Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Tar and chip driveway

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 AM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks

Tar and chip driveway

Well my wife and I are taking the plunge and getting our driveway tarred and chipped in the next few weeks.

Over the past few years I’ve gotten tired of plowing the driveway and pushing stones into the yard.

We’re having a local company come and do the work. They are putting down 2 layers of modified 2B and then a top coat of 1/2.

They did the blacktop driveway at our old house it it held up extremely well over the years. Hoping this will do even better. They are telling me 20-25 years without doing much to it.

They just did a top coat on my in-laws blacktop driveway.

We’re all happy with how it looks. Once we get some rains and all the dust gets washed off the stone it should get darker.

This is another job they just finished in town.
    This has been rained on a few times but was dry when the pic was taken. I like the darker look.

So we will see how it goes. They are planning on 3000 gallons of “tar material” and about 160 tons of stone.

Now to start looking for a 59” blower for the 955 now thst I won’t have to worry about throwing 3/4” stone everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    glc, Gizmo2, pappa and 11 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Thanks
    My neighbor had that done about 2 years ago, but it is still white. Never turned color at all. We call it chip and seal here. They use it on some of the gravel roads and put up a sign that says "Dust Control". They even put it over one of the roads that had old blacktop paving on it to make it last longer.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    My neighbor had that done about 2 years ago, but it is still white. Never turned color at all. We call it chip and seal here. They use it on some of the gravel roads and put up a sign that says "Dust Control". They even put it over one of the roads that had old blacktop paving on it to make it last longer.

Dave
    The picture of the pavement in the park has had a black sealer coating put on top of the gravel. The top picture has not.
    Indiana has been doing chip & seal on a lot of state roads the last few years. They spray tar on the pavement, then spread the small gravel over the tar. About a week later, they sweep off any loose gravel, then spray the black sealer coat over the gravel.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,255 Times in 1,400 Posts
    PennDOT uses that procedure here. I refuse to drive over it for a week or two. It's too hard to clean the tar spatter off of the side of the vehicles.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 2,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    PennDOT uses that procedure here. I refuse to drive over it for a week or two. It's too hard to clean the tar spatter off of the side of the vehicles.
    We are seeing it more and more around here. Where they used to pave a new top coat they now use the tar and chip even on 55mph roads.

Talk about a mess - have you ever driven through when they are laying it down?

Around here I’ve never seen it used on a driveway. They are either gravel or regular pavement.

Curious as to the cost difference of the tar and chip vs. regular pavement....I would love something like this so I could use salt and have a non ice pack driveway most of the winter.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,199 Posts
    PennDOT just did that in the Harrisburg area to a very busy road with dangerous intersections and the dust was so bad that drivers could not see the vehicle in front of them. All you could see was a giant cloud of dust.

They were finally forced to come back a couple days later and sweep the entire area clean. The delay was because they had to "borrow" a road sweeper from some local township.

2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post

Dave
    Here they also call it "chip and seal" I think the chip is for what it does to the paint on your car/truck. The signs they put out say "LOOSE STONES"

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    The picture of the pavement in the park has had a black sealer coating put on top of the gravel. The top picture has not.
    Indiana has been doing chip & seal on a lot of state roads the last few years. They spray tar on the pavement, then spread the small gravel over the tar. About a week later, they sweep off any loose gravel, then spray the black sealer coat over the gravel.
    When they add the top sealing coat here, they call it "fog seal" I have seen it done in sub divisions, but not on rural roads here.

I wait even longer, I do not want the paint chips.

Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    We are seeing it more and more around here. Where they used to pave a new top coat they now use the tar and chip even on 55mph roads.

Talk about a mess - have you ever driven through when they are laying it down?

Around here I’ve never seen it used on a driveway. They are either gravel or regular pavement.

Curious as to the cost difference of the tar and chip vs. regular pavement....I would love something like this so I could use salt and have a non ice pack driveway most of the winter.
    My Mom drove through the tar, before the chips were put down. I asked her WHY? She said she HAD to go to the store It took me two cans of tar remover to clean up her car

Here, chip and seal, when done over freshly graded gravel, two applications is just over 1/2 the cost of hot mix asphalt, maybe 5% more.
    DRobinson, bhill, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    PennDOT just did that in the Harrisburg area to a very busy road with dangerous intersections and the dust was so bad that drivers could not see the vehicle in front of them. All you could see was a giant cloud of dust.

They were finally forced to come back a couple days later and sweep the entire area clean. The delay was because they had to "borrow" a road sweeper from some local township.

Interesting..... I have never seen any of those applications around here getting dusty at all. They must be putting down a layer of rock that has fines in it. Here they use clean small gravel. I have never really looked at the size closely, but it appears to be as small as pea gravel.

Dave
    BigJim55 likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J3 Driver View Post
    Well my wife and I are taking the plunge and getting our driveway tarred and chipped in the next few weeks.

Over the past few years I’ve gotten tired of plowing the driveway and pushing stones into the yard.

We’re having a local company come and do the work. They are putting down 2 layers of modified 2B and then a top coat of 1/2.

They did the blacktop driveway at our old house it it held up extremely well over the years. Hoping this will do even better. They are telling me 20-25 years without doing much to it.

They just did a top coat on my in-laws blacktop driveway.

We’re all happy with how it looks. Once we get some rains and all the dust gets washed off the stone it should get darker.

This is another job they just finished in town.
    This has been rained on a few times but was dry when the pic was taken. I like the darker look.

So we will see how it goes. They are planning on 3000 gallons of “tar material” and about 160 tons of stone.

Now to start looking for a 59” blower for the 955 now thst I won’t have to worry about throwing 3/4” stone everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This looks like something I could have done. Who did you have do it for you? Do you think they take jobs as far west as me?
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    2019 2025r: Galaxy R3+, 60D AutoConnect, 120r loader, 260b backhoe, AP10F 42” forks

1948 Farmall Cub: L-54 snow plow, 193 one bottom plow
    Husqvarna push mower (I forget the model)
    Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw: 24" bar w/ skip tooth, 20” Power Match full comp
    Craftsman 18" chainsaw

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,372 Times in 1,075 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpoog1989 View Post
    This looks like something I could have done. Who did you have do it for you? Do you think they take jobs as far west as me?
    as far as i know-u can get Quaker oil sales out of Johnstown,Pa to do the same kind of thing at ur place. mostly what they do is lay down some tar and gravel over it-then roll the heck out of it.
    but i bet they would do whatever way u want it --of course its gonna take a few of this
    DRobinson and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast