does anyone screen their own soil?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Maddog
  • 1 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By johnH123
  • 1 Post By GREENVA

Thread: does anyone screen their own soil?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks

does anyone screen their own soil?

We are digging up stumps and rocks from around our cabins, and we are going to need cleanish fill to help level spots. We've got 20 acres of woods that we can get fill from, but as this is going where a lawn is, we'd like to keep larger rocks out. Does anyone have experience screening their own dirt like this? I was thinking of building a frame and using 2x4" mesh fencing, and dumping a bucket load of dirt at a time on it, but I'm not sure how well this would work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 02:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisc1985 View Post
    We are digging up stumps and rocks from around our cabins, and we are going to need cleanish fill to help level spots. We've got 20 acres of woods that we can get fill from, but as this is going where a lawn is, we'd like to keep larger rocks out. Does anyone have experience screening their own dirt like this? I was thinking of building a frame and using 2x4" mesh fencing, and dumping a bucket load of dirt at a time on it, but I'm not sure how well this would work.
    I've done it several times almost like you describe here. Two x four frame with 1/2" square open mesh is sufficient. Smaller screen like 1/4" generally will clog up. You can put the screen on a table top that you design so that it can be rocked back & forth and/or bumped so the dirt falls thru the screen. The other method would be to just put the frame on an angle of about 45 degrees & then using a shovel just throw the dirt into the screen. This usually requires you to pick up the droppings at the bottom of the screen & re shovel it. Lot of back breaking work but good results.

If you have a lot to do, suggest you search on google for a set up to build something like a slew box used for gold mining. In other words you want to build a motorized table. Use a low RPM motor or gear one down. Put on a pulley attached to an eccentric linkage that will allow the screen table to wiggle back & forth. Make it all up from junk parts & a motor. A washing machine motor would work with the right sized ratios of the pulleys to slow it down. That's all I can say. Of course the alternative would be to buy pre screened top soil. Sometimes paying the price can be worth it. You did not say how much you need. Good luck. I don't screen no more, I got smart & lazy at the same time.

etcallhome, BigJim55 and johnH123 like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Thanks
    My kingdom for a trommel screener!

I've thought about this ALOT because my entire lot is a mix of sand, gravel and boulders. If I had the equipment to do it I'd love to take off the top 2' of soil and screen all of it. I'd need something with a lot more capacity than anything I could build though.

The 2x4's and 1/2" hardware cloth things work fine for a couple of cubic yards worth of dirt. I dunno that I'd want to do much more than that though. If you are only worried about the bigger stuff you could probably get away with using something like the goat panels that Tractor Supply sells. Those have a 4"x4" mesh and use pretty heavy wire.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I had been looking at the rotating type, but unfortunately, there wont be power near where we would be grabbing dirt from... Oops. That's why I was kind of liking just a screen to dump through.

I think 4x4 might be too big as we live in a place with lots of glacier deposited rocks, and there's a lot of it.. Haha

Also, would you guys recommend doing it by the front end bucketful, or using the backhoe?

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    I can give you a name when I get home of a co. That is making a rake that attachrs to your existing bucket. Get you down to 3 in.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    I can give you a name when I get home of a co. That is making a rake that attachrs to your existing bucket. Get you down to 3 in.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Sure, that sounds interesting!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I've done it several times almost like you describe here. Two x four frame with 1/2" square open mesh is sufficient. Smaller screen like 1/4" generally will clog up. You can put the screen on a table top that you design so that it can be rocked back & forth and/or bumped so the dirt falls thru the screen. The other method would be to just put the frame on an angle of about 45 degrees & then using a shovel just throw the dirt into the screen. This usually requires you to pick up the droppings at the bottom of the screen & re shovel it. Lot of back breaking work but good results.

If you have a lot to do, suggest you search on google for a set up to build something like a slew box used for gold mining. In other words you want to build a motorized table. Use a low RPM motor or gear one down. Put on a pulley attached to an eccentric linkage that will allow the screen table to wiggle back & forth. Make it all up from junk parts & a motor. A washing machine motor would work with the right sized ratios of the pulleys to slow it down. That's all I can say. Of course the alternative would be to buy pre screened top soil. Sometimes paying the price can be worth it. You did not say how much you need. Good luck. I don't screen no more, I got smart & lazy at the same time.

Or, you could just securely attach a high rpm motor to the frame, then get a 3" thick solid round chunk of metal. Cut it in half across the middle and put it on the output shaft of the motor.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Here is a video I found on youtube of guy screening topsoil. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb_fLo1NZX8
    BigJim55 likes this.
    *JOHN DEERE 2038R w/ 220R FEL-72" AUTOCONNECT MMM-270B BACKHOE-8"-16" BUCKET-KBOHC-IMATCH QUICK HITCH w/KBOHTH-BALLAST BOX-42" ARTILLIAN FORKS-FRONTIER RC2060-FRONTIER RB2072-LANDPRIDE CA1556-LANDPRIDE FSP 700-LANDPRIDE PD25-12'-24" AUGERS-EA 60" GARDEN BEDDER-EA 72" HD LAND PLANE-NORTHSTAR 55 GAL SPRAYER-TUFF TOP SCR-44-COUNTYLINE CARRYALL
    *JOHN DEERE Z930M 60" MOD-FULL SUSPENSION SEAT-ZGLIDE SUSPENSION-XTWEEL TIRES

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,101 Posts

soil screener

the best screener I have yet to see on u-tube is the one that bob keeland built from new finland, Canada, same area where Paul Short lives that does all the u-tube videos. it was built out of odds and ends that he had around the house and out of wood and it it skakes yet to boot, check it out, big jim

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements