• 2 Post By Treefarmer
  • 2 Post By ttazzman

Thread: When does corn go "bad" in the field

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 10:09 AM
    Thanks

When does corn go "bad" in the field

I lived most of my life in CT and planted small plots (maybe 25 x 75) of sweet corn for the table. I was fortunate enough to have good ground, good weather, and sufficient rainfall for a good harvest.

Now in Tenn, this year is HOT with sparse rainfall (Athens, TN area) and I see corn in the fields with probably 75%-90% of the stalks brown. It doesn't look like sweet corn so I'm assuming its for livestock feed, other feed, or maybe flour or ethanol (??) I've seen some fields already harvested by chopping ears & stalks (I'm assuming for silage/fodder), but, so far, no one is just harvesting the ears...as I've seen here in the past.

My question is how long can corn stalks be brown before it can no longer be useful as feed, silage, anything!

Inquiring minds want to know! Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwmeyer For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (08-24-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Thanks
    For picking and shelling as long as it stands it will still be good in spring. If the ears themselves lay on the ground and are wet they will rot or grow.

For silage there should be some green in the stalks and the ears can dent but not dry.
    Last edited by Herminator; 08-24-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    Treefarmer, PJR832 and ttazzman like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

rwmeyer (08-24-2019)

6. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks

Good answer

Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    For picking and shelling as long as it stands it will still be good in spring. If the ears themselves lay on the ground and are wet they will rot or grow.

For silage there should be some green in the stalks and the ears can dent but not dry.
    Good answer.

Just one add on- for some reason two fields near our house had the tops pretty much all blow over in a storm. Since it was above the ear, no harm and might actually pick easier. On the flip side, corn that's all the way flat on the ground is a holy nuisance to combine. Sometimes you can only run one way in the field and if it's bad enough, I've seen people use grain headers instead of the corn header. That makes for a long, frustrating harvest.

Treefarmer
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Thanks
    in our area SW MO.....just about time to start chopping corn for silage.........corn pickers usually pick around here about whitetail deer season depending on field moisture condition...IE mid to late november
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements