJim55, JDSwan87 and Herminator like this.
    2019 2025r: Galaxy R3+, 60D AutoConnect, 120r loader, 260b backhoe, AP10F 42Ē forks

1948 Farmall Cub: L-54 snow plow, 193 one bottom plow
    Husqvarna push mower (I forget the model)
    Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw: 24" bar w/ skip tooth, 20Ē Power Match full comp
    Craftsman 18" chainsaw

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast